Synthetic oil, regular oil - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines

Synthetic oil, regular oil

Old 12-07-2017, 07:53 AM
Junior User

Lawnpro979 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Synthetic oil, regular oil

Has anyone changed to synthetic oil, then got oil leaks, and then went back to regular oil?

i changed over and was wondering if the oil leak will stop. After changing back?

Thanks
Old 12-07-2017, 08:25 AM
Postmaster

speakerfritz is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.speakerfritz is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawnpro979 View Post
Has anyone changed to synthetic oil, then got oil leaks, and then went back to regular oil?

i changed over and was wondering if the oil leak will stop. After changing back?

Thanks
yes, synthetic oil cleans out your engine sludge and if you have seal leaks, this will result in leaks sine the sludge is gone.

going back to regular oil will help restore the sludge and if you have seal leaks, the sludge will stop up the leak.

this is a masking effect. the oil is not the cause of the leak....bad seals are.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:43 AM
Postmaster

Chuck's First Ford has a good reputation on FTE.Chuck's First Ford has a good reputation on FTE.
this is SO 1970's..... an continues...

Education is key.

Chrome muffler bearings... continues. or is it blinker fluid

Speakerfritz is Correct.

and to add. synthetic has the ability to get into small places.. for better lubrication. .. my opinion.
so more leaks to tired engines.

FYI, synthetic oil was developed during world war 2 (II).... went into general production about 1950......
I have been using it since 1974...
Old 12-07-2017, 04:51 PM
Junior User

Lawnpro979 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck's First Ford View Post
this is SO 1970's..... an continues...

Education is key.

Chrome muffler bearings... continues. or is it blinker fluid

Speakerfritz is Correct.

and to add. synthetic has the ability to get into small places.. for better lubrication. .. my opinion.
so more leaks to tired engines.

FYI, synthetic oil was developed during world war 2 (II).... went into general production about 1950......
I have been using it since 1974...

WOW! I wish I were like you!
Old 12-07-2017, 04:58 PM
Postmaster

Chuck's First Ford has a good reputation on FTE.Chuck's First Ford has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawnpro979 View Post
WOW! I wish I were like you!

WHY??? I am OLD.... but not slow..
Old 12-08-2017, 12:28 AM
Posting Guru

droldsmorland has a good reputation on FTE.droldsmorland has a good reputation on FTE.
To answer the OPs question. Its likely that the leak will slow or stop by switching back. If you have a high mileage engine then it's possible that both lubricants will leak. The leak simply wasn't as prevalent on regular oil.

Dinosaur juice has a much larger molecular structure over synthetic oil. Synthetic will leak where dino didn't simply because the smaller molecules allow it to slip past seals which were broken in on dino juice. What I mean by this is if an engine started life on dino juice and is fairly well "seasoned" and then synthetic is added, chances are really good it will leak past seals, rings etc...just as the OP is experiencing. If an engine starts life with synth then you are ok. You are not going to hurt anything from an incompatibility standpoint between the two lubricants. You will just burn and drip a lot of synthetic oil which is money down the drain and storm sewers. If you're trying to achieve the protection synthetic offers try adding ProLong to the dino oil. If your trying to extend your oil change intervals to rival synthetics consider a semi-synthetic blend, with ProLong and changing your oil per an oil analysis. The semi blend may have enough fat to not leak?
Old 12-08-2017, 06:50 AM
Postmaster

CollinsCD has a good reputation on FTE.CollinsCD has a good reputation on FTE.CollinsCD has a good reputation on FTE.
This happened to me on my old Ford 8N tractor. Switched the gear fluid over to better synthetic oil and developed leaks at the axle bearings. Went back to dino oil and leaks stopped. The real fix would be to replace seals but I'm too lazy to tear down this tractor.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:49 AM
Senior User

bleeds blue is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have switched from dino to synthetic in my last three trucks. All with over 100k on them. Not a single leak. Im not saying it doesnt happen, just never had a problem with it myself.
Old 12-12-2017, 02:42 PM
Senior User

Chuck-B is starting off with a positive reputation.
I was a hard head about synthetic oil being man made crap until I educated myself, now I wouldn't use anything but. The molecules in organic oil are all different shapes and sizes. As organic oil ages the smaller molecules tend to break down (and create sludge) thus increasing the space between the molecules resulting in a breakdown in protection. There is no protection in the spaces between the molecules and you're metal on metal. Now of course this is on a microscopic level, but over 300,000 miles it takes its toll. Because synthetic oil is man made, all the molecules are the same shape and size. They also don't break down as fast thus reducing sludge and probably why your oil leak came back. If it were me, I would get the leak fixed and use synthetic oil.
Old 12-12-2017, 06:59 PM
Senior User

geekwithoutacause is starting off with a positive reputation.
mmm, where is the popcorn..

Use regular oil, but change on time. And use motorcraft filters. All you need. Engine will outlive the rest.