6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

2009 F450 6.4L Turbo Performance concerns

Old 12-06-2017, 10:18 PM
ETCrockett
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 F450 6.4L Turbo Performance concerns

I have 2009 F450 DRW with the 6.4L Turbo. This is my every day vehicle and is used to tow a 42' 5th wheel at 16,000 lbs. In September, the 2nd alternator (bottom of engine) caught fire. The Ford dealership had to replace both alternators, air box, one battery, and the main engine harness. Since getting it back it seems to have plenty of boost put not power at take off or pulling a load. Towing the 5th wheel on the interstate at 60-65 mph is producing a steady 20-25 psi to maintain speed. When not pulling a load, and you want to pass someone or pull out, it seems to load up before taking off. I have 118K on this truck. It has never once used oil, I get the white smoke with regens, and the engine is completely stock with no mods. I will say sense the repairs, I do get more smoking like a regen which makes me wonder if the fire damaged the turbo seals and no one caught it at the dealer. I get about 12.5 mpg driving to and from work. Maybe I'm being paranoid since the fire. I thought maybe someone who has been around diesels and the 6.4L more than me could advise if this behavior sounds normal.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Old 12-07-2017, 01:02 AM
Copper.Farm
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sound like Your DPF is aging.

Old 12-07-2017, 12:43 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 975 Likes on 750 Posts
did they replace the sensors in the airbox or check the wiring harness for them.

the data your providing is not horrible...but since you are indicating a drastic change...maybe the air intake related sensors have a problem.

what about your engine vent canister...how does that look?

whats the weather where your at??? are you using 5W40 or 15W40 oil?

im curious where the second battery is mounted?

Old 12-07-2017, 06:19 PM
Picton
Senior User
Crockett seems to be experiencing a similar issue to mine. I can't decide if something is wrong, or if I just forgot what driving a stock HP 6.4 is like. Lots of turbo boost...with no real feel for pulling/acceleration. No codes or anything. Replaced the MAP sensor and EBP sensor already.

Old 12-08-2017, 10:36 PM
ETCrockett
New User
All great questions. They replaced the airbox, hose, and sensor. There is a battery on both front corners of the engine compartment. They replaced the battery on the passenger side where the fire was. The alternators sit on top of each other on the passenger side of the engine. If you you are looking at your engine and see the airbox on the left, just imagine flames shooting up just in front of the airbox next to the block. Not pretty! I live in the Indianapolis, IN area and run Shell T6 5W40 year round. I add DieselKlean to the fuel tank every other fill up. Never had water in the system, doesn't use oil, and I have changed or flush every form of liquid this past year except the front transfer case. I bought the truck in September 2013 and she has never used one drop of oil. About the 2nd month I had it, I was introduced to smoke screen the regen lays down. Hell I thought I had blown an engine the first time it happened. It became excessive so I took back to the dealer because it was still under warranty. Ford engineers had them replace turbo cooler and downloaded an upgrade to the computer.

Can you explain more about what is meant by the DPF might be aging? Not really a mechanic and learning my way around this diesel engine. I was think about getting a code reader to see if I could pull any codes. Will any code reader work on this truck or is there certain feature I need to be checking for on a code reader?

Old 12-08-2017, 10:57 PM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

Received 85 Likes on 58 Posts
A general code reader I don't think will read some of the special modules on these trucks.
I am thinking the DPF aging comment is saying that the DPF is cleaned by dumping extra diesel into the exhaust system to "burn" out the soot in the filter. But over time the filter slowly get clogged and the "burn" out part of the process doesn't work as well.

Old 12-09-2017, 06:10 AM
ETCrockett
New User
Originally Posted by Firefighter 1406
A general code reader I don't think will read some of the special modules on these trucks.
I am thinking the DPF aging comment is saying that the DPF is cleaned by dumping extra diesel into the exhaust system to "burn" out the soot in the filter. But over time the filter slowly get clogged and the "burn" out part of the process doesn't work as well.
Thanks Firefighter. I was afraid that is what was what the DPF comment was referencing. I have heard that it can be as much as $3-4K to replace the DPF. I think I saw somewhere that is the time when people change out the airbox, straight pipe the exhaust and delete the DPF process all together. If this proves to be the case, should I replace DPF or modify the system? What are the pros and cons? Warranty is a non-issue since the truck is 9 years old and 118K miles.

Old 12-10-2017, 08:23 AM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

Received 85 Likes on 58 Posts
I have seen the DPF part for around $1,100. Don't think there is any reason if your handy you couldn't do it your self. Me personally would delete it. Get rid of the EGR coolers, EGR, DPF, get a tuner and straight pipe and go. That is as long as your area doesn't do emmissions testing.

It's your choice. Some delete the EGR and leave the coolers. From everything I have read on here and learned so far the full delete will help you the most with the problems these trucks can have.