6.4 purchase help - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines

6.4 purchase help

Old 12-06-2017, 08:56 PM
Freshman User

F350GK is starting off with a positive reputation.
6.4 purchase help

Hello. I am looking at two F350 6.4 long bed crew cab trucks. Both They have 124,000 and 142,000 miles and prices are both asking $24,000.00.

I don't know diesel motors... I have been told to stay away from the 6.0. How are the 6.4 motors? Nightmare?

Also, are these prices reasonable?

thanks
Old 12-06-2017, 10:45 PM
Posting Guru

Pocketlint has a good reputation on FTE.Pocketlint has a good reputation on FTE.
The 6.4 can be a great engine if it was taken care of, now if I were in your shoes would I buy a 6.4 truck, no I wouldnt. The 6.4 trucks just have too many issues going on engine wise and most of the repairs to the 6.4 engine are cab off.

You have to remember that Navistar still has their pockets of the owners of 6.0 and 6.4 owners and 6.4 parts are wway more expensive than they are for the 6.0. Ford owns the 6.7 partsline, because they developed the engine in house.

I wouldn't buy a 6.4 without Ford inspecting it first and I would want to have a sizeable amount of cash set aside for engine problems at least 5k minimum. If you really need a diesel I would advise you to look at a 6.7 2012 and up or a 6.0.

I would advise you to skip the 6.4, if you find a 5.4 that someone hasn't maintained or that has engine problems, you and your wallet could be in for a world of hurt.

I mentioned before that with any diesel your considering buying to take it to a Ford dealer for an inspection, the reason I have said that is because Ford techs know the problems theses have any where to look for them and IDS is one of the most comprehensive tools that can test out man many things with these engines and it is important to have them tested with IDS because you dont want to buy a truck for ten of thousands of dollars only to find out it needs tens of thousand of dollars to keep it on the road.

I have owned the 6.0 and it had it';s issues but once they were solved my truck had 493k on the truck when I sold it and it was more the body of the truck was ready for the junkyard even thought the engine was still going strong. I looked at 6.4's myself a whle back but all the issues with the engines and the costs for repairs made me and my wallet scared, so I passed on them altogether.

If you want an honest opinion pass on the 6.4 and go to either a 6.0 or a 6.7 or a 6.2 gasser, but with the 6.4 you'd need to really really have it checked out and even then if it came back all is well I would still be concerned because when things go wrong with a 6.4 engine they seem to really really go wrong
Old 12-06-2017, 10:50 PM
Elder User

bobv60 has a good reputation on FTE.bobv60 has a good reputation on FTE.
There are some that say the 6.4 is worse than the 6.0. Some say they are better.
When I needed to upgrade to a DRW truck last year i looked at both the 6.0 (I like them, once you understand them and fix the issues they can be a good truck) and the 6.4 I found that I could get into a 6.7 for not much more money, and sense I financed the purchase the rates and terms on a newer truck made the payments about the same.
I paid $33,000 for a fully loaded 2011 F450 King Ranch. It did have 124,000 miles, but one owner with good maintenance records. I also just saw a 2014 DRW premiere advertised for $37,000.
I have no regrets. 400hp and 800ftlbs stock is more than enough. But the 11 and 12s did have some issues, but I think still better than a 6.0 or 6.4
you might ask you question on the 6.4 forum. When I looked I never got a good vibe that the 6.4 was better than the 6.0, and had it's own set of issues. I have never owned one so i am not saying i am an expert on them.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:52 PM
Freshman User

F350GK is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks again for your time and input. The truck I was looking at had a terrible shake in the front end/steering wheel. Intermittent but bad enough the change was rattling around and you could visibly see the wheel bouncing. This after they did a balance and checked alignment. Same roads I drive with my 1995 F350 and car and NEVER have any shake. NEXT...

Thanks for the info on the 6.4. It also has 1,000lbs less payload than the 6.7 I think.

Called the local ford dealer today to check about an inspection. ALL they will do is a 'safety inspection'. They won't look deeper into anything. Called a few other shops. Same there too.

I am upping my budget and looking at (don't kill me) a 2014 GMC duramax dually. I think a dually is a better route for my purpose anyway. Now that i have wrapped my head around a larger budget it opens up options. Sucks that fords basically from 2003-2009 are out..
Old 12-07-2017, 12:08 AM
Posting Guru

Pocketlint has a good reputation on FTE.Pocketlint has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by F350GK View Post
Thanks again for your time and input. The truck I was looking at had a terrible shake in the front end/steering wheel. Intermittent but bad enough the change was rattling around and you could visibly see the wheel bouncing. This after they did a balance and checked alignment. Same roads I drive with my 1995 F350 and car and NEVER have any shake. NEXT...

Thanks for the info on the 6.4. It also has 1,000lbs less payload than the 6.7 I think.

Called the local ford dealer today to check about an inspection. ALL they will do is a 'safety inspection'. They won't look deeper into anything. Called a few other shops. Same there too.

I am upping my budget and looking at (don't kill me) a 2014 GMC duramax dually. I think a dually is a better route for my purpose anyway. Now that i have wrapped my head around a larger budget it opens up options. Sucks that fords basically from 2003-2009 are out..
If this dealer isnt willing to test the engine with IDS and your paying for them to do that, then I would go elsewhere. IDS can tell them right off if there is compression issues, injector issue boost issues etc. Alot of shops dont have IDS because it is Ford's dignostic tool, If you can find a shop that has IDS and can do the engine testing then that works too, just a Ford dealer is going to have it, the safety inspection is one thing but testing that engine is crucial.

If this dealer isnt willing to test that engine and your willing to pay for it, I'd go to another dealer, because there is always someone else willing to take your business and earn you as a future customer
Old 12-07-2017, 03:14 AM
Postmaster

Evan_P is a splendid one to beholdEvan_P is a splendid one to beholdEvan_P is a splendid one to beholdEvan_P is a splendid one to beholdEvan_P is a splendid one to beholdEvan_P is a splendid one to beholdEvan_P is a splendid one to behold
I wouldn't even consider a 6.4 truck. People think the 6.0 is Ford problem child, well at least that problem child can be gone through and made into a very dependable and powerful truck with the right parts and maintenance. The 6.4 however, you can maintain it flawlessly and drive it the way it was intended (work it hard enough to keep the emissions systems working) and it will still likely decide one day out of the blue that you no longer deserve the hard earned money in your wallet. And when it does it is really going to hurt... Usually to the tune of several thousands of dollars at a minimum. And most of the time it occurs well before 200k miles. If it were me I wouldn't walk away from a 6.4 truck, I would run as fast as I could....
Old 12-07-2017, 08:28 AM
Postmaster

speakerfritz is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.speakerfritz is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
"If it were me I wouldn't walk away from a 6.4 truck, I would run as fast as I could...."

yes

the 6.7 is a much better engine with design enhancements that were lessons learned from the 6.0 and 6.4. the 6/7 is available beginning 2011.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:44 AM
Restless Mind

Copper.Farm is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Copper.Farm is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I add diesel to mine and it works just fine.
Old 12-07-2017, 12:07 PM
MN Chapter Ldr

fordpower88 is a splendid one to beholdfordpower88 is a splendid one to beholdfordpower88 is a splendid one to beholdfordpower88 is a splendid one to beholdfordpower88 is a splendid one to beholdfordpower88 is a splendid one to beholdfordpower88 is a splendid one to behold
Been driving my 6.4 for the last three years and not one issue. Start it up and go. Keep up on maintenance and delete the emissions crap if you can and go. I am not sure if you can work on the truck yourself or not. That will make a difference on what repairs can cost.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:40 PM
Junior User

254XP3 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I can't say I blame those that say run from a 6.4, but 6.0/6.4/6.7 with any major engine problem is going to take anywhere from 7-15 grand out of your wallet. I am by no means an expert, but after tearing into a 6.4 last weekend with front cover, oil pump, water pump and all the other stuff, I can tell you that the cavitation problem with 6.4 is a reality. That parts cost to me was just shy of 2k and I did all the work. Dealer quote for front cover replacement alone was $4800.00. Unknown what it would have been once they saw cavitation eat the front cover etc. Overall I think the engine is in good shape valve train wise etc. But they are known for cyl 5&8 dropping out due to the good ol REGEN/emissions.

At the end of the day, I too would keep looking for a 6.7 Most guys on here have great advise. Good luck on what ever you decide to get.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:12 PM
Senior User

EDC8008 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I had a 2008 with the 6.4 in it at 140,000 miles when I traded it in for my 2014 with the 6.7, it was primarily because mine had a failing HP Oil Pump and I was not impressed with the potential cost and down time due to it being out of warranty to get it fixed so I traded it in.

With the number of these trucks operating with very little to no issues even though I had issues you very well may not. To hear some guys talk they make it sound like it's gonna be a major disaster if you buy a truck with one of these engines. I've had tried and proven engines and transmissions fail early and I've abused some to the extreme and never had a problem. Had a 74 F-100 with a 302 and 3 on the tree that you just couldn't kill along with 87 F 250 with the 6.9 smoked like an old steam engine but just ran like anything. It's a risk anytime you buy a used vehicle, it can blow up as you pull out the drive way one day just because.

The 6.0 and 6.4 have some additional potential issues that I am just unwilling to deal with so I have the 6.7 now and highly recommend it.

My $0.02.
Old 12-11-2017, 01:32 AM
Senior User

RigCity is starting off with a positive reputation.
If you donít plan on deleting donít buy one my 450 westernhauler was picked up from somone that didnít use it as a truck 165 on the clock and Iíve only done filters fluids and tires. Iím very confident without the delete it would be more these engines are rated for 1750 egt because during regen it injects an additional 7/8 worth of fuel ultra heating the system leading to failures.
Old 12-11-2017, 02:41 AM
Senior User

OneCylinder is starting off with a positive reputation.
The 6.4 does not have a HP Oil Pump. The 6.9, 7.3 and 6.0 have HP oil pumps that presurizes the fuel injectors. The 6.4 and 6.7 have a high presure fuel pump, a time bomb set for approximately 150k miles. When it goes bad it granades and spreads shrapnel throughout the fuel injection system. That repair will run 6 to 10 grand. But I'm not picking on Ford or Navistar only, Cumins and Duramax also use a HPFP with the same longevity.

The problem with the 6.4 is the HPFP repair, the front cover cavitation that can occur if scheduled coolant flushes aren't performed, it has dual turbos that are very expensive, dual EGR coolers are very expensive and have been known to hydrolock the motor. Also the valve trane has problems.

The 6.0 has it's problems but they are manageable and upgrades have been developed. So if you're looking for a less expensive truck that you can keep for a long time, go 6.0 ('05-'07 are best). If you want a newer truck go 6.7 but whatever you do get a Ford extended warranty for as many miles as they allow (make sure it covers the HPFP).