04 Ranger 3.0 engine swap help - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

04 Ranger 3.0 engine swap help

Old 12-06-2017, 06:15 PM
New User

69shovelsled is starting off with a positive reputation.
04 Ranger 3.0 engine swap help

I recently swapped the engine in my 04 ranger. I got a 02 ranger motor and took the intake (lower and upper) off the 02 and put the 04 on it. The cam position sensor and crank sensor I left alone as I figured they were the same. Hereís my problem when trying to start it acts out of time (pops through intake) I checked and re checked the firing order and it looks right. Iím wondering if the 02 is timed different than the 04 and the cam position sensor is different? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-06-2017, 06:45 PM
Post Fiend

Conanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant future
You used the engine wiring harness that was originally in your truck? I suspect you did but I have to ask. Have you tried to pull codes to see if anything is flagged?
Old 12-06-2017, 11:47 PM
New User

Firing order

i figured it out - I had the wrong firing order- Iím guessing this is a flex fuel engine. I was wiring it like a reg 3.0 - hereís the firing order

Old 12-07-2017, 06:06 PM
Posting Guru

mfp4073 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.mfp4073 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I cant believe that flex fuel and gas only motors have a different firing order.....

Someone else chime in?
Old 12-07-2017, 07:55 PM
Post Fiend

Conanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant future
I can only find one firing order for the 3.0 so I'm guessing the OP simply had them on wrong.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:47 AM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conanski View Post
I can only find one firing order for the 3.0 so I'm guessing the OP simply had them on wrong.

I think Iím mistaken about the flex fuel part. But this is how I was running the wires. There was a lot of this version on the web.

Old 12-08-2017, 11:06 AM
Post Fiend

Oh so it's just wired different at the coil... the engine firing order isn't any different. And that makes a difference in the way it runs?
Interesting thing about the ignition system on these.. the coils packs only contain 3 coils so the plugs are always fired in pairs. So in one instance you would have a firing sequence that fires the front output pair together, then rear pair together, and the middle together and then repeats for a complete firing order. The other sequence starts with the rear pair, then the front, then the middle and repeats to complete the sequence.

Do the coils look any different on the two engines? I knew there were coils with slightly different connectors but I didn't realize the sequence had changed. What vehicle did your donor motor come from?
Old 12-08-2017, 07:15 PM
Posting Guru

mfp4073 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.mfp4073 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
our motors fire 2x and thats the "waste spark" system.