1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flashing 2015/16 with 17 tune, possible?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 01:44 PM
FGallagher
Junior User
Received 28 Likes on 10 Posts
Flashing 2015/16 with 17 tune, possible?

From what I've heard, the powertrain in the 15/16 is pretty much the same as the 17; has anyone successfully had Ford reflash to a 17 program? My 16 falls on it's face between shifts while the 17 i test drove shifts (and has power) like a 16 with a tune. My local (non-mod-friendly) dealership told me to pound sand...

Old 12-06-2017, 02:24 PM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
a Ford dealer can only do WHAT Ford corporate say's.

they do not want to LOOSE there Franchise. over a few hundred dollars.
and there is the EPA stuff...... that offers jail/fine for dealerships...

get a Tune for your truck... or just a throttle controller...

did you READ.. Harley Davidson was Fined 2 million dollars for there computer re-programmer sales.
just a few months ago.

Old 12-06-2017, 04:03 PM
devans04250
Cross-Country
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck's First Ford

did you READ.. Harley Davidson was Fined 2 million dollars for there computer re-programmer sales.
just a few months ago.
Ditto this. Vehicle makers are required by federal law to certify their vehicles to a certain standard and it is illegal to change them. Even when a following year is improved and technically the older vehicle would benefit greatly from the same type of programming. Think along the lines of environmental.
The feds don't even want us backyard mechanics making changes. I once swapped out a transmission controller to convert my four speed to a five speed in my other truck. A friend of mine who works at a dealership told me not to get caught doing that. (sorry my other truck is not a ford so I won't bore you with it's details. Lols.)
To some extent it's a shame really.
Good luck with whatever path you decide to take.

Old 12-06-2017, 04:55 PM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
Not sure were you would get a 2017 Ford Tune. The Ford VCMII/IDS will id your truck and year for flashing only within those parameters.

You might could get an aftermarket tuner with 2017 tunes and flash your truck. I think would be a screw up and maybe cause more problems than you want to live with.

Old 12-06-2017, 06:02 PM
FGallagher
Junior User

just a few months ago.
I'm not going to "tune" it as I assume you're referencing aftermarket and i have a 100K warranty on a truck with 20K miles. A throttle controller won't change that it falls on it's face between gears (defuels).

It's their line to draw in the sand, i assume they could get in equally as much trouble for dropping my tire pressure threshold to 30psi but they did that for $100 with no push back.

I am asking about a 17 FACTORY tune on a 16 truck. There should be nothing illegal about a different tune that passed the 50-state EPA regulation.

Old 12-06-2017, 06:04 PM
FGallagher
Junior User

just a few months ago.
Originally Posted by devans04250
Ditto this. Vehicle makers are required by federal law to certify their vehicles to a certain standard and it is illegal to change them. Even when a following year is improved and technically the older vehicle would benefit greatly from the same type of programming. Think along the lines of environmental.
The feds don't even want us backyard mechanics making changes. I once swapped out a transmission controller to convert my four speed to a five speed in my other truck. A friend of mine who works at a dealership told me not to get caught doing that. (sorry my other truck is not a ford so I won't bore you with it's details. Lols.)
To some extent it's a shame really.
Good luck with whatever path you decide to take.
Makes sense, i guess. If they told me this, i'd quit asking but they just told me no. I don't like being told no. I do, however, like my warranty. I need to decide which conviction i feel stronger about haha.

Old 12-06-2017, 06:12 PM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
putting on my Chevy Dealer mechanic hat...... (retired)

I bet the dealers get ASKED this and other questions 3 to 5 times a day.... that they can not earn any money from...

my opinion.

I understand the 17 got a different camshaft.. not sure if true...
I do not have access to Ford information.

Old 12-06-2017, 07:33 PM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,619 Likes on 1,643 Posts
Originally Posted by FGallagher
I'm not going to "tune" it as I assume you're referencing aftermarket and i have a 100K warranty on a truck with 20K miles. A throttle controller won't change that it falls on it's face between gears (defuels).

It's their line to draw in the sand, i assume they could get in equally as much trouble for dropping my tire pressure threshold to 30psi but they did that for $100 with no push back.

I am asking about a 17 FACTORY tune on a 16 truck. There should be nothing illegal about a different tune that passed the 50-state EPA regulation.
If you have a ‘16 truck with 20,000 miles on it, and it is actually de-fueling between shifts.........WARRANTY TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-07-2017, 02:31 AM
Evan_P
Cargo Master
Received 106 Likes on 86 Posts
Not possible. The Ford IDS system only allows for programming via auto ID using the VIN or As-Built data, again going off of VIN. In rare cases Ford will supply a session file with a custom calibration file, but then again it is VIN tailored by Ford motor company and its usually only provided after a programming issue has come up. On top of that, from 2016 to 2017 there were LOTS of changed made to the engine calibration as well as emission equipment. The 2017 PCM programming will only work on 2017 PCM's and will only communicate properly with other modules that are 2017 calibration.

If you are having an issue with the truck de-fuelling when shifting, I would be taking it in and having It looked at. Let that warranty do its work. And your '16 will feel like it has less power than a '17 because it does.

Old 12-07-2017, 05:05 AM
Ron94150
Postmaster
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
No tune is going to give our pre 17 the same power and feel of a 17^. The 17 6.2 got larger valves and a different camshaft profile, along with a much lighter, more efficient transmission in the f250. A tune can't overcome that, but it sure can help.

Old 12-07-2017, 10:18 AM
FGallagher
Junior User
Originally Posted by Evan_P
Not possible. The Ford IDS system only allows for programming via auto ID using the VIN or As-Built data, again going off of VIN. In rare cases Ford will supply a session file with a custom calibration file, but then again it is VIN tailored by Ford motor company and its usually only provided after a programming issue has come up. On top of that, from 2016 to 2017 there were LOTS of changed made to the engine calibration as well as emission equipment. The 2017 PCM programming will only work on 2017 PCM's and will only communicate properly with other modules that are 2017 calibration.

If you are having an issue with the truck de-fuelling when shifting, I would be taking it in and having It looked at. Let that warranty do its work. And your '16 will feel like it has less power than a '17 because it does.
This is the answer i was looking for, thank you!

Every 2011+ That I've driven falls on it's face in between shifts. Keep it floored and you can feel it.

Old 12-07-2017, 10:18 AM
FGallagher
Junior User
Originally Posted by Ron94150
No tune is going to give our pre 17 the same power and feel of a 17^. The 17 6.2 got larger valves and a different camshaft profile, along with a much lighter, more efficient transmission in the f250. A tune can't overcome that, but it sure can help.
Mine's a 6.7, not 6.2.

Old 12-07-2017, 10:41 AM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Mine's a 6.7, not 6.2.
all this time, I thought we were talking about the GAS 6.2L not a diesel 6.7

way different animal..

Old 12-07-2017, 10:48 AM
Deuce40s
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine's a 6.7, not 6.2.
Why would you pose an engine related question without telling us the engine you have? If you would have put this thread in the diesel section, you would have been told no immediately. 2017 diesels do not have a noticeable seat of the pants power increase, regardless of what's on paper.

Old 12-08-2017, 10:22 AM
FGallagher
Junior User
Originally Posted by Deuce40s
Why would you pose an engine related question without telling us the engine you have? If you would have put this thread in the diesel section, you would have been told no immediately. 2017 diesels do not have a noticeable seat of the pants power increase, regardless of what's on paper.
Looking at the section, I'm in:

"1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines"

How this doesn't apply to me, I'm not sure as i have a 16 250 6.7... Conversely, I'd ask why people would assume I have a gas when the ratio of diesel to gas is massively in favor of the powerstroke. I digress, i have a powerstroke and it appears to me more complex that I originally thought and i'm not willing to hit the aftermarket for a tune and nullify my warraty.

And a 2017 may not have a large power increase, but the delivery is far superior to the 2015/16, thus my question (i get to drive both; this is my opinion).

Quick Reply: Flashing 2015/16 with 17 tune, possible?