Leer 100XQ Topper = Poor build quality? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leer 100XQ Topper = Poor build quality?

Old 12-05-2017, 08:55 AM
Junior User

Guess is starting off with a positive reputation.
Leer 100XQ Topper = Poor build quality?

Anyone else have a Leer cap that is super disappointed with the build quality?

I would expect this for a under $1000 cap, but not one that cost just about $3k CDN.

I have numerous issues. Spider cracks in the rear fiberglass piece that covers the tailgate (apparently the dealer will replace it), runs in the paint, edges of the cap may as well of been cut with a sawzall and my tailgate rubs against the cap itself because the left side is cut lower than the right.

On top of all the frustrations with a 2 day old cap, I got to close the hatch and the damn leer logo falls off...
Old 12-05-2017, 10:13 AM
Senior User

Dubbs19s has a good reputation on FTE.Dubbs19s has a good reputation on FTE.
Do you have any pics of the bad areas?

Did you have it installed professionally?

I didn't see any cracks or runs on my XL...CND also

Old 12-05-2017, 10:41 AM
Postmaster

HRTKD is a splendid one to beholdHRTKD is a splendid one to beholdHRTKD is a splendid one to beholdHRTKD is a splendid one to beholdHRTKD is a splendid one to beholdHRTKD is a splendid one to beholdHRTKD is a splendid one to beholdHRTKD is a splendid one to behold
Half of the problems with the Leer cap on my old truck was the professional install. The installer put it too far forward on the bed and it rubbed the cab. Part of that was due to Leer's design of the cap - it didn't match the curve of the cab.

Leer has one of the best looking caps available. But I sure wasn't impressed with the quality of it. The hinges had to be adjusted a lot. The locks were flakey. I did get some cracks in the paint/fiberglass on top spreading out from where the cargo rails ended. But they weren't bad enough that I did anything about them. I think there was some water leaking in from the rails since a couple of the bolt heads on the inside were looking rusty.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:06 AM
Junior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbs19s View Post
Do you have any pics of the bad areas?

Did you have it installed professionally?

I didn't see any cracks or runs on my XL...CND also
Great looking truck!
Yea. I took some photos. I will post them this evening.

Yes, the dealer I purchased from did the install. None of these issues appear to be a installer problem. All of them appear to have come out of the factory like this.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:26 AM
Elder User

LiquidSteam is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
My XL is pretty good paint and fit wise. The front window I got slides and is removable... this is where the problems come in. The whole thing rattled. Had to add some weather stripping to quiet it down. The slider part is also loose and looks real cheap.

The rear door latch on the left side needs to be manually pushed upon closing to click in the latch as well.

What really bothers me is the trim on the side window. It leans forward slightly and just looks bad as it doesn’t line up with the lines of the truck. I wish I had bought the XQ as it doesn’t have a window seem.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:40 AM
Junior User

Sf jakey is starting off with a positive reputation.
I will never own another Leer. Cheap hardware, latches, poor fiberglass work, leaked everywhere, didnt fit tailgate well or seal. Looked nice though.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:53 AM
Postmaster

wb6anp has a very good reputation on FTE.wb6anp has a very good reputation on FTE.wb6anp has a very good reputation on FTE.wb6anp has a very good reputation on FTE.
My leer, one of the first ones released, seem to be fine so far. Snugtop owns Leer and makes their molds for them, so I wonder if the Snugtops are also experiencing problems.
Old 12-05-2017, 12:16 PM
Elder User

LiquidSteam is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Old 12-05-2017, 03:37 PM
Senior User

roadpilot is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Considered Leer XQ. Looked at that one and an ARE Z Series last month to compare side by side.

My ARE Z Series will be shipping on FRI and will be here, getting installed, on the 13th.
Old 12-05-2017, 04:05 PM
Postmaster

speakerfritz is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.speakerfritz is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I like the idea....but the technology is not there yet.

i have owned a few of these from low profile to the super high walk in door model.

all could be open with a plastic butter knife, all leaked, all developed spiderweb cracks in the finish.

Someone needs to make one that is a sealed cocoon that slides in the bed , water proof, hard to break in, color in the resin.

i can dream right.
Old 12-05-2017, 07:58 PM
Junior User

Sf jakey is starting off with a positive reputation.
Caravan Camper Tops | Camper Tops and Canopy Tops in Reno | Custom Made Steel Weather Proof Truck Tops. These are worth every penny, I just wish there was a way to keep the factory camera system.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:00 PM
Junior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sf jakey View Post
Caravan Camper Tops | Camper Tops and Canopy Tops in Reno | Custom Made Steel Weather Proof Truck Tops. These are worth every penny, I just wish there was a way to keep the factory camera system.
I am sure they were worth every penny when the styling came out in 1985. They are ugly. No way would I put something like that on a new truck.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:20 PM
Senior User

smokewagun is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Hmmmm. I've owned a bunch of Leer tops without an issue. I believe it's the installers problem. Even my upfitter adds tape under the top, double layers along the front, checks and even readjusts windows and rear door before installing it. Never a problem. I want an 100XL for my 2017, but can't fathom $2200. Yikes!
FYI, ALL topper manufacturers share the basic molds and tweak them to make them unique for their brand. It's not just a Leer and Snugtop share, but others. What I like with Leer is they will color match again if it's off. Maybe it's my upfitter. Century? Snugtop? You own it the first time. Plus, I've never had warranty issues with Leer. To me, Snugtop looks like it belongs on a weenie mobile. Too rounded. Leer looks like it's a Ford accessory made to match... like an Excursion conversion.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:04 PM
Postmaster

speakerfritz is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.speakerfritz is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sf jakey View Post
Caravan Camper Tops Camper Tops and Canopy Tops in Reno Custom Made Steel Weather Proof Truck Tops. These are worth every penny, I just wish there was a way to keep the factory camera system.
They look very strong....plastic butter knife proof for sure.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:35 PM
New User

MNSuper is starting off with a positive reputation.
Oh boy where were these bad reviews when I ordered my Leer XL last week. Fingers crossed it doesn’t have problems.