1 yr out since new injectors... - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1 yr out since new injectors...

Old 12-05-2017, 05:49 AM
Elder User

afonda is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
1 yr out since new injectors...

A yr ago i had to replace all the injectors and went with the ryan casserly reman stock. I think she runs weak.. I even have the hypertech max energy on stage 3.
although she runs ok.. she seems low on power. The fuel pressure seems to indicate an issue. Sometimes the fuel pressure runs about 58psi and she runs and pulls strong.. but most of time the psi is about 64 and has lower power and hardly any black smoke if you stomp it.

any ideas?
Old 12-05-2017, 06:09 AM
FTE-Spread The Knowledge

Whitey Ford has a great reputation on FTE.Whitey Ford has a great reputation on FTE.Whitey Ford has a great reputation on FTE.Whitey Ford has a great reputation on FTE.Whitey Ford has a great reputation on FTE.Whitey Ford has a great reputation on FTE.
Boots or up pipes possibly leaking?
Old 12-05-2017, 06:31 AM
Locomotive breath

DISLFVR has a very good reputation on FTE.DISLFVR has a very good reputation on FTE.DISLFVR has a very good reputation on FTE.
What year is your truck? Automatic trany or stick?
Old 12-05-2017, 09:04 AM
Elder User

Colorado350 has a very good reputation on FTE.Colorado350 has a very good reputation on FTE.Colorado350 has a very good reputation on FTE.Colorado350 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonda View Post
A yr ago i had to replace all the injectors and went with the ryan casserly reman stock. I think she runs weak.. I even have the hypertech max energy on stage 3.
although she runs ok.. she seems low on power. The fuel pressure seems to indicate an issue. Sometimes the fuel pressure runs about 58psi and she runs and pulls strong.. but most of time the psi is about 64 and has lower power and hardly any black smoke if you stomp it.

any ideas?
IIRC, 45-65 psi is the range for fuel pressure so you seem to be in the upper range. Where is your fuel pressure sensor pre or post filter? How many miles on the truck? Do you have a cat on your exhaust? My truck had a cat and with 360K, turns out it was plugged. Removed it...completely different animal now.
Old 12-05-2017, 01:13 PM
Elder User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado350 View Post
IIRC, 45-65 psi is the range for fuel pressure so you seem to be in the upper range. Where is your fuel pressure sensor pre or post filter? How many miles on the truck? Do you have a cat on your exhaust? My truck had a cat and with 360K, turns out it was plugged. Removed it...completely different animal now.
I think it's pre filter.
280k miles.
no cat, 4" mbrp exhaust...
Old 12-05-2017, 01:16 PM
Elder User

Theory...

Higher fuel press could mean injectors not flowing (sucking) fuel. Seems like when the fuel pressure is lower, I get more power and can see visibly more black smoke. This theory would point towards injectors not firing, injectors with low flow, or something of the like...
Old 12-05-2017, 01:51 PM
Postmaster

Walleye Hunter is a name known to allWalleye Hunter is a name known to allWalleye Hunter is a name known to allWalleye Hunter is a name known to allWalleye Hunter is a name known to allWalleye Hunter is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonda View Post
Higher fuel press could mean injectors not flowing (sucking) fuel. Seems like when the fuel pressure is lower, I get more power and can see visibly more black smoke. This theory would point towards injectors not firing, injectors with low flow, or something of the like...
I would think that the fuel pressure regulator (FPR) would/should keep fuel pressure steady, injectors taking it or not, except when there are sudden changes in demand, then I'd expect a short fluctuation.
Old 12-05-2017, 03:08 PM
Senior User

Karlow is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
The fuel regulator is a back pressure regulator.
They operate by returning the excess fuel to the tank.
If your pressure is bouncing above 60 psig, it might be a regulator issue.
If you pressure is dropping below 55, you may have a supply issue.
Are all of you filters clean?
Old 12-05-2017, 03:25 PM
Post Fiend

HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.
Have you done the Hutch and Harpooon mods?
Old 12-05-2017, 11:36 PM
Polkamatic Poster

ExPACamper has much to be proud ofExPACamper has much to be proud ofExPACamper has much to be proud ofExPACamper has much to be proud ofExPACamper has much to be proud ofExPACamper has much to be proud ofExPACamper has much to be proud ofExPACamper has much to be proud ofExPACamper has much to be proud ofExPACamper has much to be proud of
Check your fuel filter condition (any black?) and also look carefully at the bottom of your fuel bowl. That is where the sand-like debris accumulates.

How about your air filter minder? It might be time to change?

How old/miles and what brand/weight of oil?
Old 12-06-2017, 02:15 AM
Post Fiend

Tugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputation
Engine Oil Temperature makes a difference. If a lot of your driving is short hops in the winter, the same symptoms would be expected because of lower fuel temp and the tune being dialed back until the engine temp gets way up there. If you're in a warmer climate, disregard.
Old 12-06-2017, 05:45 AM
Elder User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExPACamper View Post
Check your fuel filter condition (any black?) and also look carefully at the bottom of your fuel bowl. That is where the sand-like debris accumulates.

How about your air filter minder? It might be time to change?

How old/miles and what brand/weight of oil?
I completely disassembled cleaner and rebuilt the fuel bowl last summer. Plus new fuel line seals.
brand new oil change.
could prob use a new air filter.. but it looks clean.
Old 12-06-2017, 05:47 AM
Elder User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKusp View Post
Have you done the Hutch and Harpooon mods?
no.. but the tank was dropped last fall and all was good.
Old 12-06-2017, 05:49 AM
Elder User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugly View Post
Engine Oil Temperature makes a difference. If a lot of your driving is short hops in the winter, the same symptoms would be expected because of lower fuel temp and the tune being dialed back until the engine temp gets way up there. If you're in a warmer climate, disregard.
I didn't know the tune would be affected by ambient temp..
Old 12-06-2017, 05:55 AM
Elder User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlow View Post
The fuel regulator is a back pressure regulator.
They operate by returning the excess fuel to the tank.
If your pressure is bouncing above 60 psig, it might be a regulator issue.
If you pressure is dropping below 55, you may have a supply issue.
Are all of you filters clean?
The in tank filters were checked and cleaned last fall. New fuel bowl filter last summer.. not many miles since then..
at idle fuel psi is pretty steady at 64, it drops into the mid/upper 50's under accel