Again!?! Another broken tie rod end... stranded - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums



1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines

Again!?! Another broken tie rod end... stranded

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 12-05-2017, 03:11 AM
Collision's Avatar
Collision Collision is offline
Senior User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 333
Collision is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Collision is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Again!?! Another broken tie rod end... stranded

The 3rd time ive been stranded by my ford's this year, this is getting old. Once again, a broken passenger side tie rod end, sheared straight off, again. Literally, on a paved road, just snapped. Is it me or the trucks? This truck has never been used off road, never a plow truck and on a perfectly smooth section of road... very disappointed. AAA took 3 hours to get me a truck, which is like pouring salt in the wounds. Here is what happened to my v10 when it snapped and what it looked like, the rod went through the tire. Luckily it didn't do it this time.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-05-2017, 04:18 AM
seville009 seville009 is online now
Posting Guru
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,574
seville009 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Either you have really bad luck, or something on the truck is causing abnormal stress on the tie rod to cause it to break three times in one year.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-05-2017, 06:16 AM
Pocketlint's Avatar
Pocketlint Pocketlint is offline
Posting Guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 1,313
Pocketlint has a good reputation on FTE.Pocketlint has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by seville009 View Post
Either you have really bad luck, or something on the truck is causing abnormal stress on the tie rod to cause it to break three times in one year.
I agree with seville009 something definitely isn't right, in either there is a bigger problem at play causing these to shear off or this is a really inferior part ( Dorman maybe? ) I would ask what part manufacturer this tie rod was that was put on.

Di you you install this or was it a shop that installed it? Is it an OEM or aftermarket part? How long ago was the repair done ( just curious as to if it had been in service a long time or if this was installed not long ago ) One thing is for sure if this is an aftermarket part, I would not use the same brand one again, I would go to something different if it is determined to be just a failure of the part, but whoever did this need to investigate if there is a bigger issue at play as Seville 009 suggested.

Let us know what you find out and sucks when your left on the side of the road, hopefully you had triple AAA or something to cover the towing
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-05-2017, 07:11 AM
Chuck's First Ford Chuck's First Ford is offline
Postmaster
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Upper Right oHIo
Posts: 2,836
Chuck's First Ford has a good reputation on FTE.Chuck's First Ford has a good reputation on FTE.
What Brand of Tie-Rod ?

that part is NOT a weight supporting part..

side load.. curb banging.. deep chuckholes.

NOT common..

even Rare 3 in a year..
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-05-2017, 07:49 AM
Monster-4's Avatar
Monster-4 Monster-4 is online now
Postmaster
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Millersburg, OH
Posts: 3,584
Monster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud of
How tight are you torquing everything to? Is the knuckle deformed in anyway? Like others have said you either have very inferior parts or something else going on. One is rare let alone three in one year.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-05-2017, 08:04 AM
don123's Avatar
don123 don123 is online now
Elder User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 767
don123 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Are you sure your front end parts are correct? Somethings obviously not right. Look for something bent or distorted. What brand of parts are you using?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-05-2017, 08:26 AM
Collision's Avatar
Collision Collision is offline
Senior User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 333
Collision is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Collision is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
To clarify, Ive only broken two tie rod ends, but my ford's have stranded me 3 times, Im busy right now, Ill type up my rant later about parts.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-05-2017, 08:40 AM
Collision's Avatar
Collision Collision is offline
Senior User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 333
Collision is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Collision is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck's First Ford View Post
What Brand of Tie-Rod ?

that part is NOT a weight supporting part..

side load.. curb banging.. deep chuckholes.

NOT common..

even Rare 3 in a year..
my v10 had 190,000 ish miles when it snapped on motor craft tie rod ends with about 70k miles on them. Never hit a curb, no curb rash on the wheels, i always avoid potholes and go slow over speed bumps.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-05-2017, 08:45 AM
Collision's Avatar
Collision Collision is offline
Senior User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 333
Collision is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Collision is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocketlint View Post
I agree with seville009 something definitely isn't right, in either there is a bigger problem at play causing these to shear off or this is a really inferior part ( Dorman maybe? ) I would ask what part manufacturer this tie rod was that was put on.

Di you you install this or was it a shop that installed it? Is it an OEM or aftermarket part? How long ago was the repair done ( just curious as to if it had been in service a long time or if this was installed not long ago ) One thing is for sure if this is an aftermarket part, I would not use the same brand one again, I would go to something different if it is determined to be just a failure of the part, but whoever did this need to investigate if there is a bigger issue at play as Seville 009 suggested.

Let us know what you find out and sucks when your left on the side of the road, hopefully you had triple AAA or something to cover the towing
well, this is on 2 different trucks that this has happened now. Both times motorcraft parts, which just passed inspection, boot wasnt even ripped. Last night on the seven tree, i was leaning my grand mothers house, and all the sudden, i heard a loud bam, and I quickly stopped. I got out and saw the same thing happened, luckily i was doing only 1-2 mph. So i was stuck middld of the road for a very long time. For the record, I didnt install them, they are factory on the 7.3
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-05-2017, 12:41 PM
Lawnpro979's Avatar
Lawnpro979 Lawnpro979 is offline
Junior User
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 96
Lawnpro979 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collision View Post
well, this is on 2 different trucks that this has happened now. Both times motorcraft parts, which just passed inspection, boot wasnt even ripped. Last night on the seven tree, i was leaning my grand mothers house, and all the sudden, i heard a loud bam, and I quickly stopped. I got out and saw the same thing happened, luckily i was doing only 1-2 mph. So i was stuck middld of the road for a very long time. For the record, I didnt install them, they are factory on the 7.3

just. My 2cents worth...I think i would write a nice little letter/email to Ford.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-05-2017, 12:47 PM
seville009 seville009 is online now
Posting Guru
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,574
seville009 is starting off with a positive reputation.
If itís only happened twice and on two different trucks, one of which has alot of miles, then I would think itís not really abnormal. Just normal wear and tear. I would just fix it and move on. Had a starter die on me this week - 63,000 miles - stuff happens.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-05-2017, 02:11 PM
Collision's Avatar
Collision Collision is offline
Senior User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 333
Collision is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Collision is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Has anyone else heard of this happening in a non offroad environment? Or had it happen to them?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-05-2017, 03:19 PM
Chuck's First Ford Chuck's First Ford is offline
Postmaster
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Upper Right oHIo
Posts: 2,836
Chuck's First Ford has a good reputation on FTE.Chuck's First Ford has a good reputation on FTE.
if its one off.. sure... its a part made by a man an a machine...

I have replaced tons.. on cars and trucks.. over 50 years... maybe a 1,000, no joke.

in the 1970's you were lucky to get a tie-rod end last 3 years or 40,000 miles....
just like Brakes, tires, wheel bearings, water pumps, almost every part needs replacement.. at some point.

OLD Guys.. remember tune-up every 12,000 miles with Points..... ! and I am 66 years old.... so I am not talking 1900.

back in the day.. you were lucky to get a NEW truck to last 100,000 miles.. Gas or diesel...
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-05-2017, 03:38 PM
seville009 seville009 is online now
Posting Guru
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,574
seville009 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collision View Post
Has anyone else heard of this happening in a non offroad environment? Or had it happen to them?
i had it happen to me with a 99 Expedition back around 2004. Turned into my driveway and suddenly my steering wheel was free wheeling.....was leaving for a family road trip vacation the next day too.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-05-2017, 04:24 PM
SnowPlowDriver's Avatar
SnowPlowDriver SnowPlowDriver is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Ofallon Mo
Posts: 192
SnowPlowDriver is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck's First Ford View Post
if its one off.. sure... its a part made by a man an a machine...

I have replaced tons.. on cars and trucks.. over 50 years... maybe a 1,000, no joke.

in the 1970's you were lucky to get a tie-rod end last 3 years or 40,000 miles....
just like Brakes, tires, wheel bearings, water pumps, almost every part needs replacement.. at some point.

OLD Guys.. remember tune-up every 12,000 miles with Points..... ! and I am 66 years old.... so I am not talking 1900.

back in the day.. you were lucky to get a NEW truck to last 100,000 miles.. Gas or diesel...
Points, the dealer here has a sign "get your points". It is a promotion where you get points with each purchase to get a discount on service. I asked him if you also get a condenser with your points and I am not sure he knew what a condenser was.
Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply


Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums >

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:34 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.