Looking for a Brake Pressure Differential Valve - Page 4 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Looking for a Brake Pressure Differential Valve

Old 12-13-2017, 02:20 PM
Just another Joe

Jolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasputin53 View Post
The difference has to do with the internal port size in the seats where the brake lines connect. The pressure needs to be equal or the shuttle will shift and light the warning on the dash. Different brake arrangements (different size brake cylinders, Dr/Dr, Disc/Dr, different sized brakes, etc) will have specific distribution blocks as a result.
Other changes happen through the model year and new revisions will replace old ones. The 'R' version may well be a later revision of the 'C.'
Lot of effort for an annoying light. 0.02.
Thanks for the explanation.

I thought it might have something to do with the wheel cylinder bore sizes or the master cylinder bore size.
Old 12-14-2017, 07:21 AM
Elder User

Rasputin53 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Rasputin53 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
If you refer back to my previous post with Figure 5 in it;
The left is side (2 ports) is for the REAR circuit.
The Right side (3 ports) is for the front circuit.
Top ports come from the Master Cylinder.
Bottom Left is to the rear end.
The two ports remaining on the RIGHT side go to the front wheels, one each. I believe the bottom one is for the Passenger side and the end one is for the Driver's side.
Old 12-14-2017, 07:43 AM
Just another Joe

Jolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant futureJolly Roger Joe has a brilliant future
Quote:
If you refer back to my previous post with Figure 5 in it;
The left is side (2 ports) is for the REAR circuit.
The Right side (3 ports) is for the front circuit.
Top ports come from the Master Cylinder.
Bottom Left is to the rear end.
The two ports remaining on the RIGHT side go to the front wheels, one each. I believe the bottom one is for the Passenger side and the end one is for the Driver's side.
Thanks. Since I don't have one in my truck, I couldn't imagine where the lines went. If I install a valve, I'll have to run a tee for the brake light switch.
Old 12-14-2017, 09:05 AM
Elder User

Rasputin53 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Rasputin53 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
The switch is the item in the center top of the diff valve. It comes with it. Just an electrical connection is necessary.
Old 12-14-2017, 12:50 PM
Just another Joe

Quote:
The switch is the item in the center top of the diff valve. It comes with it. Just an electrical connection is necessary.
I'm talking about the brake light switch on the front of my stock single chamber M/C that operates my brake lights, not the warning light on the dash for a brake pressure failure. There are apparently several big differences between slicks and bumpsides.

So, when I change to the dual chamber m/c, I will have to plumb in a place to plug in that brake light switch. Some folks fabricate a brake pedal operated switch, but I'd prefer to use the stock style and just add a tee to a brake line.

Old 12-14-2017, 02:26 PM
Elder User

Ah. Issue there is the brake lights will only work if that particular side's brakes function. So in the event of a leak or loss of pressure, you could potentially have no brake lights. Just food for thought.
Old 12-14-2017, 02:31 PM
Just another Joe

Quote:
Ah. Issue there is the brake lights will only work if that particular side's brakes function. So in the event of a leak or loss of pressure, you could potentially have no brake lights. Just food for thought.
Ah, I hadn't thought of that... Now I have something else to figure out. Is the bumpside switch on the brake pedal arm?
Old 12-14-2017, 03:58 PM
Elder User

Yes. The brake switch rides on the same pin as the master cylinder. The replacement MC will have a flat face that will contact the switch. Hardest part should really just be running the wiring back into the cab so you can connect to it. Might want to scrounge up that connector at a junk yard. Any old 70/80's Ford will have it.