1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Injector oil stuck open- causes and fixes?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 09:40 AM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by retiredsparky
This unfortunate tale is a lesson for us all...
We removed and reinstalled the injectors at my shop and there was a long delay between the reman and the reinstall. Although it was inside the garage and the heads were covered with paper towels the whole time the injectors were removed...still not perfect, especially considering the very small clearances in the injectors.

I appreciate the caution

Old 12-04-2017, 09:49 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,460 Likes on 2,850 Posts
John, if possible try to get a video of you trying to clear the debris. This would be very valuable in the future for others that may be facing the same situation.

Your spot on about Jim making it right. Mechanical errors or faults can happen with anything, how they are handled is what makes the overall experience good or bad. It looks like you are well on your way to having a good experience.

Old 12-04-2017, 10:02 AM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Sous
John, if possible try to get a video of you trying to clear the debris. This would be very valuable in the future for others that may be facing the same situation.
Will do. It won't be anything like to professional ones you make, though What software do you use? Windows, right? The only Macs I occasionally do have special sauce, lettuce, cheese... LOL

Old 12-04-2017, 10:07 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
I use my Samsung S7 with a flexible tripod to shoot the video and then use Filmora Video Editor to edit the video and sound to my liking and for the masses. Filmora is simply an advanced video editor that is tailored to the novice like myself.

I don't like Mac/Apple for my own personal reasons, but I am a strange individual.

Old 12-04-2017, 10:45 AM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
I use my Samsung S7 with a flexible tripod to shoot the video and then use Filmora Video Editor to edit the video and sound to my liking and for the masses. Filmora is simply an advanced video editor that is tailored to the novice like myself.

I don't like Mac/Apple for my own personal reasons, but I am a strange individual.
Thanks! Years ago I used to make videos for the company, but it was all outdated these days. I tried Corel something or other and it was unstable, would crash and lose work, was really odd in how it tried to make clips and sections.

I'll give this a try

Old 12-04-2017, 01:52 PM
IDI-Charlie
Fleet Mechanic
Received 65 Likes on 20 Posts
For what it is worth, whenever I edit videos I use Sony Vegas or After Effects - not sure if either one is available to you but man do they work well!

Also glad Jim gave you the go-ahead to pry the solenoid off and take a gander at the land down under. Hopefully it is just a speck of something on that seat.

Old 12-04-2017, 04:19 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by IDI-Charlie
For what it is worth, whenever I edit videos I use Sony Vegas or After Effects - not sure if either one is available to you but man do they work well!

Also glad Jim gave you the go-ahead to pry the solenoid off and take a gander at the land down under. Hopefully it is just a speck of something on that seat.
I'll check those out, too. Thanks!

Yes, I am also glad about having a chance to fix the injector

We spent time talking with a couple of Drs. I took my daughter along, who is a 16yr old High School Senior (graduating early) to meet and discuss a medical career. Very productive, they took a lot of time with her

So I won't be doing the injector tonight. It will have to wait until tomorrow late afternoon, after I get back from a couple of appointments.

Gives me time to find my BFH anyways LOL.

Old 12-06-2017, 03:48 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Update:

I swapped injector positions #3 and #7. I figured it is best to put the trouble injector into the easiest position to access.

Good news: Problem moved with the injector. I expected this. Pretty basic.

I removed the solenoid on #3 (old #7) and removed the square plate to access the armature plate. I DEFINITELY suggest using a 1/4" battery powered "driver/impact" to just lightly touch the bolts. I was doing it my hand and wasn't pleased with how SHALLOW the torx holes are. I didn't want to strip them.

No surprises, but the armature plate was VERY, VERY tight. If I didn't know it was supposed to be able to rotate, I wouldn't have done it. I did it by hand, no tools. I also marked the plate with the spout as it is position specific.

Jim said they mark the armature position when they work on them, but I didn't see any marks. Old eyes, I guess

The paint pen will wipe right off when I'm done.

I did rotate the armature plate 90 deg as instructed. It was really tight.

I wiggled it around on the bench, even felt good that it seemed to move a bit up and down (I thought), so I put it all back together and installed in position #3 and used my air pressure tester. Still stuck open

So I remove the armature and plate while in the motor (glad it is in #3 hole) and tried to wiggle while applying air.

But now I notice that it seems the center screw in the middle of the armature is loose. I can't tell as my torx doesn't fit very well. I came back to the house to get my fractional metric torx and put in a call to Jim.

Waiting for his call, I figured I'd update the thread.

Old 12-06-2017, 04:02 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
I am glad you posted pictures because I have no idea what you would be talking about. So, does that plate move up and down very small amounts when the injector is in a working engine? Did you try to move the plate while someone else was cranking the engine as Jim had suggested or just try to clear the fault with air pressure?

Old 12-06-2017, 05:31 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
No Joy

I talked with Jim, explained what I found, what I tried and what seemed unusual.

One item was the 4.5mm allen key/T-10 torx bolt in the center of the armature being loose. Every time I tried to turn the armature, it spun loose.

I tightened it per Jim's instructions to about 12in-lbs (just starts tightening), but it didn't stay.

Even when tightened in-place, I couldn't move the armature up or down, only spin it with the bolt moving. Something is seized, I think.

So I only used air. No sense cranking and such. This is a brand new injector, under warranty. I think this is as far as I'll go with it. Time to let the expert tag in

Being the end of the day, I told him I'd do everything we just reviewed and if it didn't work, I'd leave a message for him and send the offending injector out tomorrow.

It is frustrating and disappointing, but I am learning and getting MUCH better at the injectors on the passenger side...the terrible, difficult passenger side!

Hint: Removing the A/C pump bolts and swinging it out of the way is MUCH better! Topside creeper is a life saver, too.

It is going to be COLD here soon. 12F cold over night. Had a buddy help move some things around and we pushed the Excursion in the extra foot and a half and closed the garage door. Where was this idea 4 months ago? LOL.

So there will be a slight pause in the action, but I do have some video to tinker with. Maybe I'll try out the trial version of the software Sous uses

BTW, having this leak tester setup and attached allowed us to instantly see if the problem is fixed and try to clear the jam. I am planning test v1.2 shortly that will address a few shortcomings I have found.

Old 12-06-2017, 05:52 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
What is the plate supposed to do if it were good? I assume that it is to move up and down a smidge, but not sure.

Remove A/C pump bolts? Like the A/C compressor mounting bolts?

Forgive my multiple questions, but I learn from the experiences of others and hope I don't have to take the same path of sorrow one day.

Old 12-06-2017, 06:03 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
What is the plate supposed to do if it were good? I assume that it is to move up and down a smidge, but not sure.

Remove A/C pump bolts? Like the A/C compressor mounting bolts?

Forgive my multiple questions, but I learn from the experiences of others and hope I don't have to take the same path of sorrow one day.
No worries on the questions. I believe every experience or trouble is an opportunity for learning and sharing that knowledge, so fire away!

"A/C compressor mounting bolts"? - I don't understand those big fancy words, LOL! Yes, that is what I mean, move the unit forward and towards center a bit. Otherwise it is darn near impossible to remove the valve cover (serpentine belt off, too)

According to what I've been told, yes, the plate should move up and down a little bit. I stuck the screwdriver under the corners where the recessed bolt heads are. I didn't want to risk scratching the machined surfaces. Not sure if it would matter, being cautious about what I don't know yet.

So far nothing I have done has made any noticeable difference

Did learn there is a hole in the side of the housing under that armature place that lines up for the spout. That is where the air is coming out on the bad injector.

Old 12-06-2017, 08:37 PM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
Makes sense now, why Tugly has the 9th player in the toolbox😉

Old 12-07-2017, 06:53 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by ExPACamper
..."A/C compressor mounting bolts"? - I don't understand those big fancy words, LOL! Yes, that is what I mean, move the unit forward and towards center a bit. Otherwise it is darn near impossible to remove the valve cover (serpentine belt off, too)...
This is an EX thing. While loosening the A/C compressor can help in a pickup, I found it much quicker and easier to learn how to finesse the passenger-side valve cover out with the compressor in place.

Originally Posted by timmyboy76
Makes sense now, why Tugly has the 9th player in the toolbox😉
Yeah... I've got this tee shirt from my first attempt with remans (not my sticks rebuilt, but strangers' rebuilt sticks in the engine). I lucked out, since I was never in a position where I have to send in one of mine to get it back. My stuff was easily shipped from the shelf to me without sending one in. That still left me without a truck until the parts came in. Luckily, I was in the driveway - but a scenario like this hundreds of mile from home... like John almost had?

That 9th stick is in my "kit"... as is my original stock IDM, a PCM (with my custom tunes burned on it), serpentine belt, fluids, etc.... If Stinky was a grocery getter, that would be a different thing - but he's not. I just returned from California last weekend, and my 340,000-mile truck just keeps getting it done... but I don't leave much to chance with something so long in the tooth.

Old 12-07-2017, 07:06 AM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
Unless you have a BIG family and shop at Costco 😉
Roundtrip to Ca, huh.. So, is it safe to say that the mini series of the Al n Frank show was more of a, sounded good at the time, skit or still think it's gunna see production😊 and your just testing the waters until you find "sponsorships"😁

Quick Reply: Injector oil stuck open- causes and fixes?