C6 to E4OD swap advice! - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1968-2013 Full Size Vans Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

C6 to E4OD swap advice!

Old 11-29-2017, 03:42 AM
teamtestbot
Junior User
teamtestbot is starting off with a positive reputation.
Red face C6 to E4OD swap advice!

My van desperately needs another gear. While I'm mulling grabbing a Gearvendor unit, I've also been informed that converting a 460 + C6 to a E4OD is possible and with some years are direct bolt-ons.

I see a lot of threads here for people wanting to go the other way (E4OD to C6 or manual.... !?!? ) but not much complete data for going from C6 to E4OD.

So far I've gathered: an aftermarket controller is needed, shift linkages will change, mounts will need to move, and driveshaft will need to be shortened. Nothing seems unreasonable, so I'd like hear the pros and cons. Or if there is another more modern transmission which is swapped in also.

Old 11-29-2017, 08:23 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Post Fiend
Mark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputation
The shift linkages are the same. Other than that your list is correct. There will not be a newer model transmission that will bolt to a 460. That bolt pattern didn't appear on any engine after the 460.

Old 11-29-2017, 12:04 PM
teamtestbot
Junior User
Good to know. Is there a 'best year' for the E4OD to look for in terms of updates or reliability?

I'd definitely like to hear from folks who have done or tried this in the Econolines!

Old 11-29-2017, 02:56 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Post Fiend
Mark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputation
Look for a 1995 or newer.

Old 11-30-2017, 02:23 AM
teamtestbot
Junior User
I've found some possible candidates on eBay and also have my van's mechanic looking around in his network.

Will a 1997 or 1995 unit still have a place to attach the speedometer cable from an 86 van? What kind of shenanigans do people do to work with/around this?

Old 11-30-2017, 07:09 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Post Fiend
You want to get a 4x2 transmission. A 4x4 transmission will require a new output shaft and extension housing to work in a 4x2 application. Changing the output shaft requires taking EVERYTHING out of the transmission, inserting the new output shaft, then reassembling the trans. On the other hand, while it is all apart you could get an output shaft with a speedo drive so that it will work with your speedometer.

Old 01-06-2018, 07:14 PM
72AmericanPR1DE
Junior User
72AmericanPR1DE is starting off with a positive reputation.
I am looking at doing this too. Please let me know if you complete it. I have a 69 F350 crew long bed Im making into a daily driver and want better mpg without doing a cummins swap. Thinking the e4od is the best way to go. Good luck!

Old 01-17-2018, 02:55 PM
BuckTruck
Senior User
BuckTruck is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'm thinking of doing this as well. So, I have an '88 E150 with a 351W C6. I also have a '88 E150 302 with an OD tranny parts van. How difficult would it be to take the tranny and driveshaft from the 302 van and put it behind the 351? do I need to take the computer too? Steering column?

Old 01-17-2018, 03:17 PM
jbwheels
Senior User
jbwheels is starting off with a positive reputation.
This will be fun because I know just enough about this to be dangerous.

I bet the OD trans behind your 88 302 is an AOD and not an AODE or E4OD.
Meaning it's not computer controlled.

If both vans are the same wheelbase, just take everything that bolts to the transmission - driveshaft, cross member, TV cable, etc.

Key to proper AOD operation is the TV cable. I have no clue how to set it up. That's a Google deep dive.

Both donors are Windsors so it should bolt up.

Can you use the 351W flexplate with the AOD & converter? I don't know. I assume flexplate needs to match the engine for balance reasons.

Do you really want to put an AOD where your C6 used to be? C6 is a reliable lump. Is the AOD?

Old 01-17-2018, 04:53 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Post Fiend
The only OD trans in an E-150 in 1988 was the AOD. That's what you have.

Old 01-17-2018, 06:40 PM
Conanski
Post Fiend
Conanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by jbwheels View Post
Can you use the 351W flexplate with the AOD & converter? I don't know.
No, an AOD specific 28oz imbalance flexplate must be used, this engine/trans combo was factory installed in the mid '80 Crown Vic so that is what you ask for at the parts counter.

Old 01-18-2018, 05:37 AM
Im50fast
Nice guy!
Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.
I can understand the desire to get another gear, especially when running a big engine like that. My V10 would probably run just fine with 5.12 rear gears at 85mph for 100,000 miles, but it just “feels wrong”

my question/comment is: Is it worth it? If you calculate the fuel and maybe some extra oil changes... is it worth it?

My vans get lots and lots of miles and usage. Does the OP do so with his 25year old van? I kinda doubt it.

Run what you brung man. Just enjoy it.

Old 01-18-2018, 08:02 AM
Olds64
Elder User
Olds64 is starting off with a positive reputation.
FWIW, I would be hesitant to put an AOD behind a 460. My father owned an 89 Crown Vic with the 5.0L and the AOD. That car was a POS even though it was pretty and well maintained. The transmission died and the valve guide seals were shot. If an AOD can't live a leisurly life behind a 5.0L there's no way it will live behind a 460.

I've considered an E4OD swap into my 86 f250. Here are some websites that should help:

The US Shift Transmission Control System

https://transmissioncenter.net/

Welcome to Monster Transmission | We Build More Than Transmissions, We Build Relationships

Good luck with the swap!

Old 01-18-2018, 12:02 PM
Nothing Special
Postmaster
Nothing Special is a name known to allNothing Special is a name known to allNothing Special is a name known to allNothing Special is a name known to allNothing Special is a name known to allNothing Special is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Olds64 View Post
FWIW, I would be hesitant to put an AOD behind a 460....
You can't do it. The 460 has a different bellhousing pattern than any engine that had an AOD. The confusion here is that there are two different discussions going in the same thread: going from a C6 to an E4OD behind a 460 and moving an AOD from a 302 to a 351M.

Old 01-18-2018, 02:45 PM
BuckTruck
Senior User
BuckTruck is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ok, so I understand what all of you are saying. So, here is all of my info. I had another van with the 302 OD tranny (not the one I'm parting out!!)and I used it to pull a 21' camper. The camper weighed in at about 4K, and the van struggled pulling it. Meaning going up hills or even a windy day, it would barely do 45 (I was usually around 50;and no, I never put it in OD when pulling). I now found my new van with the 351 and a C6, thinking it would do a better job. However, I also noticed the van's with a 302 came with a 3.55 rear end, and the 351/C6 came with a 3.05 rear end (does this not defeat the purpose of the bigger engine ford?). So I was thinking put a 3.55 rear end in the 351 van with an OD tranny and it would help with the gas mileage when I'm not pulling a camper. Which, in all reality I won't use it to pull a camper very often, but more likely would use it to go on long road trips. But this way I can have the overdrive when not pulling anything on long trips, but those rare occasions I want to pull my camper, I just keep it out of OD.
Or would I be better off to just switch rear-ends and keep the C6? I guess my thoughts were if the OD tranny does go out, I would keep all the parts so I could switch it back to the C6 .
Also, I haven't tried pulling my camper with the 351/C6 yet, so I don't know how it is, I'm just guessing with that 3.05 rear end it won't be a big improvement over the 302.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.