2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Complete "How To" Halogen to LED Heads & Tails

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 11:11 PM
Stroking2017
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jmeo
Ok thank you I will do some searching and get motivated for some more fun.
Try this link: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...av-system.html

Old 11-29-2017, 05:21 AM
rwilimo
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow the instructions came out very nice. I'm glad to have contributed to this effort.

Old 11-29-2017, 06:24 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 533 Likes on 257 Posts
Great instructions, jmeo. This should be a sticky.

One other question: you mention removing the "outage" wires. I'm assuming the halogen lights have the ability to tell the computer when the bulb fails, but the LED's do not?

Old 11-29-2017, 06:30 AM
jmeo
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by troverman
Great instructions, jmeo. This should be a sticky.

One other question: you mention removing the "outage" wires. I'm assuming the halogen lights have the ability to tell the computer when the bulb fails, but the LED's do not?
Thank you! On LED vehicles there are 4 additional wires that come from the BCM. Left and right DRL wires and left and right outage wires. When I first started this project I was unaware of the outage wires so I only ran the two DRL wires. I was able to make them work correctly without them simply because of ForScan changes so I didn’t go back and add them.

I suppose someone starting from scratch could run all four from the BCM and not make the line change with ForScan if they wanted to.

Old 11-29-2017, 07:38 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Originally Posted by jmeo
Thank you! On LED vehicles there are 4 additional wires that come from the BCM. Left and right DRL wires and left and right outage wires. When I first started this project I was unaware of the outage wires so I only ran the two DRL wires. I was able to make them work correctly without them simply because of ForScan changes so I didn’t go back and add them.

I suppose someone starting from scratch could run all four from the BCM and not make the line change with ForScan if they wanted to.
I'm guessing the likelihood of a bulb out on an LED setup is considerably less than on the halogen / incandescent setup. Nevertheless, I think having the bulb out warnings is a great feature, and something Ford did not offer at all on previous generations.

My first 2017 F-350 had the factory LED lights; my current 2017 does not. I'm contemplating doing the changeover. However, I have a snow plow installed on this truck. I wonder if plow lighting would be affected or cause any problems in the conversion. For example, when you plug in the plow connector, your headlights automatically shut off and switch to plow lights. Not sure of what wiring was done to make this happen.

Old 11-29-2017, 07:57 AM
itzwolf
New User
First off thank you for this! The LED lights is the one thing that was a must have originally for me but timing of selling my other vehicle and having to find the replacement pushed me to have to get a truck that did not have them but had a bunch of other options I really wanted. I figured adding LED's wouldn't be to bad of a upgrade so I moved forward with the purchase. I still want to add BLIS and possibly adaptive cruise one day but LED's are high on my list to be done before them.

Unfortunately cannot see the images while at work but are the pins for the left and right outage wires notated for someone that would want to run them to be 100% stock configuration?

Old 11-29-2017, 08:25 AM
nolasnyds
New User
It looks like the outage wire pin numbers for C2280F at the BCM are 6 for the Left and 17 for the Right. The connectors at the headlights use Pin 2 for both the Left and Right.

Old 11-29-2017, 08:35 AM
rwilimo
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by troverman
I'm guessing the likelihood of a bulb out on an LED setup is considerably less than on the halogen / incandescent setup. Nevertheless, I think having the bulb out warnings is a great feature, and something Ford did not offer at all on previous generations.

My first 2017 F-350 had the factory LED lights; my current 2017 does not. I'm contemplating doing the changeover. However, I have a snow plow installed on this truck. I wonder if plow lighting would be affected or cause any problems in the conversion. For example, when you plug in the plow connector, your headlights automatically shut off and switch to plow lights. Not sure of what wiring was done to make this happen.
I am running a Western but I am using Retro adaptors right now with no problem. I plan to remove the adaptors when I have some time and hardware, I will post back but I do not expect any problems

Old 11-29-2017, 12:46 PM
BigJoeT
Senior User
Originally Posted by srkr
What was the total cost?

Thank you,..good instructions.
I added the parts list to auto nation ford white bear lake and got 3611.81 plus 188.59 shipping. not knocking it, i really want them on my rig and i'm sure they can be found cheaper, i just wanted a ballpark figure for myself.

EDIT: Tasca Parts was same price but cheaper shipping

Old 11-29-2017, 01:18 PM
troverman
Hotshot
Originally Posted by rwilimo
I am running a Western but I am using Retro adaptors right now with no problem. I plan to remove the adaptors when I have some time and hardware, I will post back but I do not expect any problems
Thanks. I'm running a Fisher so in all practicality its the same setup.

Old 11-29-2017, 01:18 PM
troverman
Hotshot
Originally Posted by BigJoeT
I added the parts list to auto nation ford white bear lake and got 3611.81 plus 188.59 shipping. not knocking it, i really want them on my rig and i'm sure they can be found cheaper, i just wanted a ballpark figure for myself.

Reps sent for taking the time to add the list up for us...thanks!

Old 11-29-2017, 02:58 PM
jmeo
Senior User
Originally Posted by nolasnyds
It looks like the outage wire pin numbers for C2280F at the BCM are 6 for the Left and 17 for the Right. The connectors at the headlights use Pin 2 for both the Left and Right.
Right, in hindsight I would have run the outage wires, but not because I will ever worry about them being out, but because I was there anyway running the DRL wires. If I were any of you starting from scratch I would just run them with the DRL as it wouldn't be a big deal to run 4 instead of 2 wires.

Old 11-29-2017, 03:13 PM
jmeo
Senior User
Originally Posted by BigJoeT

I can tell you I paid $2400 for everything but only because of my connection. You could find the lights used or even get them from eBay or what have you. If you can get them to order collision replacement headlights or taillights through Ford they are cheaper than replacement parts

Old 11-29-2017, 03:20 PM
BigJoeT
Senior User
forgive my ignorance if this has already been covered somewhere/somehow, but what gauge / type of wire did you use for your runs?

Old 11-29-2017, 05:29 PM
brendanlush
Cross-Country
Is it possible to change the LED light or would you have to buy a whole new unit?

Quick Reply: Complete "How To" Halogen to LED Heads & Tails