6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Oil and fuel filter change questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 09:23 PM
razehm
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil and fuel filter change questions

Looking for opinions on this. It was time for a regular oil change. I got a message on the dash that said I needed to change the fuel filter. Thinking (without looking) that a fuel filter would cost about 50 to 80 bucks. So I called up my local dealer, where I got a warranty for life when I bought the pickup, which basically requires me to get all service done at the dealership. I took the pickup in as scheduled and within 45 minutes they came and got me so I could pay $347 dollars. They also said it was still running because they changed the fuel filter. I asked about the fuel filter and looked at the receipt and it was 200 bucks. Listed out as around 100 for the mechanic? And a 100 for the part? Or something like that. Got out to my pickup and it smelled like diesel inside the cab. Thinking it would dissipate after 10 or 15 minutes but it did not. The service was at 0830 and by 1PM it was not gone so I spent about 30 minutes cleaning the inside of my pickup.

So here are the issues I have with this.
1. Now when I start there was a very loud squishing sound like squeezing fuel through the new filter. It use to be completely silent. It is much quieter now but you can still hear it when you could not before.
2. Does the fuel filter need to be changed just because it says so?
3. Should it really cost 200 bucks when they do an oil change at the same time?
4. The smell of diesel.

Is this a normal sound to hear fuel still going through the new filter and I am guessing that is where its from. I never hear it before and I listed to a friend .7 of the same year and it was a F350 as well. It was quiet.

Twice now I have also noticed my cruise control will not hold speed going up and down hill. The green light stays on but it doesn't keep speed up. This never happened before. Guessing to replace this 6.7 if something bad happens is 12K to 20K.

I gave the dealership a poor review on this service. I was planning on calling the service manager but I just have not had time. The owner sent me an email to call him, which I will, but wanted to throw it out to this group first.

Thanks

Old 11-27-2017, 09:44 PM
cangim
Postmaster
Amazon 55 right now, so 100 from dealer, high but probably the msrp.
Motorcraft FD-4615 Fuel Filter
Amazon Amazon

As for the cleanliness, I would throw an absolute fit, like hello, this is my baby here. As for sound afterwards, I haven’t done mine but sounds like it isn’t fully primed yet.

Old 11-27-2017, 09:46 PM
razehm
Senior User
Thanks and this just gets me more steamed. When I looked up a fuel filter at NAPA I think it was 5 bucks or something. $55 at Amazon?

Old 11-27-2017, 11:47 PM
jav_eee
Laughing Gas
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by razehm
Thanks and this just gets me more steamed. When I looked up a fuel filter at NAPA I think it was 5 bucks or something. $55 at Amazon?
You found the wrong one at Napa. Yes, Amazon has both filters you need for around $55.

Old 11-28-2017, 06:28 AM
Pocketlint
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Trust me you dont want to use any after market oil or fuel filters in the truck. Too many issue with the aftermarket one that could lead to big problems, and with the price of a 6.7 engine you dont want to take a chance.

Like cangim has show, if you hunt around, you can find the Ford motorcraft ones at a better price than the dealer, just have to check around. Best thing you can do is when you spot em on sale buy a few and keep em on hand for a few oil changes down the road.

Old 11-28-2017, 07:10 AM
lynnmor
More Turbo
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
You're going to need that hose em, I mean "warranty for life" if you keep going back to those idiots. You are learning that there is no such thing as a lifetime warranty, it's only a way to keep your wallet open.

Old 11-28-2017, 07:11 AM
razehm
Senior User
Oops sorry. The eight on my keyboard doesn't work, after spilling coffee a year ago or so. So I have to use the numeric pad. The fuel filter at NAPA was 85 (eighty-five) and not five and most certainly not $200.00.

Old 11-28-2017, 09:31 AM
CascadeF250
Tuned
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
My suggestion would be for you to buy your own motorcraft filters, etc where you can get them at a much better price (Amazon , Auto Nation or elsewhere ). At my dealer I can furnish motorcraft parts and have them do the labor. Your dealer may let you do this. It would be worth checking. I choose to do my own simple maintenance (fuel,oil changes, and oil filters that I buy from amazon though.

Old 11-28-2017, 11:24 AM
UP_There
Lead Driver
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
EBay has OEM motorcraft combo fuel filters, and oil filter for like $85. Definitely worth doing yourself vs. Dealer

Old 11-28-2017, 11:49 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,677 Likes on 2,745 Posts
I bought my fuel filter kit on Amazon for $55 (or so). Be sure you get the right one. The part number for 2017 is different than prior years. They are not the same.

Old 11-28-2017, 03:12 PM
lincster
5th Wheeling
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
1. Sound of fuel flowing is normal.
2. Yes, if you wait to get the message, you really need to change it. I don't wait. I replace my filters, air and fuel, every other oil change, so around 9000 mile.
3. Everything from the dealer is expensive, so that sounds about right. What you should be questioning is why did you warranty make you get all of the service from the dealer? I think you got screwed there.
4. You had sloppy mechanics. Find a different dealer.

Old 11-29-2017, 11:25 AM
swarf_rat
Elder User
Originally Posted by lincster
What you should be questioning is why did you warranty make you get all of the service from the dealer? I think you got screwed there.
Pretty sure that is illegal. Look up "Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act".

Old 11-29-2017, 11:48 AM
SILVER STROKE
Junior User
Fuel filters are easy to change that's one thing Ford got right on the 6.7. On my 7.3 2 out 3 times I'd crimp the top gasket and it was like Old Faithful. Till I learned to flip the gasket over.

Old 11-29-2017, 04:43 PM
humpbackshooter
Freshman User
Did yall buy U R oil off of Amazon? If so...did it have the "CJ-4" certification seal on the container? I bought some Motorcraft that said it meets the Wss-xxx-xxx........ BUT it didn't have the certification stamp on it. Also did buy my filters there too. No problem there...same ones.

Hump.

Old 11-29-2017, 05:05 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,677 Likes on 2,745 Posts
The Valvoline oil I bought from Amazon is CK-4 but it's on Ford's approved list, so it's OK.

Quick Reply: Oil and fuel filter change questions