Oil and fuel filter change questions - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil and fuel filter change questions

Old 11-29-2017, 06:43 PM
Senior User

razehm is starting off with a positive reputation.
UPDATE I got a call from the owner and we set up meeting Monday morning. He sounds very enthusiastic to make things right. The warranty forever I got came with the purchase, supposedly didn't have to pay anything extra except having all service done there to keep the warranty. I do see some kind of charge "CUSTOMER PAY SHOP CHARGE FOR REPAIR ORDER". Not sure what thats about but I will find out Monday. The warranty was a big reason why I bought the diesel, a little piece of mind in case the engine itself needs to be replaced.
Old 11-29-2017, 07:50 PM
Senior User

dirthawg is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincster View Post
What you should be questioning is why did you warranty make you get all of the service from the dealer? I think you got screwed there.
I've seen this before. It's a lifetime warranty guaranteed by the dealership, it has nothing to do with the FOMOCO warranty. Only catch is all service must be completed by said dealership or the warranty is void.

We were offered something similar when we purchased my wife's Nissan. The dealership was offering a lifetime warranty on the engine regardless of miles for as long as we owned the vehicle if we purchased and allowed the dealer pour in a bottle of oil additive at each oil change. Only catch was, every oil change had to be done at this dealership and the additive had to be added at each oil change. Miss one oil change at this dealership and the lifetime engine warranty was no good.
Old 11-30-2017, 10:13 AM
New User

lincster is starting off with a positive reputation.
Bought Valvoline from Amazon.
It is approved by Ford.
Don't care of the bottle has the stamp, I have the order history from Amazon and Ford's list, that is all I need.
There is a list out there that shows the approved oils.
Old 11-30-2017, 07:52 PM
Postmaster

Ferguson65 has a brilliant futureFerguson65 has a brilliant futureFerguson65 has a brilliant futureFerguson65 has a brilliant futureFerguson65 has a brilliant futureFerguson65 has a brilliant futureFerguson65 has a brilliant futureFerguson65 has a brilliant futureFerguson65 has a brilliant futureFerguson65 has a brilliant futureFerguson65 has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by humpbackshooter View Post
Did yall buy U R oil off of Amazon? If so...did it have the "CJ-4" certification seal on the container? I bought some Motorcraft that said it meets the Wss-xxx-xxx........ BUT it didn't have the certification stamp on it. Also did buy my filters there too. No problem there...same ones.

Hump.
I bought the 5w40 syn from Ford. No API logo. But meets the Ford spec. Have about 4k til next change and will sample again to compare to old CJ4 Motorcraft.
Old 12-01-2017, 11:13 AM
New User

humpbackshooter is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks 65, I was looking at the container and noted that it didn't have the API logo on it. The info said it meets ....WSS-M2C171-F1.... for my Ford Super Duty. I sometimes wonder if I'm getting true FOMOCO stuff from Amazon. It also says it is recommended by Ford motor company for use in your power stroke diesil engine. Well then....I thought motorcraft and ford were the same. :-) So why would they add something like that on the label. Packaging PR i guess.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:17 AM
Senior User

razehm is starting off with a positive reputation.
One more UPDATE. I met with the owner of the dealership. He was very apologetic and very stand up about making things right. The cost is what it is but the service was below what he expects. In short he offered cash but in the end we agreed to a couple of complimentary oil changes, The noise I am still hearing is normal. Although I am going to ask others to listen that I known have a 6.7. And they are going to look into the cruise control issue that has now come up.
Old 12-08-2017, 06:31 AM
Posting Guru

smlford has a good reputation on FTE.smlford has a good reputation on FTE.
Glad the owner is a stand up guy.
That's hard to come by these days.
Old 12-08-2017, 01:57 PM
Freshman User

FGallagher is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by razehm View Post
Looking for opinions on this. It was time for a regular oil change. I got a message on the dash that said I needed to change the fuel filter. Thinking (without looking) that a fuel filter would cost about 50 to 80 bucks. So I called up my local dealer, where I got a warranty for life when I bought the pickup, which basically requires me to get all service done at the dealership. I took the pickup in as scheduled and within 45 minutes they came and got me so I could pay $347 dollars. They also said it was still running because they changed the fuel filter. I asked about the fuel filter and looked at the receipt and it was 200 bucks. Listed out as around 100 for the mechanic? And a 100 for the part? Or something like that. Got out to my pickup and it smelled like diesel inside the cab. Thinking it would dissipate after 10 or 15 minutes but it did not. The service was at 0830 and by 1PM it was not gone so I spent about 30 minutes cleaning the inside of my pickup.

So here are the issues I have with this.
1. Now when I start there was a very loud squishing sound like squeezing fuel through the new filter. It use to be completely silent. It is much quieter now but you can still hear it when you could not before.
2. Does the fuel filter need to be changed just because it says so?
3. Should it really cost 200 bucks when they do an oil change at the same time?
4. The smell of diesel.

Is this a normal sound to hear fuel still going through the new filter and I am guessing that is where its from. I never hear it before and I listed to a friend .7 of the same year and it was a F350 as well. It was quiet.

Twice now I have also noticed my cruise control will not hold speed going up and down hill. The green light stays on but it doesn't keep speed up. This never happened before. Guessing to replace this 6.7 if something bad happens is 12K to 20K.

I gave the dealership a poor review on this service. I was planning on calling the service manager but I just have not had time. The owner sent me an email to call him, which I will, but wanted to throw it out to this group first.

Thanks
After i changed my fuel filters the first time, i got the same noise and a low-power light after driving for a bit. Turns out i was 1 turn short on the frame housing and you can't *****-foot around tightening it.
Old 12-09-2017, 11:04 AM
Senior User

Overkill2 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'm with all the guys here... use OEM ===> Motorcraft...

A lot of guys here rave about this site which I haven't used yet.

https://www.dieselfiltersonline.com/...and-parts.html
Old 12-09-2017, 07:43 PM
Senior User

dirthawg is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill2 View Post
I'm with all the guys here... use OEM ===> Motorcraft...

A lot of guys here rave about this site which I haven't used yet.

https://www.dieselfiltersonline.com/...and-parts.html
I've used them, it is a good site. Shipping kills the low prices. Free shipping if you spend $250 or more. Otherwise Amazon Prime is cheaper.
Old 12-10-2017, 08:52 AM
Senior User

Overkill2 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirthawg View Post
I've used them, it is a good site. Shipping kills the low prices. Free shipping if you spend $250 or more. Otherwise Amazon Prime is cheaper.

I have Amazon Prime. I'll have to look at Amazon.