Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Fordpass cellular phone app

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 08:51 AM
Big-Red-Lariat
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Fordpass cellular phone app

I heard there is an app that allows starting of some newer vehicles by cellphone, and asked via the address published by Ford if it is compatible with my 2016 F150 and 2016 Explorer, but no one responds. Does anyone know the answer or is the Ford rep online ? P-poor customer service to just ignore a customer who asks the same question 3 times....

HellOoooooooooooo. Is anyone there???? Could I please have an answer to this question?

Sent from my BlackBerry — the most secure mobile device — via the Virgin Mobile Network
Sent: November 8, 2017 11:29 AM
To: fordpass@email-fordpass.com
Subject: Fw: compatibility question, 2016 F150 and 2016 Explorer

Could I please have the courtesy of a response to my inquiry of a week ago. Is anybody there???
Sent: November 1, 2017 1:49 PM
To: FordPass@ford.com
Subject: compatibility question, 2016 F150 and 2016 Explorer

Would you please advise me if the FordPass mobile app for remote starting is compatible with either of my two vehicles, and if it will run on a BLACKBERRY KEYONE Android smartphone.

Thank you.

Old 11-27-2017, 09:14 AM
storage_man
Elder User
I'll confirm that the Ford Pass software has no function for remote start, I've looked before. Now maybe there is a separate app for doing that, but I really don't know.

Old 11-27-2017, 09:18 AM
function12
More Turbo
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Fordpass on my 2017 can remote start. You can even set a time for it to remote start every day.

Old 11-27-2017, 09:20 AM
Kingofwylietx
Fleet Mechanic
Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by storage_man
I'll confirm that the Ford Pass software has no function for remote start, I've looked before. Now maybe there is a separate app for doing that, but I really don't know.
Your answer is correct for the 2016 the OP asked about.

That function (remote start) was rolled out in 2017 to a limited number of vehicles (which included the F150, but not the Explorer).

My FordPass app has the function to start, stop, lock, unlock, and locate my 2017 F150. My coworker has a 2017 Explorer, his FordPass does NOT start his vehicle. It is only for vehicles with the Sync3.

Here is what it does:
https://owner.ford.com/how-tos/sync-...150&sync=sync3

Old 11-27-2017, 01:15 PM
shortride
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by storage_man
Fordpass works fine for remote start on my 2018 F-150.

Old 11-28-2017, 07:47 AM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Received 236 Likes on 184 Posts
Originally Posted by Big-Red-Lariat
I heard there is an app that allows starting of some newer vehicles by cellphone, and asked via the address published by Ford if it is compatible with my 2016 F150 and 2016 Explorer, but no one responds. Does anyone know the answer or is the Ford rep online ? P-poor customer service to just ignore a customer who asks the same question 3 times....

HellOoooooooooooo. Is anyone there???? Could I please have an answer to this question?

Sent from my BlackBerry — the most secure mobile device — via the Virgin Mobile Network
Sent: November 8, 2017 11:29 AM
To: fordpass@email-fordpass.com
Subject: Fw: compatibility question, 2016 F150 and 2016 Explorer

Could I please have the courtesy of a response to my inquiry of a week ago. Is anybody there???
Sent: November 1, 2017 1:49 PM
To: FordPass@ford.com
Subject: compatibility question, 2016 F150 and 2016 Explorer

Would you please advise me if the FordPass mobile app for remote starting is compatible with either of my two vehicles, and if it will run on a BLACKBERRY KEYONE Android smartphone.

Thank you.
Remote start via cell phone and using the Ford Pass App for 2016`s will be a possibility as soon as Ford Releases the Smart Link adaptor for the 2011-2016 vehicles and that adaptor will have to go into the OBDII port.

There will be a new App when the adaptor becomes available and it`s going to replace Ford Pass with a new name, and increased features such as the ones in the current Ford Connect App.

Smart Link was supposed to be released late Summer of this year but I had my dealer to check on it and they said it`ll now be early next year.

Yes, it`s going to require a data plan from a cell provider.

Hope this helps.

Old 11-28-2017, 09:54 AM
shortride
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
There may be updates for older models later.

Old 11-28-2017, 04:13 PM
storage_man
Elder User
Originally Posted by shortride
Fordpass works fine for remote start on my 2018 F-150.
Yes I know, but it wasn't there in 2016 per the OP's truck description.

Old 03-25-2018, 12:18 PM
jnuechte
Tuned
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
So when you purchase a vehicle equipped with fordpass you get 5 years of free ability to start your truck with your phone. Once that 5 years is up what does it cost to keep this functionality? I can't seem to find this information anywhere.

Old 03-25-2018, 01:26 PM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Received 236 Likes on 184 Posts
Originally Posted by jnuechte
So when you purchase a vehicle equipped with fordpass you get 5 years of free ability to start your truck with your phone. Once that 5 years is up what does it cost to keep this functionality? I can't seem to find this information anywhere.
FordPass is an app and it has nothing to do with your phone being able to start you vehicle.
However, SYNC Connect, which works in conjunction with FordPass does allow remote starting from your phone.

Old 03-25-2018, 01:48 PM
RegCab
Cross-Country
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Newby here that would like to add, Ford Connect comes with the vehicle or does not. It will say so on window sticker. My 2018 F-150 does not have Ford Connect.
I do have FordPass app on my phone but without Ford Connect I have not found much use for it.

Old 03-25-2018, 05:37 PM
jnuechte
Tuned
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by GABAR
FordPass is an app and it has nothing to do with your phone being able to start you vehicle.
However, SYNC Connect, which works in conjunction with FordPass does allow remote starting from your phone.
My question was what does it cost to keep the ability to start your truck with your phone after the 5 year "free" period is up. Does anyone know?

Old 03-25-2018, 06:13 PM
soundwave
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I was offered the Sync Connect option for my truck when I bought it (that's what you need in your truck in order to use remote start from the FordPass app) but I declined. I was hoping that with the app it would also alert me if my truck was started (without me starting it) or if it would use gps to tell me where my truck is at from the app on the phone. No to both, I was told. So I passed on sync connect. Theres no reason ford couldn't include these features if you have sync connect and navigation in your vehicle. It would give me the extra peace of mind that if my truck was started without me knowing, or was taken without my knowledge, I could use the ford pass app to alert me and locate it.

Old 03-26-2018, 08:28 AM
storage_man
Elder User
Originally Posted by jnuechte
My question was what does it cost to keep the ability to start your truck with your phone after the 5 year "free" period is up. Does anyone know?
I have heard that the deal with sync connect is with ATT mobile. That's how it communicates with your phone. Don't know what the charge would be after the "Free" period, but I do know that with this feature you can turn your truck into a mobile hot spot. The fee for doing this would be $20 per month. I assume you will magically receive a monthly bill from ATT !

Old 03-26-2018, 10:38 AM
TJReams
Fleet Mechanic
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
Ain't nothing magic about it. They get your name and address from Ford, just like Sirrius does. On Star with GM is the same way, I have a friend that has one, they don't mention on the commercials it is not free forever. The Idea is get you used to useing it so you will keep it and pay for it.

Quick Reply: Fordpass cellular phone app