Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Intermittant no WTS light

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2017, 10:59 AM
AACoPD05
Mountain Pass
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Intermittant no WTS light

I searched around a bit but couldn't find anything that quite match my situation. In March this year I bought an '01 F250 7.3, it has 266k on it. Never a problem starting but now its getting colder in Maryland and the truck isn't my daily driver. On a cold morning a few days ago I hopped in, hit the key and there was no wait to start light. I waited anyway, turned the key, and it started, stumbled for about two seconds, white smoke came out of the exhaust but then it cleared up and ran as usual. A few days after this I tried to start it again on a cold morning. Hit the key, no wait to start light...at first, then after the key was left on (about 3-4 seconds) the WTS light came on. I waited, it went off, I cranked it and it started. A shorter stumble, less white smoke, and again ran with no issues the rest of the day. I read a lot about no WTS light would be caused by the fuel bowl heater shorting and it opens a fuse. I would have thought this was my problem at the first instance on no WTS but the light worked after that time, although delayed. Any thoughts?

Old 11-26-2017, 11:19 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
#1 these are fuses, not automatically resetting breakers, they don't open, they blow. #2 glow plugs are activated much longer than that light is on, up to 1.5 or 2 minutes depending on temps. I can't help you with the light. Try waiting about a minute next time and see if it starts any better.

Old 11-26-2017, 05:01 PM
AACoPD05
Mountain Pass
Thanks. The first time the light did not come on I assumed the fuse had blow, from what I read most likely the culprit was the fuel bowl heater. The next start up a few days later the light came back on, albeit after the key was on a few seconds, so I knew the fuse was ok. I started it today and the light came on right away, no stumbling problems and all was well. Today was a little warmer then the past few days though.

Old 11-26-2017, 05:11 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,462 Likes on 2,851 Posts
Could be just as simple as the contacts on the light not making a good connection to the socket. I had this with my cruise control light and ended up changing the small indicator lights like this to LED.

Old 11-27-2017, 02:53 PM
AACoPD05
Mountain Pass
Ah good call, I'll check that out.

How would this issue with the light affect the stumbling when starting it when the light has an issue. When the light is working properly it starts fine with no stumble and no smoke.

Old 11-27-2017, 03:46 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
There should be no connection, maybe coincidence?

Old 11-28-2017, 11:49 AM
afmedic
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Do the LED mod for the glow plugs. That way you KNOW when they are on. Not just some arbitrary time that the light illuminates. It isn't directly connected to anything, more of a dummy light to remind you to let the glow plugs do their job.

Old 11-28-2017, 12:28 PM
Brother Les
Cargo Master
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by AACoPD05
I searched around a bit but couldn't find anything that quite match my situation. In March this year I bought an '01 F250 7.3, it has 266k on it. Never a problem starting but now its getting colder in Maryland and the truck isn't my daily driver. On a cold morning a few days ago I hopped in, hit the key and there was no wait to start light. I waited anyway, turned the key, and it started, stumbled for about two seconds, white smoke came out of the exhaust but then it cleared up and ran as usual. A few days after this I tried to start it again on a cold morning. Hit the key, no wait to start light...at first, then after the key was left on (about 3-4 seconds) the WTS light came on. I waited, it went off, I cranked it and it started. A shorter stumble, less white smoke, and again ran with no issues the rest of the day. I read a lot about no WTS light would be caused by the fuel bowl heater shorting and it opens a fuse. I would have thought this was my problem at the first instance on no WTS but the light worked after that time, although delayed. Any thoughts?

This will not touch on the WTS light....

1) unplug the fuel bowl heater... you do not need it unless you live in the Great White North.... It will cause a lot of problems if the heating element burns out.

2) Find out if your Glow Plug Relay is working.... They seen to short out every few years. The last one that I bought was from Napa.. had a 3year 36,000 mile warranty... no questions asked and is not prorated if it fails, full replacement within time and mileage line. it is Cheaper to ask by Part Number, instead year, and model of truck. I think that it is.... GPR409...

3) when you know that you GPR is working. (I do not go by the time line of the WTS light) Turn the key to 'on' for 30-45 seconds to let the glow plugs heat up and then start the truck. The 'hard to start' routine always happens this time of year and we must wait a few extra seconds before we 'hit the starter'. Winter starting is a little different animal than summer starting, there are many write ups on the 7.3 forum on this. The heavy white smoke is unburned fuel... it should not be as prevalent if you let the 'Glow Plugs' heat up a little longer before hitting the starter. The colder that it is the longer you should wait for the GPs to heat the cylinders hotter.