Aftermarket Hid Kit Not Bright-1986 f150 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Aftermarket Hid Kit Not Bright-1986 f150

Old 11-25-2017, 06:16 AM
ClaySellick
Freshman User
ClaySellick is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.ClaySellick is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Exclamation Aftermarket Hid Kit Not Bright-1986 f150

Hello there guys. Just wanted to see if anyone else have had the following problem. I recently bought a pair of modifystreet projector headlights with Hid bulbs for my 1986 f150.

Modifystreet HID headlights and Bulbs 1986 f150
I was going to install them myself but I had to send my truck to the mechanic so I figured I'd just let him do it. Long story short, the headlights look great and do turn on, but they barely produce light. At night they don't even splash light on the road. I though Mabey the lights were wired wrong but they look correct according to the schematics included.

Modifystreet installation Hid Kit 1986 f150
I haven't torn it apart yet, but the ground wire for the harness is secured to the rad support, and the power wire for the ballasts is attached to the main batt power. Ill be tackling this tomorrow but if you guys have any ideas, let me know. Here is the link to the kit I bought on ebay.8000K HI-LOW HID/7x6 H6052 YELLOW 3D SMD HALO BLACK HOUSING PROJECTOR HEADLIGHTS | eBay
Thanks in advance.

Old 11-25-2017, 09:06 AM
FuzzFace2
Post Fiend
FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.
Years ago I looked into HID driving lights I wanted to use on a project. They were going in the bumper in place of the turn/park lights as I moved them to custom head lights.

Anyway I found doing my research that a lot of the HID systems do not focus the light. Not like a spot light but not a flood either. Most HID's just throw the light out and that makes it look like they are not on.
I think that is what you have and more so if the light you have are the ones pictured.

The lens has no focus lines, look at a normal bulb the lines focus the light. It looks like the lines on the lights are just that....lines to give the lens some??????

I bet if you were to put the truck close to a wall like you were going to aim the lights you will see they are a broad beam. They should also have a "cut off" at the top of the light beam.
You may get lucky and all they need is to be aimed.

Me, I will stick with the normal Halogen bulbs and power them thru relays.
Dave ----

ps: the HID driving lights I got for the project I put on my 02 Durango in place of the stock driving lights (in the bumper also) and they work great. When I get the project on the road I will buy another set.

Old 11-25-2017, 09:54 AM
ClaySellick
Freshman User
ClaySellick is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.ClaySellick is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Thanks for the response. That could be it. I played around with the ground during my off time at work and moved it straight to the neg on the Batt. No change. How do you adjust headlights?

Old 11-25-2017, 10:29 AM
cadunkle
Posting Guru
cadunkle has a good reputation on FTE.cadunkle has a good reputation on FTE.
Those are cheap Chinese junk. They will not give you better visibility than sealed beams, and they will blind other drivers. They are terribly unsafe. Pitch them right in the trash where they belong.

Get some Cibie ECE reflectors (Headlight Services - Headlamps, $90/ea) and Philips or Osram H4 bulbs. Install with relays. This is the best bolt on headlight setup available, it performs better than many new vehicles headlights.

Amazon Amazon
Amazon Amazon

Old 11-25-2017, 11:28 AM
FuzzFace2
Post Fiend
FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.
OUCH! $100 or $200 and you still need to buy bulbs and the relays/wiring!
I am cheap so sealed bulbs it is for me.
Dave ----

Old 11-25-2017, 01:45 PM
ClaySellick
Freshman User
Originally Posted by FuzzFace2 View Post
OUCH! $100 or $200 and you still need to buy bulbs and the relays/wiring!
I am cheap so sealed bulbs it is for me.
Dave ----
These actually did come with the bulbs and wiring as well, the link to my ebay purchase is the first post in this thread.

Old 11-25-2017, 03:41 PM
ClaySellick
Freshman User
FIXED
Hey again guys. Thanks for all who helped me try to figure out what was wrong with my lights. I just pulled out the bulbs from the housings and found out the problem. The bulbs themselves work great, but are meant for a headlight without a projector lens. These bulbs have a steel sheath that shields the top and 3/4 sides forcing the light to the bottom of the bulb, and none through the projector

I need one without the sheath

I find this funny because I bought the light, bulbs and harness as a package and it was all supposed to work together. I guess that's ebay for you. I'm going to go to Canadian tire after work and get the correct bulbs. An extra expense, but at least I can see.

Old 11-25-2017, 03:57 PM
kh0432
Senior User
kh0432 is starting off with a positive reputation.
hella replacements

I replaced my sealed beams on my 86 with Hella part #003427811 with replaceable halogen bulbs. The bulb is easily accessible from the back and is plug and play. I did wind up installing relays to compensate for the voltage drop to the lights but even before that they were plenty bright. Much easier to replace the bulb from the rear than to take out the whole headlight. I paid around $90 on Amazon but now see them on eBay For $70

Old 11-25-2017, 06:28 PM
FuzzFace2
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by ClaySellick View Post
These actually did come with the bulbs and wiring as well, the link to my ebay purchase is the first post in this thread.
I was talking of the other link on the lenses not your link.

Good to hear you found the issue let us know how they work in the dark.
Dave ----

Old 11-26-2017, 09:11 AM
cadunkle
Posting Guru
Be aware teh Hella reflectors and fundamentally a flawed design. You cannot aim both high and low beams properly. With low beams aimed properly, high beams will be way high up in the trees, most of the light being useless.

Old 11-27-2017, 02:38 PM
kh0432
Senior User
kh0432 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hella lights

Sorry, but I have to disagree with the post that the design of the Hellas are flawed. Mine work just fine and the high beam pattern is just a little above my low beams. I'm 100% satisfied with them

Old 12-27-2017, 08:02 PM
ClaySellick
Freshman User
Well, I lied to you guys before. I did not find the problem, or at least that was not the problem. I changed the bulbs in the lights but that did not work. I then found out that the projectors in the housing are universal and are not meant for the housing. They are actually blocking the light instead of focusing it. I'm just going to take them out and buy different headlights. Beware of these lights for your project as they look good but are as effective a a candle in a windstorm.

Old 12-28-2017, 10:25 AM
cadunkle
Posting Guru
Told ya... Go with the Cibie ECE reflectors, some quality bulbs, relays, and upgraded wiring. It'll leave nothing to be desired and is a quick bolt in swap with minimal wiring for relays.

Old 12-28-2017, 12:24 PM
McLeod
Posting Guru
McLeod has a good reputation on FTE.McLeod has a good reputation on FTE.
Before you get too much $$ and time wrapped up in the conversion, have you checked to see if any local laws prohibit hid conversions and/or kits?

They are in violation of the law in Washington state:

"[Headlamps]Must also meet requirements outlined in FMVSS 108 and be marked “DOT” or of ECE regulations. Additionally, they must be marked with a circled uppercase E or boxed lowercase e."

"The Washington State Patrol warns against using kits that convert a halogen bulb to a HID headlight. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has determined the kits do not comply with the federal standards, so a converted headlight wouldn’t be legal in Washington."

and then there is this....Lol!
Please Stop Installing Aftermarket HID Headlights

EDIT:

I should probably clarify that the above is an "administrative interpretation", (along with an interpolation of other info) by the Washington State Patrol of the actual legislative law, which tends to be much more vague regarding specifics....
The actual lawful-ness would need to be determined through the court system in the event it became an issue here.

Old 12-28-2017, 02:14 PM
'86F350ken
Junior User
'86F350ken is starting off with a positive reputation.
But then again it has to be enforced which it doesn't seem that it is because I see all kinds of crappy HID headlights and people running the new LED lightbars.

I have been reading up lately on what headlights to put in my truck but looks like i'll just do some Hella or Cibie H4 headlights with relays.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Aftermarket Hid Kit Not Bright-1986 f150

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.