Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Pano roof glass warped?!?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 06:36 AM
jrbreeland
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pano roof glass warped?!?

I have a 2015 and my roof recently started leaking down the A pillars. The dealership told me the glass is warped causing it not to seal correctly. This allows more water than normal to leak into the rails and then overflows the tracks.

Has anyone else heard of glass warping? I already had the tracks and motor replaced 18 months ago so it's less likely that's the reason.

I asked the service tech if he's seen this before and he said, "Yes, but it's very rare."

I know a lot of people online are complaining of leaks so I'm curious if warped glass is more common than the dealer implied.

Thanks

Old 10-23-2018, 07:14 AM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Received 236 Likes on 184 Posts
Originally Posted by jrbreeland
I have a 2015 and my roof recently started leaking down the A pillars. The dealership told me the glass is warped causing it not to seal correctly. This allows more water than normal to leak into the rails and then overflows the tracks.

Has anyone else heard of glass warping? I already had the tracks and motor replaced 18 months ago so it's less likely that's the reason.

I asked the service tech if he's seen this before and he said, "Yes, but it's very rare."

I know a lot of people online are complaining of leaks so I'm curious if warped glass is more common than the dealer implied.

Thanks
So what are you going to do?

I`d take it to another dealer for a second opinion because I just can`t see the glass being replaced or if it`s even possible.

I`m not sure if you have a Ford ESP or if you`re still under the factory mileage warranty but if you don`t, this will be a pricey repair.

Old 10-23-2018, 08:02 AM
jrbreeland
New User
Originally Posted by GABAR
So what are you going to do?

I`d take it to another dealer for a second opinion because I just can`t see the glass being replaced or if it`s even possible.

I`m not sure if you have a Ford ESP or if you`re still under the factory mileage warranty but if you don`t, this will be a pricey repair.
Ford agreed to pay 75% of the repair so I’m moving forward with it. At least I’ll get a warranty on the roof leaking for 1-2 years. Fingers crossed.

Old 10-23-2018, 08:05 AM
GABAR
Lead Driver

Ford agreed to pay 75% of the repair so I’m moving forward with it. At least I’ll get a warranty on the roof leaking for 1-2 years. Fingers crossed.
Awesome to hear that Ford is picking up 3/4 of the repair cost.

More than likely you`re going to get an entirely new Pano Roof assembly and not just new glass.

Let us know how it turns out.

Have a great day.

Old 10-23-2018, 02:49 PM
smokewagun
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
Ford needs to get with the program. I had a moon in my 2016, and only had noises from dirt accumulating in the seal around the movable glass. Fixed it myself every 6 mos.
It looks like now, these panoramic roofs are a pita to keep in operation without flaws or issues. Why can't they go back to a simple moonroof of yesteryear, or one that rides up and over the rear seating roof, and insert a simple separate glass panel over the rear seat? It's not like it opens in the rear, or looking at the sky through two glass panels would be an issue.
With the water problems that are potential on these massive glass panels, I'll second, third, and fourth guess before I'll pull the trigger on my next truck with one. How many years now with issues for this option?
Ill bet if they offered this pano and the old moon, they'd see in one month what more glass roof owners would WANT, not what's offered.

Old 10-27-2018, 06:12 PM
ArmamentDawg
Senior User
Before doing anything, check to make sure your moonroof drains are not blocked. This is a common occurrence. You can run some wire or something down them to clear them out.

Old 10-29-2018, 12:37 PM
jrbreeland
New User
Update:
Ford replaces both panels and tracks. First rain and it leaked again. They said the new glass the replaced it with was warped also. The glass “now has a new part number.”
What a coincidence.....

Old 10-29-2018, 12:46 PM
ArmamentDawg
Senior User
I suspected that would happen. If those drains are clogged it will overflow the channels and come down your A/B pillars.

Old 10-29-2018, 01:49 PM
jrbreeland
New User
Originally Posted by ArmamentDawg
I suspected that would happen. If those drains are clogged it will overflow the channels and come down your A/B pillars.
The drains weren’t clogged. That much water was leaking in that it would overflow the rails. So either the glass wasn’t sealing well enough or the drain tubes aren’t big enough.
Ford said the glass was the issue.

Old 11-04-2018, 07:09 AM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Update:
Ford replaces both panels and tracks. First rain and it leaked again. They said the new glass the replaced it with was warped also. The glass “now has a new part number.”
What a coincidence.....
Very strange indeed.