Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

welder opinions

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2017, 08:17 PM
72rtchallenger
Fleet Mechanic
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Millermatic 252 welder,,can get spool gun for aluminum separately .035 wire gauge for most ,, tank 75% - 25% for mild steel ,, tri mix tank for stainless steel ,,argon 100% tank for aluminum ,,good auto darken helmet,,the Millermatic 225 welder can do up to 1/2" steel an welds about anything you need ,,and get a welding blanket and some type of welding curtain or screen for outside welding to stop wind interference

Old 11-23-2017, 08:45 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Yesterday I picked up HF welding "blue flamed" helmet for the race shop so I don't have remember to bring the Miller Elite from my home shop.

For $39 it's a darn good value... fast reacting,, comfy, easy to adjust and head flip. I like the fact the grind/darkness **** is on the outside. Get one!

Old 11-23-2017, 08:46 PM
bryanmartin
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The last thing you want to do is spend a bunch of money, only to wish you had spent a little more later when you're ready to expand your welding skills (and you will). Get a proper MIG (i.e. gas shield) machine, as it can be set up as MIG or flux core. I would stay away from flux core for bodywork, as the heat input is not as controllable, and there's lots of spatter to clean up. If you're operating in the wind, just turn the gas flow up. Also, get a 220v machine. You can just dial down the voltage for sheet metal work. I do a lot of custom fabrication and body work (see my build thread for examples), and I've never seen a reason to spend thousands on a Miller or Lincoln. I've used both in welding school, but I've been using the snot out of my 220v Eastwood MIG 175 for about 6-7 years, and I couldn't be happier.

Old 11-23-2017, 08:56 PM
Trailworx
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Miller 211 is an awesome welder and a great price. Parts are always available if it breaks (usually board will go out if used a lot. Easy to replace rather than buy a new machine)

Old 11-23-2017, 09:59 PM
Fert
Senior User
ok so far to sum it up,
1: variable amps
2: 110/220 voltage
3: get a good helment/visor
4: get gas when you are ready to use it... how much does gas cost?
5: constant is better than pulse... whats pulsing? or constant?

Thanks
Fert

Old 11-23-2017, 11:38 PM
bryanmartin
Elder User
Originally Posted by Fert
ok so far to sum it up,
1: variable amps
2: 110/220 voltage
3: get a good helment/visor
4: get gas when you are ready to use it... how much does gas cost?
5: constant is better than pulse... whats pulsing? or constant?

Thanks
Fert
1: MIG welders are typically rated in voltage, TIG welders are rated in amps. You vary amperage on a MIG machine by varying wire feed speed. Voltage and amperage are always variable, so that is not a concern.
2: Yup
3: Yes, spend some money here. Especially if you're doing body work because you'll be doing hundreds of tack welds instead of one continuous bead. The cheaper helmets have a slower reaction time and will lead to pretty bad eye fatigue when you're starting and stopping the arc that many times.
4: Gas cost depends of cylinder size. I recommend spending more on a big bottle because you'll have to fill it less often, and it costs less per pound in the long run (it works on an exchange program like a propane tank).
5: Pulse is a feature you'll find on high-end MIG machines, and will be of little to no use to you. I use the pulse function on my TIG occasionally, but never MIG pulse. Most machines don't have that feature.

Old 11-23-2017, 11:39 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
I just refilled my 72 cf bottle for $60.... 72 cf is like half the size of ultra's bottle above.

I don't recall the initial cost of the bottle because it is like a core charge.

Pulsing is for TIG.

Old 11-23-2017, 11:52 PM
Fert
Senior User
so 72 cf will last1 spool of wire? 1/2 a spool?
BTW: is there a standard length of wire on a spool?
the reason I asked here was because I have seen a cubic butload of pics that some of yall have done on your welds. plus... the welds would be on the same body panels so to speak, I duno if the guage has changed over the years or if that would matter much.
Finally: thanks for the info, I am now able to start to ask and think differently on some of this. normally I am a hands on person, especially after watching someone. this time its gona be read, youtube and just do it.

Fert

Old 11-24-2017, 12:00 AM
bryanmartin
Elder User
Originally Posted by Fert
so 72 cf will last1 spool of wire? 1/2 a spool?
BTW: is there a standard length of wire on a spool?
the reason I asked here was because I have seen a cubic butload of pics that some of yall have done on your welds. plus... the welds would be on the same body panels so to speak, I duno if the guage has changed over the years or if that would matter much.
Finally: thanks for the info, I am now able to start to ask and think differently on some of this. normally I am a hands on person, especially after watching someone. this time its gona be read, youtube and just do it.

Fert
A bottle will last a good long time, but again, depending on the size. There probably is a standard length, but that's not how they're measured. They're measured in pounds. When you ask if the guage has changed over the years, do you mean the gauge of automotive sheet metal? Yes, it's gotten thinner. 60s-70s used 19 gauge which is nearly impossible to find, so most replacement is 18 gauge. Unfortunately aftermarket replacement panels are often super thin, like 20-22 gauge. You'll be best-off if you learn how to make you're own panels.

Old 11-24-2017, 08:33 AM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
I bought my rig in '09 and I bought my gas bottle out right at that time as well --the gas cylinder is mine, I don't rent it.

The 80 cu. ft. cylinder was $150.00 dollars. The gas was $25.00. All together (in '09) the total cost of the filled cylinder, with tax, was $193.16.

....my Lincoln K520 welding cart will handle up to a 150 cu. ft. bottle.

Old 11-24-2017, 02:49 PM
DirtyFerd
Tuned
Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
HIO Silver. I also have one of those cheap harbor freight auto darkening helmets. I've owned it for a couple of years and had to stop using it because it doesn't get dark enough anymore.
I use a millermatic 210. If you're doing body work, you'll want solid core wire. You might need to turn up the gas some if welding outside, but the flux core wire is really messy with a lot of splatter.

Old 11-24-2017, 04:08 PM
Jeff Watts
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Best and most flexible welder on the market. High quality, and best warrantee.

Everlast 251. Yes, his voice is annoying, but his info is good.

Old 11-24-2017, 07:26 PM
burnthelight88
Laughing Gas
Also looking for a MIG. Subscribed

Old 11-24-2017, 08:48 PM
Fert
Senior User
Originally Posted by Jeff Watts
Best and most flexible welder on the market. High quality, and best warrantee.

Everlast 251. Yes, his voice is annoying, but his info is good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPPgiwYZriQ

I have been watching some of his videos.
thanks for the info

Fert

Old 11-24-2017, 11:46 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by DirtyFerd
HIO Silver. I also have one of those cheap harbor freight auto darkening helmets. I've owned it for a couple of years and had to stop using it because it doesn't get dark enough anymore.
I use a millermatic 210. If you're doing body work, you'll want solid core wire. You might need to turn up the gas some if welding outside, but the flux core wire is really messy with a lot of splatter.
Yeah the drawback is that the battery is sealed but has a solar assist. I understand its life is about five years. For $39 it's a decent value.

Quick Reply: welder opinions