What's up with the Wrench Icon? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

What's up with the Wrench Icon?

Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old 11-21-2017, 04:19 PM
Jim76210
New User
Jim76210 is starting off with a positive reputation.

The last couple of weeks have been having issues with exhaust filter cleaning. I'm guessing I'm not driving far enough to heat the engine/exhaust up enough for everything to work well. 2012 F240 2wd 6.7L Diesel.

Old 11-21-2017, 07:59 PM
senix
senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
If you get the wrench then it is a powertrain fault and will set a code. You need to read the code.

Often a check engine light will set, but not always so it could have self resolved.

Old 11-22-2017, 09:30 AM
Jim76210
New User
Thanks Senix

I took the truck to Ford last night after work. Have an appointment this morning. Interestingly (to me) left the truck running while talking to the service person and then drove home. On the way home, the Cleaning Exhaust System message came on for a few seconds and then was replaced by the Wrench icon then the Cleaning Exhaust System ... repeat for the 6 miles until I arrived at home and turned the truck off. This morning, started the truck and no Drive to Clean Exhaust message or a Wrench icon displayed. Still going to take it to Ford to see what they have to say about it. What do y'all think?

Thanks,
Jim

Old 11-22-2017, 04:56 PM
senix
senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
I would take it in as well.

Old 11-23-2017, 08:50 AM
Jim76210
New User
Thanks again Senix.
Here's an update - They checked it out and told me that apparently I do not drive very far everyday, so therefore the truck isn't being driven far enough / long enough to get a complete regen. So, they enabled an option to perform a "forced regen". Whenever a Drive to Clean Exhaust message pops up that I will have the option to run the forced regen. Cautioning me not to park close to any other vehicles or close to flammable objects. That the engine will idle up and run at that higher rpm for up to 30 minutes to do a complete regen. The engine will return to normal idle when finished.

Thanks again for your advice.
Jim

Old 11-23-2017, 08:51 AM
senix
that can be a problem for commuter trucks.