4r100 rebuild problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 11:49 AM
DarrellinCeres
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
4r100 rebuild problems

So at 365,000mi on my 99 v10 SD 4x4 the front pump started wining (though it was power steering pump at first) so I take it to a local shop to get rebuilt because I was short on time and fast turn around. And man am I regretting it.

He says he put a Tugger in it but I think there may be more.

The most noticeable issue is 3-4 shift. RPMs clime before engaging this is making it feel like it is slipping then grabbing. It's bad enough that it gets my attention almost every time it shifts. If I'm real easy on it it isn't as noticeable.

If I stomp on it to pass and it downshifts I am into the rev limiter and have to let my foot off the gas and lose speed before it will up shift. I have actually been unable to make a pass on the two lanes because of it. Before the rebuild I have never hit the rev limiter and it is a very uncomfortable feeling to suddenly have your truck just cut out on power and not shift and have to not only let off the gas but wait for it to shift.

I also notice that if I am in 4th going down the freeway at cruising speeds and I let off the throttle for a second then back on it that I also notice the RMP rise and fall as if it is slipping. He is trying to tell me that is the torque converter. I would thing that at that speed it should stay in lockup.

I run a SCT programmer in it and what ever was done seems to have eliminated the firmer shift of the performance program. It's almost like whatever was done almost negates the program. I really don't notice any change now from stock and tune. I put it back to stock before taking it in for any work. I did tell him that I run tunes.

Would a Trugger/Transgo kit do this? He's trying to tell me that it is something wrong with my truck and not the work he did. But it was fine before he rebuilt it. I want to have an intelligent conversation with him and would like to know what things I should be asking and saying. I really can't stand the way it shifts now. I already took it back to him once and he had it for two days and didn't really make any difference.

Opinions on cause, advice and what to ask and say from those of you that know transmissions would be great. I am mechanically inclined just not versed on transmissions.

Thank you