When do you plug in your diesel? - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

When do you plug in your diesel?

Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When do you plug in your diesel?

Old 11-21-2017, 04:26 PM
MG250
Senior User
MG250 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have mine on a $5 timer (for 90 minutes) when I have to park it outside. I use it when the outside temp is below freezing and it's mainly so my windows can defrost quicker.

Old 11-21-2017, 05:46 PM
Chuck-B
Elder User
Chuck-B is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Chuck-B is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Great thread. My '04 didn't have a heater, the 13 does - it was manufactured in Canada and lived it's 1st 40,000 miles in Montreal - I live in CT, only on occasion do we get into the single digits, rarely below 0. I usually plug mine in if it is going to be in the single digits. I did read something in the thread about the oil being warm and that it flows better - which is for sure accurate. When I was younger there were 2 types of oil 10W30 and 10W40 - you used the 40 in the summer and the 30 in the winter so your engine cranked faster - now that I've read this the dots got connected and for lubrication purposes I think I'll start plugging mine in when it's below freezing if I know I'm going to be driving the truck in the AM - will also be nice to reap the benefit of it warming up sooner - but I have a Platinum and have those woofie heated seats and heated steering wheel.

Old 11-21-2017, 07:49 PM
Ferguson65
Postmaster
Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by fordmantpw View Post
Curious, why don't you buy a $5 timer and save a more than that in a month? Not bashing, just throwing it out there
Why? Because sometimes I don't know when I'm going to use it. For sure I will use it every weekday morning. Weekends who knows. If it's snowing it keeps a good bit off the hood also if it's left plugged in and warm.

There is minimal impact to the electric bill. And I don't want a timer to fiddle with. I just want a warm truck.

Also, I do it for warm oil and easier starts on the engine. Unfortunately, the aluminum on my oil samples is about 5x normal so it's not helping any.

Old 11-21-2017, 09:36 PM
Bugize
Senior User
Bugize is starting off with a positive reputation.
I plug mine in when the overnight temps get into the teens.....and then its for 3-4 hrs in the morning