2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

10 Speed Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 09:33 AM
motomed
Cross-Country
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
10 Speed Transmission

Am I the only one who thinks this is a terrible idea? More shifting and an engine that will likely be designed to make very efficient power over smaller rpm range to go along with it all sounds bad to me. I understand manufacturers are willing to do almost anything to save a few fractions of an mpg, but it's gotta stop somewhere. Maybe I'm just getting old and don't want change, but seems like a lot of the things that have changed on vehicles are solely for sake of emissions and mileage, and if I'm being honest I don't much care about either, especially when we're adding complexity and repair costs for microscopic gains in those areas.

Old 11-19-2017, 09:55 AM
SeaKaye12
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey motomed....

I could have written your post. I have the exact same concerns. Sadly too....it's going to be a few years before we all know just how good a thing the new Ford 10-speed tranny idea really is. Or how good the trany itself is.

Never a good idea to buy something in it's first model year out.....this is sure no exception.

Old 11-19-2017, 10:08 AM
John17f250
Junior User
Seems like a good idea. Let the transmission do more shifting to always keep the motor in the best rpm range to give you the best power and fuel economy. Hopefully they are reliable?

Old 11-19-2017, 10:13 AM
First Dually
Senior User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Adding more gears will have diminishing returns, and will be a bit challenging with the torque motors like the current diesel develops. I'd avoid year one! But, I'd guess before long the new transmission will prove its worth.

We have a Corvette with an 8-speed automatic. It does shift a lot...but you have to try to notice it during a leisurely drive. And when picking up the pace the transmission will out perform the old transmissions time after time.

Old 11-19-2017, 10:25 AM
SeaKaye12
New User
The wear in a transmission occurs during the shifting and is minimal once in gear. With 10 speeds to pick from....there is a lot of shifting going on....up shifting and downshifting. Some wear occurs on each shift. It's unavoidable because there is some slippage.

Maybe it will turn out to be a stellar transmission. I will let other buyers find out for me.

Old 11-19-2017, 10:47 AM
cficare
Cargo Master
Received 330 Likes on 195 Posts
Originally Posted by SeaKaye12
With 10 speeds to pick from....there is a lot of shifting going on....up shifting and downshifting.
Yes, but the 10-speed is designed for most of those shifts to occur at higher speeds, and be almost unfelt to the operator ... supposed to not feel like it's "hunting." The F150's 10-speed is supposed to downshift to a gear which is pretty close to the top gear ... very close gear ratios at the upper end ... and the engine remains at a favorable RPM when going up hill. This means more to a gas engine than a high-torque diesel.

And did y'all know that Ford and Chevy worked together to develop the 10-speed? The same F150 transmission is in the Camaro. The joint effort was done to avoid duplication of very similar parts during manufacture. That effort also utlized many of the parts already manufactured for other transmissions, which reduces having to develop additional piece-part manufacturing lines.

And though Ford and Chevy are using the exact same hardware, their onboard operating programs are different ... plus some of the gear ratios are different. Wouldn't want the F150 shifting like a Camaro, do we? OK, maybe some of us do.

Old 11-19-2017, 11:25 AM
Blast2hell
Freshman User
I have a 2017 Camaro ZL1 with the 10 Speed auto. I have to say that so far it's the best automatic I've ever had in a sports car.

I know the F150's are using it now as well. Seems like Ford and GM are going to put it in pretty much anything they can fit it in. I'm interested to see how well it does over the next few years, and with it being so common, the aftermarket would have to jump on it as well.

Old 11-19-2017, 11:40 AM
acadianbob
Cargo Master
Received 531 Likes on 300 Posts
It will have to be very expertly programmed and the shifts nearly imperceptible or the constant shifting will drive you crazy. Initial reports of the programming on the F150 10 speed are very favorable.

Old 11-19-2017, 11:48 AM
fordmantpw
Cargo Master
Received 433 Likes on 138 Posts
FYI, the 2018 Mustang has the same 10 speed now too.

Old 11-19-2017, 12:04 PM
Towerhog
Senior User
I didn't have a 10 speed but the Chevy 8 speed. I can tell you that in city driving it was horrendous. Upshift, downshift, upshift, downshift, it couldn't decided what it wanted to do and that coupled with the V8/V4 mode, made for an interesting yet annoying ride in town. And there isn't any real programing by the dealer that can be done. Oh sure, they can reset the computer, but it is an adaptive (learning) program that tries to adjust to your driving style. Doesn't always work. I hope I don't have to go to the 10 speed in the future and if I do, I hope the bugs are worked out by then.

Old 11-19-2017, 12:21 PM
unit
5th Wheeling
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
In this case, more is better. Ford is championing smaller, V6 engines with turbos and they don't have a long, flat torque curve. Keeping the engine rpm's in the sweetspot maximizes performance and driver enjoyment. I have not read many complaints about 10 and 11 speed transmissions in any of the reviews I see online. These are electronically controlled transmissions and many early shifting problems are easily fixed with a new tune. If you have a tuner, you can modify the shift points yourself. GM and Ford are also using the 8 and 10 speed transmissions in V8 cars and trucks - they are the future!

Old 11-19-2017, 03:16 PM
acadianbob
Cargo Master
Received 531 Likes on 300 Posts
Originally Posted by unit
In this case, more is better. Ford is championing smaller, V6 engines with turbos and they don't have a long, flat torque curve.
I would argue that the turbo's provide a nice long, flat torque curve. For example, the 3.5 Ecoboost has a much better torque curve than the 5.0 V8. Turbo 4 cylinder engines typically have nice torque.

Old 11-19-2017, 04:29 PM
72GTS
Tuned
I have a 17 F150 4x4 3.5 ecoboost 10 spd. The combo is a great package. Trans is smooth it holds gears very well. I drive 50 miles one way to work every day. There's a good sized hill on the way in it holds 10th all the way up no down shifts at all @ 70 mph. I think Ford hit the nail on the head with this trans.

Old 11-19-2017, 05:01 PM
EKUgrad
Senior User
More gears does not necessarily mean more shifting; look at the original TorqShift, which was a 6 speed tranny that operated as a 5. Not every gear has to be chosen in any given shifting sequence; I for one welcome more gears assuming the reliability remains constant.

Old 11-19-2017, 05:33 PM
blkout50
Tuned
Originally Posted by 72GTS
I have a 17 F150 4x4 3.5 ecoboost 10 spd. The combo is a great package. Trans is smooth it holds gears very well. I drive 50 miles one way to work every day. There's a good sized hill on the way in it holds 10th all the way up no down shifts at all @ 70 mph. I think Ford hit the nail on the head with this trans.
Purchased my wife a simular F150 with the 10 speed transmission. Very happy with the 10 speed. I agree Ford (and GM) did a great job on the 10 speed trans.

BTW, trans will skip gears when not needed so you will not get the excessive shifts that typically cause wear.

Quick Reply: 10 Speed Transmission