Notices
Modular V10 (6.8l)  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V10 in an RV

Old 11-18-2017, 08:18 AM
gccch
Senior User
gccch is starting off with a positive reputation.
V10 in an RV

Hi all,

I have a new to us 2010 Winnebago with the V10. It has low miles, so I am wondering if I should be pro-active and replace the manifold studs now rather than later. They are fairly easy to access in the truck frame, but I don't want to open a can of worms either. They do look a little rusty, have not failed yet, but with now 16k miles on the engine maybe easier to get them out now? Here are some pics from one side. Can I replace one at a time without removing the manifold and replacing the gasket?

Attached Images    
Old 11-18-2017, 08:25 PM
billybobofkf
Senior User
billybobofkf is starting off with a positive reputation.
I think you should be prepared to open a can of worms. Lots of great posts in the history of this page on replacing broken studs. I would go for it.

Old 11-18-2017, 09:29 PM
rvpuller
rvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud of
If it isn't broke why try and fix it, I had 2 V10s one still had the original studs at 300+ when it died (I no longer owned it at that mileage) and the other had 130K when I traded it with original studs.

Denny

Old 11-19-2017, 09:06 AM
gccch
Senior User
gccch is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by rvpuller View Post
If it isn't broke why try and fix it, I had 2 V10s one still had the original studs at 300+ when it died (I no longer owned it at that mileage) and the other had 130K when I traded it with original studs.

Denny
Well I'm thinking it may be easier now to get them out before they continue to rust and degrade. If it doesn't matter and will be just as bad now then I will leave them alone.

Old 11-19-2017, 04:09 PM
rvpuller
rvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud of
The only place you will see rust is where you can see them, when I changed the bad manifold gasket on my 4.6 F150 with 122K miles the stud where it went into the head was not rusted just the nut and exposed stud. I even reused 6 of the 8 studs, two broke off when trying to remove the nuts. Every motor I have ever taken apart had rusty exhausts studs. If you change them they will look the same way in a couple of years.

Denny

Old 11-20-2017, 05:11 PM
Diamnd1
Elder User
Diamnd1 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Diamnd1 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Don't play pinata with a hornets nest if you aren't prepared to get stung!

Old 11-22-2017, 11:52 AM
geekwithoutacause
Senior User
geekwithoutacause is starting off with a positive reputation.
Don't do it !
Some are guaranteed to break off.

Old 11-23-2017, 05:13 AM
Im50fast
Nice guy!
Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.
I offer you mixed advice.

1. DONT WORRY ABOUT IT ! I got my v10 E350 4y5m ago and it already had some broken studs on the passenger side. It made some ticking noises when cold but only for 30-45 seconds or so. I’m a very busy man so I just ignored it.
Here I am 210,000 miles later with the same van and never fixed it. And yeah it probably has a few more studs missing or loose. I still drive it.

2. JUMP IN ! In your RV, I assume you have more room to work on it. And I assume it wouldn’t be a terrible thing if the project whooped you and caused days or weeks of downtime.
Soak them with PB Blaster a few times and then get into the job. Be sure to spend a few hours here on FTE learning what others have learned (learnt? Lol) before you.

Keep us posted.

Old 11-27-2017, 02:52 PM
sddesigns
FTE Chapter Leader
sddesigns has a superb reputationsddesigns has a superb reputationsddesigns has a superb reputationsddesigns has a superb reputationsddesigns has a superb reputationsddesigns has a superb reputationsddesigns has a superb reputationsddesigns has a superb reputationsddesigns has a superb reputationsddesigns has a superb reputationsddesigns has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Diamnd1 View Post
Don't play pinata with a hornets nest if you aren't prepared to get stung!
I did play with the hornets nest deciding to fix the slight ticking sound and go with a new exhaust manifold since we were fixing the already broken ones, but now it doesn't have the Ford studs just the SS bolts that came with the Gibson headers.

Heres my story...https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...d-project.html

Old 01-07-2019, 09:17 PM
PirateGhost
Freshman User
PirateGhost is starting off with a positive reputation.
Did you change those studs?

Old 01-08-2019, 07:48 AM
tiffy2000
New User
tiffy2000 is starting off with a positive reputation.
exhaust

Originally Posted by sddesigns View Post
I did play with the hornets nest deciding to fix the slight ticking sound and go with a new exhaust manifold since we were fixing the already broken ones, but now it doesn't have the Ford studs just the SS bolts that came with the Gibson headers.

Heres my story...https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...d-project.html
Any concerns about drilling out the SS bolts for the headers if they ever break off ?