6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Help! Truck wont start after Titan fuel tank install. Stranded

Old 11-16-2017, 09:08 PM
90pioneer
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Help! Truck wont start after Titan fuel tank install. Stranded

2015 king ranch. Had a shop install a Titan fuel tank. Truck drove 25 feet out of the shop, flashed reduced engine power message and the engine immediately quit.

Has 7 gallons of diesel in it

Been through the priming prodecures turning key to run 6 times for 30 seconds each. Tried many times.

Will not fire. Have a ppei tuner and not getting any codes. Pulled a fuel line going to the fuel filter in the engine and fuel was coming out... Although not a whole lot.

Batteries died from the cranking. Currently getting a jump pack hooked up. Its 20* outside and snowing. Any help would be appreciated. 60 miles from home.

Old 11-16-2017, 09:59 PM
Jswenski
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wish I could help... Any chance something is air locked or fuel deprived at the filter? Once on my 6.0 they did not properly prime the filter after changing and stalled about five miles from shop and would not restart. Not a mechanic... But worth a look.

Old 11-16-2017, 10:32 PM
JohnD333
Laughing Gas
Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts
No fun.

I have put 4 of these tanks in myself. 7 gallons does not cut it. 7 gallons may get you to a station when you have been running for hours or days, but NOT NEARLY ENOUGH from empty fuel line/system. Put in at least 5 more gallons, 10 if you can, start prime process all over again, and if it fires up, then get to fuel pump quick.

IF battery is dead from cranking, someone is an idiot.

What went wrong? My guess is not enough fuel in tank or the fuel line from tank to under frame filter was/is not connected properly (sucking air).

How does pump sound when only turning key but not cranking? Is pump running briefly, then cycling off? This is what it should do - run maybe 4 seconds !quietly!, then shut off. If you hear no noise it is probably not running. Check your hearing! ( mine sucks) if ok, check fuse/cutoff from overheating. If it keeps running more than 4-5 seconds with each key turn, or is noise, it is sucking air. Does it sound noisier than before tank? It is sucking air. Try opening lower filter water separator, drain drain1/2 cup, and close again. Cycle key. Any better?

it is AT ALL possible that tank had plastic shavings in it from mfg that installer failed to remove per mfg instructions. (Why the heck mfg does not remove has been an issue since at least 2009 when i instalked my first tank.) Doubt those shavings would plug filter in priming process, but if pump does not run and fuse/relay is good, or keeps popping, just maybe shavings stopped up within the pump and jammed it.

Is tgere ANY, and i mean ANY chance installer changed your fuel filters in (before, during, after) the proocess???? If so, they may not have lubes the O-ring with motor oil or failed tightened the cap on lower filter and pump is sucking air. Maybe they switched the in/out lines on the engine filter??? If they touched either, i would put this as most likely cause.

you can always unscrew the frame filter cap, check for junk, toss the big chunks, toss tge accumulated fuel, lube the o ring with oil, reinstall cap and start the priming process all over do it the full 6 times, pausing for a few seconds in between, without any cranking. Crank just a bit and it it does not start, stop cranking, remove the frame fuel filter cap again. If a LOT of fuel, pump is working. If a little or none it is not, OR that line from tank to filter is not connected properly.

There are 2 lines to tank. One out to frame filter, one back from engine filter. Different sizes, almost impossible to switch without ending up with fuel all over.

hope this helps.

Old 11-17-2017, 12:04 AM
90pioneer
Laughing Gas
After 4 hours they finally got it going again.

My batteries weren't super strong to begin with but yeah they died after a couple hours of trying to get it to crank.

I believe the problem was air in the fuel line. With it disconnected by the fuel filter in the engine they were getting only a little bit of fuel and air bubbles. I guess all they really could do was keep cranking on the thing until all the air got out. Eventually fuel started gushing out instead of dribbling. Definitely not the best thing for the batteries or the starter but not sure what else could have been done. And it was 20* outside so not exactly ideal working conditions.

Drove it right to the pump and filled it up, then drove home without issue. Hopefully no more problems.

Old 11-18-2017, 10:24 AM
cangim
Postmaster
I had about 10 gallons in my tank post change over, tuned key on for priming, you could hear there was air in the lines, much like a kid shooting bubbles in the toilet when taking a wiz, when the air was out on the 6th cycle, it was a clean constant smooth. check lines for leaks at this point, no issues so took it to the pump to top off.

A tip I read, but didn't do and wish I had, should have opened up the water separator to empty the tank as much as possible into a clean jug, would have saved some time and frustration. Perhaps this helps the next person.

Old 11-19-2017, 03:38 PM
cjssr
Mountain Pass
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Check bottom of main fuel filter housing for plastic shavings. I cleaned my Titan tank extremely well when I installed as had a lot of plastic shavings left in the tank from the factory.

Old 11-19-2017, 05:40 PM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
When I installed my titan 65 gal, I dumped 5gal of fuel into it, didn't prime or anything. It started right up with no problems. Took to fuel station and filled it. Have ran it down to 5 gal on trips and no problems.

Old 11-20-2017, 02:16 AM
90pioneer
Laughing Gas
Thanks for the tip about the shavings. I will check the filter for them.

Everything has been smooth except one last issue. The truck smells like diesel. In the cab and outside around it. Start the truck with the vents on and it gets stronger. Leave it in the garage for an hour and the whole garage smells. I sent an email to Titan but wondering if you guys have any ideas.

Old 11-20-2017, 05:12 AM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Is there not a new tank vent/hose include in the kit? Did you install this correctly? The vent should open allow air to enter when negative pressure the tank but close when there is positive pressure in the tank. This it to prevent collapsing the tank from suction.

Old 11-20-2017, 06:16 AM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,183 Likes on 568 Posts
Originally Posted by 90pioneer
Thanks for the tip about the shavings. I will check the filter for them.

Everything has been smooth except one last issue. The truck smells like diesel. In the cab and outside around it. Start the truck with the vents on and it gets stronger. Leave it in the garage for an hour and the whole garage smells. I sent an email to Titan but wondering if you guys have any ideas.
Did you fill to the top of the filler neck to check for leaks on your first fill as recommended by Titan? I did and had a lot of weeping from the two vents on the top of the tank. (Not the filler neck vent.) After getting past the regional sales guy at Titan on my second call, I finally got a real tech. He explained to me that when these valves are new and dry, they sometimes need a good soak with diesel to swell the seals and start functioning normally. So, when I did my initial overfill, diesel was able to seep out the environmental pressure change vents and sit on the top of the tank making things stinky. It would run down the sides while driving and blow back coating the DEF tank and surrounding area too. When the level went down in the tank, the issue stopped. When I filled the next time, I just shut down the pump when it clicked off. After that, no more weeping or stinky truck. The guy at Titan tells me that some do this on the initial fill and some don't. Mine did and when I posted about it I found that most others didn't. I did have a few guys report the same though so it's not super rare. Anyways, that may or may not be your issue but it sounds similar to my experience...

Oh, and you can check by sneaking your hand up above the tank, finding the vents, and feeling around under them. Mine were slowly dripping when the tank was new and completely full. I also looked at them with a WIFI endoscope but that was just to play with an electronic toy and get a picture. I could tell by feeling blindly with my hand where it was coming from...

Old 11-21-2017, 07:17 AM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
First off, did you torque the nuts for the fuel gauge sending unit TWICE per installation directions?

When I installed my tank and after torquing twice, I did a pressure test. I sealed all the opening and applied approx 20psi to the tank. I verified no leaks and then installed the tank. I did not have any weeping or seeping of fuel even on the first full fill.

I would still check the vent to insure it is installed in the roll over vent assembly hose properly. It is a one way valve. It should not allow fumes or fuel to vent via the hose. It should allow air to inter the tank as fuel is used.

Apparently the roll over tank vent has changed since I installed mine. Mine came with the blue hose and the stock vent hose had to be cut to install it. I would still check to insure the roll over tank vent is installed properly

Old 11-22-2017, 06:23 PM
U235Fishin'
Senior User
Originally Posted by cjssr
Check bottom of main fuel filter housing for plastic shavings. I cleaned my Titan tank extremely well when I installed as had a lot of plastic shavings left in the tank from the factory.
When I inspected my new 50 gallon tank, I saw plastic shavings inside. So I vacuumed the tank and then used a swiffer duster to get fine particles. Even with that, the frame fuel filter had stopped some missed particles when changed after a few hundred miles. Titan needs to improve their manufacturing process. I had no problems starting the truck with about 5 gallons in the new tank. I have had no problems with the Titan tank after a couple years operation.

Old 11-22-2017, 06:55 PM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,183 Likes on 568 Posts
That was certainly the situation with Titan for a while but their new tanks are plastic shaving free. They took a lot of flack for that and have really stepped up cleaning the tanks before shipping of late.