Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Leaking tank making a new one

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 06:15 PM
Jon143
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leaking tank making a new one

Found out I'm losing diesal from the front tank so I thought about it why not make a big one and get rid of the dual tanks.... I know I can make this just wanted to know what it needs I know a return line, a line to the fuel pump, and a hole to put the fuel in I want to get rid of fuel selector...I'll be making it out of steel.... if I'm missing anything plz let me know lol one problem after the other lol I love my truck

Old 11-16-2017, 09:02 PM
genscripter
Cargo Master
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
IIRC, guys were installing 38 gallon Bronco tanks. Fuel Tank Rear 38 Gallon-Broncograveyard.com I can't remember if that was an IDI Van thing, or an IDI truck thing, but it was all the buzz on this forum a few years ago. I know when I looked into it for my IDI van, the frame rail wasn't tall enough to accommodate it, but maybe your truck can handle it. It would save you the time and effort of fabbing up tank on your own.

Old 11-16-2017, 09:51 PM
Jon143
Junior User
Originally Posted by genscripter
IIRC, guys were installing 38 gallon Bronco tanks. Fuel Tank Rear 38 Gallon-Broncograveyard.com I can't remember if that was an IDI Van thing, or an IDI truck thing, but it was all the buzz on this forum a few years ago. I know when I looked into it for my IDI van, the frame rail wasn't tall enough to accommodate it, but maybe your truck can handle it. It would save you the time and effort of fabbing up tank on your own.
well I got the steel lol be cheaper for me to make one but just wanted a little knowledge about the tank I know the stock tank all of its lines are on top of it I thought it would be better to put the sendimg side on or close near bottom for it doesn' have to fight gravity and put the return side on top... would that work??

Old 11-16-2017, 11:30 PM
genscripter
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Jon143
well I got the steel lol be cheaper for me to make one but just wanted a little knowledge about the tank I know the stock tank all of its lines are on top of it I thought it would be better to put the sendimg side on or close near bottom for it doesn' have to fight gravity and put the return side on top... would that work??
Everything you are writing is antithetical to tank design. First off, the bronco tanks are only $160 (there is a 10% discount on that particular website right now). Even with the steel, it's going to be hard to argue that spending the time drafting up, cutting, welding, and building the accessories for a tank for less than that kind of money.

I personally would never put a sending unit or fuel pickup on the side or bottom of a steel diesel tank. Sounds like a perfect place for water to build up, cause rust, and eventually leak. now if you were working on an aluminum tank, that's different.

Fighting gravity is not a thing on these small scales. I think I read these lift pumps (and e-pumps) can pull diesel up a dozen feet in theory.

Also, you don't want your return splashing into the tank. It causes bubbles. On long roadtrips, you'll have aerated fuel. That's why there is a straw and restricter at the end of your stock fuel return, so that it dips into the fuel and doesn't allow the fuel to be peed into the tank.

If I were you, I would buy the bronco tank. Or a similar ford tank. it's going to be pressure tested and simple to install.. It already has the fuel nozzle bib, it has the stock fuel pickup/sender assembly with seal mount. It has the strap insets. It's a win-win-win scenario.

Whereas a homemade tank can work, but it'll take a decent amount of design, fab, and testing to verify it is constructed properly. And you'll always have the nagging feeling if it will last. Also, you will have to custom install your own fuel pickup, nozzle, and sender. Sounds like a lot of work. Especially if you have to service it in a few years, like most of these parts require.

Old 11-17-2017, 05:43 AM
Jon143
Junior User
Little mock drawing i did i wouldn't see why this wouldnt work lol im determined to make my own i just want to know what will work because money is tight and stuff

Lol sorry bout my other doodles

Old 11-17-2017, 10:14 AM
PlumCrazy7
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Build the tank. Build a fill hole. Build a custom pick up. Build a custom return. Build a sending unit. Build a harness. Build straps. That'll work

Old 11-17-2017, 11:04 AM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Let's all count our blessings that this isn't being proposed for a gasser....

Old 11-17-2017, 11:51 AM
genscripter
Cargo Master
"I wouldn't see why this wouldn't work."
I know. I will work. I'm not negating your concept. Feel free to make a custom tank. I've done it on my van, but with aluminum. In the end, with the fuel pickup, sender, intank heater, etc, it ended up being a thousand dollar affair, and I still have to put time and energy into maintaining it. Last summer, I took it down after five years, and found two straps broken, the fuel pickup sealant was broken and leaked, and the Centroid Sender isn't sending the right resistance anymore. Overall, I kind of wished I just did a standard Ford tank, so that I wasn't remaking custom tank straps on my summer afternoon or waiting for a custom Centroid replacement in the mail.

But whatever, do the custom steel tank. it's your ride.

Old 11-17-2017, 02:27 PM
Dieselamour
Laughing Gas
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
How about a vent with a valve to close if the truck is turned over.

Old 11-17-2017, 03:07 PM
Olds64
Cargo Master
Received 325 Likes on 280 Posts
I can understand the desire to simplify the fuel system by going to one tank and eliminating the fuel select switch. However, as the others said fabricating your own tank is quite an undertaking. Why go through all the trouble when you can do the 38 gallon tank swap with parts that are readily available? Or, if you really want a new tank just buy an aftermarket one from Summit or Jegs. They only carry about a MILLION of them.

FWIW, you can get the 38 gallon tank from LMC Trucks too.

Truck Parts & Truck Accessories for Chevy, GMC, Ford & Dodge Trucks | LMCTruck.com

Old 11-17-2017, 04:06 PM
Jon143
Junior User
Yea I can doo a flip vent too and my lines inside of tank are going to be steel as well going to put a filter going to make it easy access just in case of maintenance... no rubber everything will be welded water tight and Imma do a pressure test on it since we have one at work ... I guess I could set up a heater by it or in it I could even put a pump in it.... but I like my duralift it does good

Old 11-17-2017, 04:11 PM
Jon143
Junior User
Also I'll make an opening so if I did have to clean the inside I could.... that will be sealed with rubber and make it water and pressure tight too

Old 11-17-2017, 04:42 PM
Jon143
Junior User
Well yea never mind just going to buy one lol no idea how to do float so I bought one

Old 11-17-2017, 09:53 PM
Macrobb
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Jon143
Well yea never mind just going to buy one lol no idea how to do float so I bought one
Not that it matters now, but they sell universal level senders. Might not work with the stock gauge, but you could install a fuel gauge to match. Or come up with a circuit to adapt the sender resistance to the gauge resistance.

Old 11-18-2017, 12:20 AM
genscripter
Cargo Master
If you want to make your life really easy, just buy a Centroid brand fuel sender. Super simple design and easy to install. Plus you can have them program the required Ford resistance so you can adapt it to your stock Ford fuel gauge. CENTROID PRODUCTS

However, like I and Olds86 have said, I highly recommend you just use the Bronco or Ford tanks. I've made my own fuel tanks and it's never just a quick thing and it's never cheaper.

Quick Reply: Leaking tank making a new one