1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Airbag Recall Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 10:23 AM
ranger pat
Cargo Master
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Airbag Recall Discussion

2004 Model. Dealer says no parts available to complete recall. Says to trade in in for a new vehicle and they will resell the Ranger as is in Mexico. I know Takata went bankrupt and a Chinese group took over. Just curious if anyone has gotten the recall taken care of recently.

Old 11-16-2017, 10:57 AM
reddog99
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I just had my 2004 fixed in June. The don't replace the entire airbag, just the initiator. The "no parts" excuse may be temporary.

The "Buy a new vehicle" encouragement sounds like a typical story to drum up new car business.

Edit: I was just rooting around the mess on my desk and I found the bankruptcy notice that I got from TK Holdings. Their instructions are to contact the dealer for a free repair. Maybe you should try another dealer? They also say to visit http://www.AirbagRecall.com or call 1-888-327-4236 for more information.

Hope this helps.

Old 11-16-2017, 06:56 PM
mfp4073
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
just a few months ago I went in to look into it and they had the stuff to fix it (but were too busy that day). I need to go back. Sounds suspicious, I would try another dealer. Besides, they are going to take a "known dangerous truck safety device" and just "sell it in mexico? Thats smells of scam.

Old 11-16-2017, 07:34 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
As a practical matter what assurance does one have when buying a used vehicle that the replacement has been made?

Old 11-16-2017, 09:34 PM
Eddie Money
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tedster9
As a practical matter what assurance does one have when buying a used vehicle that the replacement has been made?
none, bought my 07 this way. It's up to the buyer to check for recalls. Dealers usually send notifications once you buy it. Mines been waiting for parts to be available for over 2 years. No one is responsible if I get maimed or die in the meantime. And after dec 27, we are all out of luck. You can only join the lawsuit if you incurr injury or death before Dec,27 Im not sure we can even buy a replacement. These replacements are supposedly going where they are needed first. Those are wet or damp places as those are more likely to be affected. The rest of us are driving around with hand grenades in front of our faces playing Russian rouette every time we get behind the wheel. But supposedly having a bomb decapitate or maim you is still safer than without. Lol. I don't think it should be legal for a company to discharge its debts in this situation. Everyone should get a free replacement no matter what. The company made millions selling a deadly product and now gets to sell and walk away possibly to start again. I doubt this current administration has any sympathy for us either. Trumps filed bankruptcy numerous times only to start over and do it again. I'm pissed too!!!

Old 11-17-2017, 09:27 PM
78Broncoinpieces
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Eddie Money
none, bought my 07 this way. It's up to the buyer to check for recalls. Dealers usually send notifications once you buy it. Mines been waiting for parts to be available for over 2 years. No one is responsible if I get maimed or die in the meantime. And after dec 27, we are all out of luck. You can only join the lawsuit if you incurr injury or death before Dec,27 Im not sure we can even buy a replacement. These replacements are supposedly going where they are needed first. Those are wet or damp places as those are more likely to be affected. The rest of us are driving around with hand grenades in front of our faces playing Russian rouette every time we get behind the wheel. But supposedly having a bomb decapitate or maim you is still safer than without. Lol. I don't think it should be legal for a company to discharge its debts in this situation. Everyone should get a free replacement no matter what. The company made millions selling a deadly product and now gets to sell and walk away possibly to start again. I doubt this current administration has any sympathy for us either. Trumps filed bankruptcy numerous times only to start over and do it again. I'm pissed too!!!
the company doesn't discharge it's debt.
the FEDERAL JUDGE handling the bankruptcy has sole authority as to the disposition of the assets and debts. debtors and interested parties attend the meetings and present their case for restitution.

Old 11-17-2017, 11:27 PM
Eddie Money
New User
Originally Posted by 78Broncoinpieces
the company doesn't discharge it's debt.
the FEDERAL JUDGE handling the bankruptcy has sole authority as to the disposition of the assets and debts. debtors and interested parties attend the meetings and present their case for restitution.
RIGHT. This is HOW the company gets to discharge its debt. It should not be allowed. Everyone who has a faulty airbag should get them replaced free of charge without having to take time off work to attend hearings. We have jobs and lives. Their assets should be used to accomplish this, not be sold. This is wrong and a crappy way to dodge responsiblity and will prevent thousands of people from getting restitution, making them vulnerable to injury and death simply because they cannot afford to take time off work or alter their life to attend a meeting and present a case. Myself, I have no idea how to present a case nor do I have the time to attend these meetings.

Old 11-19-2017, 04:35 PM
CBB9M
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Took care of both airbag inflators back in August, 2016. In and out in under an hour.

Old 11-19-2017, 06:40 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Can a commercial car dealer sell a vehicle under a safety recall?

Old 01-08-2018, 08:38 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Ok, another slug of 3,300,000 worth of "expanded recalls" has been announced in the airbag debacle. I'll bet it's the driver side bag is now affected? Have never received any notice for anything. Hm.

I did read Ford wanted to study the issue, at one point suggesting they haven't found any defective inflators. If Takata is bankrupt, who pays for the airbag replacement?

Old 01-08-2018, 09:12 PM
cracked block
Mountain Pass
Got my recall notice the other day from ford for my 2011 ranger. It's for the passenger side air bag. Parts will be available in the spring of 2018. As for now, they recommend that no one ride in the passenger seat. What B.S.

Old 01-09-2018, 04:26 PM
reddog99
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Just to throw some more confusion into the subject, I got another recall notice from Ford (note that I've had my recall completed already). There are two things of importance.

1) It says that "A repair is available in January", so maybe they expect more parts to be available?

2) More interesting is a note that says that the "airbag inflators in your vehicle must be replaced "even if they were previously replaced under any other recall."

They also included a phone number to call if the dealer gives you any lip: 1-866-436-7332

Old 01-09-2018, 06:42 PM
fletchb
Freshman User
My honda had the same recall that my 2011 ranger has. They never had the parts and just kept sending me notices to that effect aka don't drive the car.
You'd think they would tell you to take car to dealer to disable bag until parts were around if they really cared (or cared about lawsuits), but they never did.
Not sure if that means they felt the car was safe or if they were just very stupid & arrogant.

My gf had a wreck and luckily it was the driver side curtain bag that went off. Honda never said a word.

I have had 2 noticed from Ford about no parts, I hope they won't be another Honda.

Old 01-11-2018, 03:05 PM
hillcountryflt
Fleet Mechanic
Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts
Received my notice for my 2011 Ranger (which I had purchased mainly to take my elderly mom to appointments) and noted the reference to no passengers should be allowed in the passenger seat. Dealer said no parts until late Spring at the earliest.
I think I will join in any and all class action suits against Ford on this thing. For all practical purposes my Ranger is useless to me. Dealership said they have no way of disabling the airbag. What BS.

Old 01-11-2018, 06:25 PM
Kruse
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by hillcountryflt
Dealership said they have no way of disabling the airbag. What BS.
Well, put yourself in Ford's position. From a liability point of view, THEY CAN'T disable your air bag.
Imagine this: Your Ford dealer disables your air bag and you get injured (or die) because the air bag didn't deploy. Can you imagine the long list of ambulance-chasing lawyers lining up to take that case? No, from the advice of their legal team, their best advice is to tell you not to drive your truck.

Quick Reply: Airbag Recall Discussion