2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

High idle for 2017?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 08:40 PM
Docindahouze
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by troverman
Define "cold." I've had two 2017 diesels and they absolutely and automatically idle higher at cold temps immediately after startup. We had 12F last week for a low, and in the morning the truck was idling around 1000 RPM instead of the usual 6-700. It gradually idles back down. Actual cold temps (below zero) would result in even higher idles.

There is a modification one can make using a resistor, an upfitter switch, and a specific wire in the blunt-cut bundles. I did this on my 2016 diesel. The value of the resistor determines the idle speed when the switch is flipped on. Some people use a rheostat instead of a resistor which allows for variable idle speed. In order for it to actually work, the truck must be in Park with the parking brake set. Once the brake is released, the truck idles down.

As for the purpose of high idle...the primary purpose is to power PTO-driven applications as someone above mentioned. Most people who wire in the mod here are using it for the purpose of preventing wet stacking, lessening the impact of extended idling on the DPF, having hotter heat, or better A/C.

Diesels don't warm up slower because they are burning less fuel. They warm up slower because they have much larger amounts of oil and coolant compared to an equivalent gas engine. The biggest problem a diesel has is that it uses compression ignition...meaning the heat generated by compressing the diesel fuel is what causes it to actually ignite. There is no "spark plug" electrically igniting the mixture. Only heat. That is why glow plugs are used to start an engine when cold. On a typical warm day, you'll barely see the glow plug light come on before it goes out on the dash gauges. But on a very cold morning, you might wait 2, 3, or more seconds before it extinguishes and then you can start the engine. Of course, many people with an ignition key starting system don't wait at all and the engine still starts. But if you have push-button start or if you remote-start the engine, the delay is forced by the computer.

Nevertheless, a certain temp needs to be reached for diesel to ignite under compression. Obviously, low idle speed will produce the least amount of heat while wide-open throttle would produce the most. So...we have an absolute temp that needs be be met in the cylinder for diesel to ignite...and we have an absolute value of heat produced by compression in a cylinder. What changes is the block temp. If the temp is -40F, the truck would have to compensate for a 100-gree difference compared to the same truck operating in 60F temps. The engine fan is also constantly cooling the engine block and coolant. I've operated in cold enough temps (-15F or so) where the engine temp gauge has shown fully warmed up during a highway run, but when stopping and idling for 10 minutes, the gauge would actually register a decreasing engine coolant temp. The 6.7L Powerstroke has a complex cooling system with four thermostats between the two independent cooling systems to try to maintain the best possible temp. The main cooling system, for example, can close the 201F thermostat and still keep the 194F thermostat open. This still allows engine cooling but at a lower volume to prevent over-cooling.

As the engine loses temp in bitter cold conditions while idling at normal low speed, what happens is the diesel does not combust as cleanly and fully. This creates soot (visible black particulate matter) which must be trapped by the DPF...filling it sooner and requiring sooner regenerations. It also eventually leaves a sheen of unburned diesel on the cylinder walls, which is the phenomenon known as wet stacking...which can be harmful to the engine.

Our 6.7L diesels have good computer management will can vary idle at any time and will idle up in cold temps and extended idling. But some choose to install the high idle switch which will, in fact, provide better heat and A/C performance, and less DPF usage.

now that is an exceptional report there fella.

Old 11-18-2017, 06:00 AM
CO Wapiti
Elder User
Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jimvan68
I installed the new switch I have a link for here https://www.dieselpowerproducts.com/...werstroke.aspx

I installed it in about 45 minutes. It worked great. I also had mine working in my 2010 F250 but had to hook up the up fitter switches to make it work. The 2017 can use this product and it is plug and play. Great product and easy to install with directions.
Thank you for this post. Looks like an easy high idle option and it’s just what I need. A long winching job will drain your batteries to zero very quickly as I have done this many times in my 05 Dodge to where the batteries wouldn’t have enough juice left to start the truck if I shut it off soon after getting myself unstuck in a long winching job.
With my Ford’s dual alternators and setting the idle to around 2000 rpm with this accessory, I will probably have enough juice to get a long winching job done without severely discharging the batteries. I’m ordering one now!

Old 12-17-2017, 07:06 PM
jsavelli
Senior User
Originally Posted by AK_SuperDuty
Mine has high idle. I flip my #4 upfitter on, set parking brake, and it idles up to 1400 RPM's.

High idle helps warm it up faster, but more importantly it's much better for the longevity of the EGR system.
I would like this. How to do I find out if mine has this or can I put mod through forscan on to allow upfitter 4 to put in high idle?

Old 12-18-2017, 09:15 AM
eryoung
Tuned
Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts
Just to update,

Went out to start my truck the other day before work to warm him up. It was 6 degrees out. Glow plugs went out after 2 seconds turned it over and truck went into high idle about 1100 rpm. Just very different from my 05

Old 12-18-2017, 11:28 AM
jimvan68
Freshman User
Easy install high idle switch

Originally Posted by jsavelli
I would like this. How to do I find out if mine has this or can I put mod through forscan on to allow upfitter 4 to put in high idle?
The post before your questions has the link to the switch that is plug and play with 2017 Superduty. All you have to do is drill hole for dial and hide the wires.

Here is the link.

https://www.dieselpowerproducts.com/...werstroke.aspx

Old 12-18-2017, 11:36 AM
KubotaOrange76
Its Comin Right for us!
Received 1,433 Likes on 936 Posts
I use the "zip ties and bias plies" warmup method

Old 12-18-2017, 01:50 PM
jsavelli
Senior User
Originally Posted by jimvan68
The post before your questions has the link to the switch that is plug and play with 2017 Superduty. All you have to do is drill hole for dial and hide the wires.

Here is the link.

https://www.dieselpowerproducts.com/...werstroke.aspx
I thought I read that this comes stock with some SD? through upfitter4 w/park brake on

Old 12-18-2017, 02:17 PM
jimvan68
Freshman User
Originally Posted by jsavelli
I thought I read that this comes stock with some SD? through upfitter4 w/park brake on
Not that I am aware of. You have to splice wires together for that connection. It is the PTO and up fitter switch you choose. I did that in my 2010 F250. It was easier for me to use the new kit for 2017 and I like the control for rpm.

Old 12-18-2017, 03:01 PM
KubotaOrange76
Its Comin Right for us!
Received 1,433 Likes on 936 Posts
Old 12-18-2017, 03:05 PM
jimvan68
Freshman User
Originally Posted by KubotaOrange76
Your right its probably cheaper. For the ease of install and looks I payed the $90. A lot cleaner in my opinion.