1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5R110 transmission Cold fluid exchange

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 12:23 PM
Syncrosmash
New User
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CollinsCD
One other thing I noticed is that the video says 3/4" ID tubing. Looking at the filter for my truck, I think you really need 3/4" OD tubing.
It's 3/4" OD
Frank

Old 11-21-2017, 02:52 PM
tracks_II
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CollinsCD
One other thing I noticed is that the video says 3/4" ID tubing. Looking at the filter for my truck, I think you really need 3/4" OD tubing.
In the beginning of the video just before Frank tells us how long the tube needs to be, he says to use a 3/4 inch O.D tube.

The following users liked this post:
Old 12-03-2017, 11:05 PM
The2003Excursion
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How would this be different if done on a 4R100? I need to flush my '03 v10 trans.

Old 12-03-2017, 11:27 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by The2003Excursion
How would this be different if done on a 4R100? I need to flush my '03 v10 trans.
Use the method linked in the Excursion tech folder. It's Mark K's method everyone on the 'net uses.

Stewart

Old 12-03-2017, 11:34 PM
Sam I Am
Posting Guru
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by The2003Excursion
The cooler out line is not thermostatically regulated on a 4R100 so you can simply undo one of the lines near the radiator to drain the fluid with the engine running and pour in fresh fluid through the dipstick tube like normal.

Old 12-04-2017, 05:58 AM
CollinsCD
Hotshot
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by tracks_II
In the beginning of the video just before Frank tells us how long the tube needs to be, he says to use a 3/4 inch O.D tube.
My bad. I went back and played it again and he does says OD tubing. I guess listening to it at work while doing other things didn't help.

Old 12-12-2017, 04:45 PM
tmacc
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Weellll, I was un-successful in duplicating this method with my 6R140. I could probably do it next time, but there were a couple of mitigating factors I ran into this time.
I used a piece of 1'' OD tubing due to the difference in trannys. The o-ring on this tranny is just a typical o-ring, not like the wide o-ring shown on Frank's video. It was 45 degrees, so the tubing was a little stiff and when I temporarily screwed the pan up, the tube just wouldn't stay in. I used 6mm x 1.0 x 60mm bolts FWIW. Next time I'll use a 90* fitting with about a 2'' section of tube going into the intake port and probably more than 3' of tubing overall. Warmer weather or some kind of heated space would probably help as well.
Still, it was good to get a new filter in there and 8 qt's of fresh fluid. We bought the truck with 39,000 miles and I could tell the tranny had never been serviced.
I found the following video to be pretty helpful as well.

Old 12-12-2017, 06:32 PM
KenRebF-250
Tuned
Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts
How does this procedure eliminate the need to heat the fluid?

And, if I should decide to blow out the cooler lines and cooler where does that old fluid go?

What model transmission do I have in our '09 F-250 5.4 and does this procedure need be used to properly change the transmission fluid in our truck?

Old 12-12-2017, 07:19 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
Originally Posted by KenRebF-250
How does this procedure eliminate the need to heat the fluid?
The older methods kept the pan in place. The pump picks up fluid from the pan. When the thermostat is closed the fluid doesn't go to the cooler (OK, 10% does go to the cooler when cold) but is returned to the pan. Instead of flushing with new fluid, you have a mix of old and new.

This procedure moves the pump intake to a fresh container of fluid, while the return that drops into the pan is collected and discarded. It doesn't go back into the transmission. That's the difference.

And, if I should decide to blow out the cooler lines and cooler where does that old fluid go?
It goes into the pan with the rest of the old fluid.

What model transmission do I have in our '09 F-250 5.4 and does this procedure need be used to properly change the transmission fluid in our truck?
You have a 5R110W, and yes, it does.

Old 12-12-2017, 07:40 PM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
The older methods kept the pan in place. The pump picks up fluid from the pan. When the thermostat is closed the fluid doesn't go to the cooler (OK, 10% does go to the cooler when cold) but is returned to the pan. Instead of flushing with new fluid, you have a mix of old and new.

This procedure moves the pump intake to a fresh container of fluid, while the return that drops into the pan is collected and discarded. It doesn't go back into the transmission. That's the difference.
Even with this method, you still have some, not sure of percentage, co-mingling of the old and fresh fluid within the converter. One would need to use 4 quarts or more than the stated capacity to approach total fluid exchange.

As you have stated previously, heated flush is the only method besides a total overhaul to replace almost 100% of the old fluid with fresh new fluid.

FYI, I am not knocking this type of fluid exchange method as we do the best we can when changing the fluid in the AT.

Old 12-12-2017, 09:00 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by Just Strokin
Even with this method, you still have some, not sure of percentage, co-mingling of the old and fresh fluid within the converter.
True. But from testing on other transmissions it's going to be around 5% or so.

One would need to use 4 quarts or more than the stated capacity to approach total fluid exchange.
I'm curious how you arrived at four quarts.

As you have stated previously, heated flush is the only method besides a total overhaul to replace almost 100% of the old fluid with fresh new fluid.
This method will replace at least as much as a heated flush machine.

Old 12-12-2017, 09:21 PM
geekwithoutacause
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Even with this method, you still have some, not sure of percentage, co-mingling of the old and fresh fluid within the converter. One would need to use 4 quarts or more than the stated capacity to approach total fluid exchange.

FYI, I am not knocking this type of fluid exchange method as we do the best we can when changing the fluid in the AT.
I really don't see how a heated flush will flush out more than this method. The flow will be the same in the torque converter; new fluid mixing with old but pushing out both. Both ways (heated or this way) will do the same thing. Explain how it will be 'better' with a heated flush ?

Old 12-13-2017, 04:29 PM
KenRebF-250
Tuned

Okay, you once again cleared it up for me.
It goes into the pan with the rest of the old fluid.

You have a 5R110W, and yes, it does.
Thanks a ton, Mark.

One last question, or two. You mentioned that when I am doing the flush I should run the transmission gear selector through reverse and all forward gears. Should the gear selector be in Park at the very beginning of the flush process and then moved through the forward gears and reverse, or should the trans selector be in the lowest forward gear position and then moved through the gears to reverse? Is there a sequence that works better than another?

Also, at what mileage increments should this flush and refill be done. I tow pretty heavy about 80% of the yearly mileage of the truck. Is every 30,000 sufficient given my driving habits?

Old 12-13-2017, 08:17 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

One last question, or two. You mentioned that when I am doing the flush I should run the transmission gear selector through reverse and all forward gears. Should the gear selector be in Park at the very beginning of the flush process and then moved through the forward gears and reverse, or should the trans selector be in the lowest forward gear position and then moved through the gears to reverse? Is there a sequence that works better than another?
It doesn't matter. Any order is fine.

Also, at what mileage increments should this flush and refill be done. I tow pretty heavy about 80% of the yearly mileage of the truck. Is every 30,000 sufficient given my driving habits?
I think that's sufficient.

Old 12-19-2017, 11:05 AM
KenRebF-250
Tuned
So, one gallon of trans. fluid should be sufficient to fully exchange the old fluid left in the trans. after draining the pan?

Also, is there synthetic trans. fluid that would be advantageous to use in place of the standard Mercon V trans fluid?

The way I use our truck I really want to utilize any and all advantages in regards to fluid quality, etc.

Quick Reply: 5R110 transmission Cold fluid exchange