6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Latest flash

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 10:20 AM
Iaff113
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Latest flash

Hey what’s the latest ford flash. Pros/cons?

Thanks.

Old 11-15-2017, 01:42 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 409 Likes on 271 Posts
I know one thing my truck doesn't do that I wish it would, is the turbo vane sweep. You might want to pm Toreador_Diesel -- he's very knowledgeable on the various flash levels, mixing and matching, etc...

I don't know if the answer is as simple as get the latest flash...

Scott

Old 11-22-2017, 09:06 AM
Orangeoutlaw
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just got it done at ford dealership... tranny revs much higher to switch 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. Acts like good like tow haul tune. Other than that, power feels good. It fixed an issue I was having with the pcm not communicating with the EGR valve. Also fixed my tow haul light on dash. They flashed the PCM, TCM, and FICM. I had the 40hp FICM tune from FICMREPAIR.com, but they o
verwrote it with the reflash. Honestly, runs way better now. Tranny used to be boggy as hell for upshifts and my SCT custom tunes did not like to work with the FICM tune. Feels good as new just stock. Hope that helps.

Old 11-22-2017, 09:32 AM
r2millers
Postmaster

Just to be clear, anyone including outlaw have the version for reference? I know when I had mine done several years ago from the original stock tune, I didn't feel any difference, nor did it affect fuel mileage. Still 19 mpg on the road empty, running at 2,000 rpm's max.

Old 11-22-2017, 12:20 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Orangeoutlaw: I see you are also in NorCal -- which dealer did you take it to and did they charge you (how much)?

I ran my VIN and see there is a recall outstanding for something in the front end, so I think I might take it in for that. My best luck has been with Future Ford in Roseville...

Thanks,
Scott

On Edit: Holy Crap! I called that dealer and they wanted $350 to update all three modules to the latest versions!!! So can Indy shops do this as well, or does it have to be a dealer...?

Old 11-22-2017, 01:02 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Well one thing I confirmed is NOT to take it in to my closest dealer! I figured I'd call around and get estimates. This is the dealer that couldn't diagnose squat while the truck was under warranty (whereas the earlier mentioned dealer ID'd 3 oil leaks within an hour and a half of having the truck, one being the bedplate).

So I call local dealer (Auburn Ford) and you guys will get a kick out of this: I get transferred to a service writer and tell him I want the PCM, TCM and FICM brought up to the latest flash versions. He says: that's about $125, but I don't think we flash anything but the PCM (huh?), tells me there are 2 styles of "fickems" and they have the flash they have (huh?) I tell him I have the late style, but it doesn't sway him. It gets better: he asks why I want the updates, so I tell him about how the turbo vanes got stuck so I want the strategy that does the vane sweep.

He says: I don't want to be a downer here, but it is a waste of money to do the flash, once the vanes stick even just one time, we need to replace the turbo (huh?!!!). I tell him the turbo was cleaned about 6k miles ago and it is running great right now. His reply: yeah, we used to clean the turbos but that too is a waste of time, once they stick it's time for a new one...

Of course I booked an appointment for as soon as possible!

Can't believe my FTE brothers didn't tell me I need a new turbo!!

Wow, that dealer has even gotten worse...

Scott

Old 11-22-2017, 01:20 PM
wedge542
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry scott,forgot to tell you when your ready for a oil change,you realy need to swap motors with fresh oil already in.

Old 11-22-2017, 02:05 PM
ToolmakerRob
Laughing Gas
Received 139 Likes on 87 Posts
Scott-When you change your oil I can pick up your old motor if need be so it won't be lying around in your way.

Rob

Old 11-22-2017, 02:32 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Thanks guys - I really appreciate the help. Had I only known -- I would have saved so dang much money stockpiling all this oil! and filters!

So a couple questions for you helpful gents:
Would a new turbo come "free with an oil change" (you know, like free tire rotation)? Otherwise I'll have to buy the turbo separately, where I could just wait for my next engine swap, 'er, oil change and get both done.

Next question: I went and put on the 6.4 trans pan and filter and changed the oil when I did that. I'm assuming now that was a mistake and I should have just gone to Auburn Ford and asked them for a trans oil change, which the new oil would come in the new trans, and hopefully have the updated pan on it?

Lastly: what option do I need to ask for on my next oil change, to get the spare valve cover bolt in the HPO sump? And will that automatically mean they'll put in partially failed or soon-to-fail lifters? Maybe this last one is a Q for Jack...

Man I am SO glad I am on this site!!! Thank you all!!!

Shoot I almost forgot I was going to put the '08 rear diff cover on... I need to ask the dealer to change the oil in the diff

Old 11-22-2017, 02:37 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Oh and Rob: i'm pretty sure they will need to send the oil to the recyclers, likely in the container it is in... Sorry bud...

Old 11-22-2017, 06:27 PM
Orangeoutlaw
Senior User
Scott, I didn’t ask the version of the flashes. They charged me $330 for two hours to diagnose my egr problem, and that’s it. I asked if they would throw in flash on the truck for $330. Service writer Rob here at Hansel Ford in Santa Rosa hooked me up. And my suspicions were correct in that the Re flash fixed my egr connection problem, thus allowing me to pass smog. Rob said the flash would have been $165. If you’re in the area try Hansel Ford.
On your turbo issue, I’m not sure that this flash has or has not turbo vane movement at idle. If you have a Scanguage, look up codes for VGT, input them, and watch your VGT values move up or down. That will tell you if it’s moving or not. I’ve had a stuck turbo before and the truck was so gutless you could barely drive it. Also sounded like a bogging big block gas motor (no turbo whistle once so ever). And yes, they only replace and don’t clean them now.
I also had my tranny hot flushed at dealer just a couple months ago. They said they don’t remove the pan because if it’s not leaking and has never been removed, don’t mess with it. Otherwise it will leak. - Nate

Old 11-22-2017, 06:50 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Orangeoutlaw
Scott, I didn’t ask the version of the flashes. They charged me $330 for two hours to diagnose my egr problem, and that’s it. I asked if they would throw in flash on the truck for $330. Service writer Rob here at Hansel Ford in Santa Rosa hooked me up. And my suspicions were correct in that the Re flash fixed my egr connection problem, thus allowing me to pass smog. Rob said the flash would have been $165. If you’re in the area try Hansel Ford.
On your turbo issue, I’m not sure that this flash has or has not turbo vane movement at idle. If you have a Scanguage, look up codes for VGT, input them, and watch your VGT values move up or down. That will tell you if it’s moving or not. I’ve had a stuck turbo before and the truck was so gutless you could barely drive it. Also sounded like a bogging big block gas motor (no turbo whistle once so ever). And yes, they only replace and don’t clean them now.
I also had my tranny hot flushed at dealer just a couple months ago. They said they don’t remove the pan because if it’s not leaking and has never been removed, don’t mess with it. Otherwise it will leak. - Nate
Thanks Nate. I have Torque Pro and set up a data capture for VGT % and a few other things (after it unstuck) -- definitely nothing like a vane sweep going on.

Did your paperwork tell you they updated the firmware on all 3 modules? It seemed like the one place knew about updating all 3 and the other was hopelessly clueless. It still seems to me they are just hooking up their computer and punching a couple buttons and then walking away to do more valuable things -- so $350 for that sounded high...

My truck is so low miles there is no way the turbo, or its unison ring, is worn out - I think mine stuck due to carbon build up...

Thanks again,
Scott

Old 12-03-2017, 12:50 AM
Orangeoutlaw
Senior User
Scott, yes the paperwork says they updated the three modules. Good luck - Nate
P.S. maybe check your turbo vgt solenoid?

Old 12-03-2017, 07:14 AM
Iaff113
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Orangeoutlaw
Scott, yes the paperwork says they updated the three modules. Good luck - Nate
P.S. maybe check your turbo vgt solenoid?
Are you running any kind of tuner or gauges that you can show you the flash you have? I believe my SCT will tell me in vehicle info

Old 12-03-2017, 02:33 PM
Orangeoutlaw
Senior User
I have an sct2 but keeping it stock for now. If I hook it up and it tells me I’ll let you know what I find

Quick Reply: Latest flash