GPS Setup for low bridges and tight turns - Page 3 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Towing Forum > Fifth Wheel & Gooseneck RV Towing
Reload this Page >

GPS Setup for low bridges and tight turns

Notices

GPS Setup for low bridges and tight turns

Old 01-15-2018, 06:38 AM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Chuck's First Ford has a very good reputation on FTE.Chuck's First Ford has a very good reputation on FTE.Chuck's First Ford has a very good reputation on FTE.
at the end of the day..

the operator, pilot... "insert name here"
is responsible for direction and safe passage ... of a vehicle, truck, ship, airplane, spacecraft.
everything else is just and "aid" for operator...

I find my Garmin 770 "trucker" is a good "Aid"...

Old 01-15-2018, 09:24 AM
brandon_oma#692
Posting Guru
brandon_oma#692 has a great reputation on FTE.brandon_oma#692 has a great reputation on FTE.brandon_oma#692 has a great reputation on FTE.brandon_oma#692 has a great reputation on FTE.brandon_oma#692 has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Chuck's First Ford View Post
at the end of the day..

the operator, pilot... "insert name here"
is responsible for direction and safe passage ... of a vehicle, truck, ship, airplane, spacecraft.
everything else is just and "aid" for operator...

I find my Garmin 770 "trucker" is a good "Aid"...
I agree 100% I hate riding with someone blindly following the gps..... I would like to get a stand alone gps for my trip this year as my phone is useless if it does not have good signal to download the maps as needed. Plus I kinda feel it is all my eggs in 1 basket type of thing. I would like a newer gps, paper maps, and my phone.

If I'm buying a gps I would rather have the additional "rv" or "truck" features than a basic car one.

Old 01-15-2018, 09:32 AM
HRTKD
Postmaster
HRTKD has much to be proud ofHRTKD has much to be proud ofHRTKD has much to be proud ofHRTKD has much to be proud ofHRTKD has much to be proud ofHRTKD has much to be proud ofHRTKD has much to be proud ofHRTKD has much to be proud ofHRTKD has much to be proud ofHRTKD has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by brandon_oma#692 View Post
I agree 100% I hate riding with someone blindly following the gps..... I would like to get a stand alone gps for my trip this year as my phone is useless if it does not have good signal to download the maps as needed. Plus I kinda feel it is all my eggs in 1 basket type of thing. I would like a newer gps, paper maps, and my phone.

If I'm buying a gps I would rather have the additional "rv" or "truck" features than a basic car one.
I hear what you're saying. For what it's worth, Google maps can be pre-downloaded to your phone and they stick around for quite a while. Months, not just days. That has come in handy. But, Google maps doesn't have the RV friendly features we're looking for.

Old 01-15-2018, 09:57 AM
brandon_oma#692
Posting Guru
brandon_oma#692 has a great reputation on FTE.brandon_oma#692 has a great reputation on FTE.brandon_oma#692 has a great reputation on FTE.brandon_oma#692 has a great reputation on FTE.brandon_oma#692 has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by HRTKD View Post
I hear what you're saying. For what it's worth, Google maps can be pre-downloaded to your phone and they stick around for quite a while. Months, not just days. That has come in handy. But, Google maps doesn't have the RV friendly features we're looking for.
It did that for my local area. I did not think I could do that for half of the country. If I can that might be good enough.

Old 01-15-2018, 11:14 AM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Chuck's First Ford has a very good reputation on FTE.Chuck's First Ford has a very good reputation on FTE.Chuck's First Ford has a very good reputation on FTE.
I have the Garmin dezl 770 "trucker" I like it better then the RV version.. I downloaded the "RV" files from POI factory.. so I have the RV stuff in my trucker version.

Old 01-15-2018, 11:55 PM
First Dually
Senior User
First Dually is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.First Dually is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I have the Garmin dezl 770 "trucker" I like it better then the RV version.. I downloaded the "RV" files from POI factory.. so I have the RV stuff in my trucker version.
What do you like better about the truck version?

Old 01-16-2018, 10:03 AM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Originally Posted by First Dually View Post
What do you like better about the truck version?
able to change routes.. with your finger... during a planned trip..
just drag the highlighted route to other road wanted..

speed limit change alarm
steep hill warning
steep turn warning.
stronger case. better mount.
no cord to plug in... after first install.
Truck repair shops..

Old 01-16-2018, 02:16 PM
First Dually
Senior User
First Dually is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.First Dually is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.

speed limit change alarm
steep hill warning
steep turn warning.
Truck repair shops..
Thank you! It looks like I have more research to do before buying the (another) GPS.

Old 03-06-2018, 04:59 PM
brandon_oma#692
Posting Guru

speed limit change alarm
steep hill warning
steep turn warning.
Truck repair shops..
have you tried the Garmin wireless camera with this? Thinking about getting 2. 1 for rear of camper and 1 for headache rack on truck. My inside rear view mirror is unless with the job box on the flatbed.

Old 03-08-2018, 08:13 PM
7591250sd
Junior User
7591250sd is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have the Rand McNally Carriers Atlas & Smartphone APP "Allstays" - both show this area as low clearance.. I prefer a printed map and plan route ahead of time.. Yes GPS and electronic devices can be great, but when batteries are dead - than what? I learned to navigate 30 years ago with a good compass & map. Saw a recent article on how the Navy is training sailors to use a sextant, when all else fails..

Old 03-17-2018, 09:37 PM
klbrown
Senior User
klbrown is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
According to the "Rules of the Road for safe Navigation at Sea", the prudent mariner will not rely
soley on any one method of navigation. I think that would aptly apply to anyone traveling, by any
means. A GPS is a good tool, but should not to be relied upon to get you safely to your destination.

A review I read mentioned that most GPSs used the same map data, so your choice of manufacturers
is of a personal preference for usability. For instance, I don't like the user interface of brand XXX, but
do like brand YYY. They all pretty much have the same mapping problems. YMMV.

Old 03-19-2018, 03:28 PM
Raven17
Junior User
Raven17 is starting off with a positive reputation.
GPS

I'm looking to purchase a GPS for bridge height. In reading this threat most say the Garmin RV770LMT is the best. I am looking at one of this model from Camping World and the add states it needs a smart phone hot spot. Does this mean it doesn't receive a signal from the satellites. Only from a smart phone..I'm sure I can get a better price than CW. Just looking for info. Thanks

Old 03-19-2018, 03:55 PM
HRTKD
Postmaster
HRTKD has much to be proud ofHRTKD has much to be proud ofHRTKD has much to be proud ofHRTKD has much to be proud ofHRTKD has much to be proud ofHRTKD has much to be proud ofHRTKD has much to be proud ofHRTKD has much to be proud ofHRTKD has much to be proud ofHRTKD has much to be proud of
The 770 LMT-S updates maps over WiFi according to the Garmin web site. It sounds like the 660 LMT needs a smartphone to do map updates but it can get traffic updates from satellites.
RV 770 LMT-S
RV 660LMT