GPS Setup for low bridges and tight turns - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

GPS Setup for low bridges and tight turns

Old 11-16-2017, 05:01 PM
FTE MD Chapter Ldr

BPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputation
I also have the RV760. Amazing how many times it red lighted me after I forget to switch it over to AUTO instead of TRUCK. Boy, that thing sets all kinds of alarms !
Old 11-16-2017, 07:29 PM

senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
I have a rand McNally rv gps. Low bridges, propane restrictions speed and curve warning and more.
Old 11-16-2017, 07:43 PM
Postmaster

HRTKD is a splendid one to beholdHRTKD is a splendid one to beholdHRTKD is a splendid one to beholdHRTKD is a splendid one to beholdHRTKD is a splendid one to beholdHRTKD is a splendid one to beholdHRTKD is a splendid one to beholdHRTKD is a splendid one to behold
Another option: https://copilotgps.com/en-us/rv-navigation/

It sure would be nice if there was a way to add this type of functionality to the on-board Ford Navigation or to Google Maps.
Old 11-17-2017, 02:11 PM
Elder User

SkiSmuggs has a good reputation on FTE.SkiSmuggs has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRTKD View Post
Another option: https://copilotgps.com/en-us/rv-navigation/

It sure would be nice if there was a way to add this type of functionality to the on-board Ford Navigation or to Google Maps.
CoPilot is pretty expensive when it is only rated 3.2 out of 5 for the Android app.
Old 11-17-2017, 02:39 PM
Postmaster

HRTKD is a splendid one to beholdHRTKD is a splendid one to beholdHRTKD is a splendid one to beholdHRTKD is a splendid one to beholdHRTKD is a splendid one to beholdHRTKD is a splendid one to beholdHRTKD is a splendid one to beholdHRTKD is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs View Post
CoPilot is pretty expensive when it is only rated 3.2 out of 5 for the Android app.
No doubt. I would have to look at that product rather carefully before buying it. I believe they do have a 7 day trial period.

While I would rather not have an assortment of devices on my dashboard I am reminded of how to get the best sound out of your stereo: buy individual components, not an all-in-one. An RV GPS app on your phone means that it may not be available if you wanted to run something like Forscan Lite.

The dedicated Garmin RV units are far more expensive than I thought they would be. It would be cool if I could get the RV functionality on my Garmin Rino unit.
Old 11-23-2017, 10:38 AM
Post Fiend

FuzzFace2 has a very good reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a very good reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a very good reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by senix View Post
I have a rand McNally rv gps. Low bridges, propane restrictions speed and curve warning and more.
I use the Rand McNally truckers GPS for my job driving trailer trucks one of them 11,600 gal LP trailers.

Some of the places I have to go are on some small back roads to get to farms and such. The only thing it does not tell you is how sharp a turn is like if in town making right hand turns at lights, sometimes not a fun time.

The GPS is just 1 TOOL I use if going some place new.
I also look it up using Google Maps to get a clue where I am going and what I may be up against. But remember this is FOR A CAR!
It helps to do satellite view of the stop to see what drive way to go into to reach where I need to off load at.
I also have a Rand McNally truckers road atlas when I see something does not look right like a road closed and no signs showing the way around.

Again they are ALL TOOLS and the best one is on top of your shoulders and should be used first.
Dave ----
Old 11-26-2017, 04:20 PM
Junior User

slapshot12 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have the Garmin RV 760. You can select between RV and Auto modes. For RV mode, you put in the dimensions of your trailer and it'll find you a good route. It has kept me away from short bridges.
Old 11-27-2017, 08:07 PM
Senior User

USSenator is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I had a case this weekend that made me think. I was using my truck, and left my fifth wheel behind.

There was lots of traffic on I-24, so Google maps took me through some back roads and through a town. The Garmin 770 was constantly telling me to turn around, so I turned the volume off.

Low and behold, I came to a 9' 6" bridge. The Wilcox Blvd tunnel in East Ridge, TN.

There is a bridge height warning sign, as I see now with Google Maps, but I did not see the sign in the dark last night. I would have stopped in time, but would have had to back up in traffic...

Be careful if Google Maps recommends a shortcut, and your RV GPS doesn't know about it. It may be the RV GPS doesn't want you to take it.
Old 01-12-2018, 06:08 PM
Junior User

Captain 'Murica is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Captain 'Murica is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Man this brings back memories....In 2013 I was pulling my 35ft TT to a campground at Mt. Rushmore. I followed the GPS and it took me on Iron Mountain Road. Unfortunately, I did not see any signs warning large vehicles and trailers to stay off the road until after I was on it. Since it was a two lane road with trees on both sides I didn't see a way to turn around and powered through (I figured I would be ok, but should have turned around). I went slow and made it safely without incident, but it sure was a white knuckle ride. I still use GPS, but when going to an area that I do not know much about I now use the Good Sams website to check for issues such as this.

Since we were moving across the country to WA, my wife was following and took this picture from behind.

Side-note for anybody going there...There is a cool campground just on the other side of the National Forest that has live wolves.
Attached Images

Old 01-12-2018, 06:19 PM
Freshman User

Brock Samson is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Brock Samson is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain 'Murica View Post
Man this brings back memories....In 2013 I was pulling my 35ft TT to a campground at Mt. Rushmore. I followed the GPS and it took me on Iron Mountain Road. Unfortunately, I did not see any signs warning large vehicles and trailers to stay off the road until after I was on it. Since it was a two lane road with trees on both sides I didn't see a way to turn around and powered through (I figured I would be ok, but should have turned around). I went slow and made it safely without incident, but it sure was a white knuckle ride. I still use GPS, but when going to an area that I do not know much about I now use the Good Sams website to check for issues such as this.

Since we were moving across the country to WA, my wife was following and took this picture from behind.

Side-note for anybody going there...There is a cool campground just on the other side of the National Forest that has live wolves.
Awe I was gonna go for the dead wolves...

Damn that's a squeeze... Way to jam it in there I'm sure the wife was proud lol... Ok enough of that..

Is there a "Good Sam" app... That would be helpful.
Old 01-12-2018, 06:42 PM
Junior User

Captain 'Murica is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Captain 'Murica is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock Samson View Post
Awe I was gonna go for the dead wolves...

Damn that's a squeeze... Way to jam it in there I'm sure the wife was proud lol... Ok enough of that..

Is there a "Good Sam" app... That would be helpful.
Well played....With respect to the app, I am not sure. A few years ago when I checked, the app was just for finding campgrounds and didn't have the route planning capability. I have just been using the website to do a quick recon and make sure that I will not run into any low bridges. If I see any twisty roads I usually do a quick Google of it to see if anybody has had any issues navigating it with large trailers. Since I started that, I haven't run into any major issues.
Old 01-13-2018, 11:53 AM
Elder User

Slowpoke Slim has a very good reputation on FTE.Slowpoke Slim has a very good reputation on FTE.Slowpoke Slim has a very good reputation on FTE.Slowpoke Slim has a very good reputation on FTE.
App for Android phones (don't know if it's on Iphones, I don't have one of those), "RV Parks & Campgrounds" also does route planning like Google Maps. Free app. I know it will list height/length restrictions, and if you run a route through Mt. Rushmore area, it will put up a ton of warning messages about that Iron Mountain route.

We went through there 2 summers ago. Even in the pickup truck, a couple of those tunnels were a tight squeeze. I "kissed" the side wall of one with my tow mirror, since I left them extended out from the tow down. Stopped at next pull out and pushed both side mirrors in (it didn't break anything or even crack the side marker, just kissed it hard enough to hear the "click" as we went by the rock).

I know there are signs at both ends of the road, and even warnings before the turn offs onto Iron Mountain. But I guess they get knocked down rather frequently...

When we went through 2 summers ago, all the signs were up and in place. Would have been hard to miss them.

Lol.
Old 01-13-2018, 05:39 PM
Junior User

slapshot12 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have a Garmin RV 760 LMT. You can make a profile with the dimensions of your rig. You can switch between auto and RV modes and it also has traffic warnings. I'm very happy with it. I use the Garmin even though my truck has built in nav. If you get a garmin, make sure to get a LMT, or free lifetime map upgrades.
Old 01-14-2018, 08:17 PM
New User

slufoot733 is starting off with a positive reputation.
The best GPS in the world would not have prevented this. Driver error all the way.
Old Yesterday, 07:15 AM

senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
My Rand McNally will program for low bridges, truck routes and restrictions for propane and length as well.

But...still need a little common sense on your driving and what seems or does not seem right.