Sponsored by:

Central Junction Box (fuse panel)

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 02:00 PM
DSMTJ
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Central Junction Box (fuse panel)

Long time lurker... First post. I'm beyond frustrated and hoping someone has some experience or insight they can offer.

'04 Ex, V-10, 4wd, limited, 137,xxx ----- Issue began over a year ago. Started with randomly dying once every couple months, restarted immediately. Since then issue has continued to get more frequent and takes longer to restart. Had stored code for low fuel pump circuit voltage. Tech has had it for a week today; has not died for him once. After researching he pulled the fuse panel in the dash and inspected. Found one small burn mark on one of the soldered-in relays. I did some further research and found what appears to be a somewhat common issue with expeditions and excursions with the fuel pump relay.

Problem I've now discovered is that there is ZERO replacement fuse panels available. Nothing through Ford, no aftermarket mfgs I have located. Cannot even find a used one!

Appears I am reduced to desoldering the relay in question and replacing.

Has anyone else had this issue of being unable to locate a replacement fuse panel? Is there anyone out there repairing these? This seems to be a huge problem. 12-15 year old vehicles in good condition and no parts available to repair them!

Old 12-09-2016, 04:15 PM
afmedic
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you're able, desoldering and replacing just the relay is the cheapest route

Old 12-09-2016, 07:17 PM
william_04_x
Lead Driver

Received 146 Likes on 88 Posts
There are people that will repair them, at reasonable price points. The CJB will typically have to be torn down to bare board for the repair, to reduce their labor time.

By the time you get that far in, you may be able to re-flow the solder yourself, depending on your skills.

Old 12-12-2016, 11:46 PM
R&T Babich
Fleet Mechanic
Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by DSMTJ
.... Appears I am reduced to desoldering the relay in question and replacing. ...
I modified ours to use the OEM relay to trigger a new external relay to run the fuel pump so I have not seen the actual board. I did this based on the reports of others having problems like this and will be doing our Expedition next.
I suggest since your relay is probably burned to look into a different approach similar to one I used on a washing machine. After locating the burned relay it can be desoldered from the board. If there is room to feed a few wires into the area essentially solder wires into the original relay mounting holes and make an extension harness to externally mount a new relay. You can use a 40A rated relay mounted where it is more accessible. The OEM relay is rated for 20A and the fuel pump motor, I think, is drawing 15A.
Another approach would be to determine which solder point on the board is the trigger for the OEM relay and extend only that line which could be used to trigger a new external relay. A new feed from the battery would be needed. This would reduce the current on the board going thru the OEM relay trigger circuit from 15A down to .2A. The new external relay would use 15A from the new battery feed to run the fuel pump.

Old 12-13-2016, 01:07 AM
agsmv1
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got one off of ebay....then proceeded to throw mine in the trash...when it was a bent pin on the PCM connector causing the problem and not the CJB.

Old 12-16-2016, 12:10 PM
stexag91
New User
Having the same issue but my 2004 Ford Excursion finally would not start. The Excursion is at the mechanic shop right now. He has determined it is the fuel pump regulator (built into the fuse panel). I have been searching the country for a used fuse panel myself. Still have not found one. Can anyone verify this part #? The dealer says it is the one I need. Part #3C7Z-14A068-DB.

Old 12-16-2016, 12:37 PM
seijirou
Cargo Master
Received 391 Likes on 240 Posts
Originally Posted by stexag91
Having the same issue but my 2004 Ford Excursion finally would not start. The Excursion is at the mechanic shop right now. He has determined it is the fuel pump regulator (built into the fuse panel). I have been searching the country for a used fuse panel myself. Still have not found one. Can anyone verify this part #? The dealer says it is the one I need. Part #3C7Z-14A068-DB.
There is a fuel pump relay incorporated in the fuse panel, but the wires that the relay is connected to all come in to the panel externally. It's a simple matter of disconnecting those wires from the panel and connecting them to a new external relay.

If your mechanic can't do that, find a new mechanic.

The following users liked this post:
Old 12-16-2016, 01:27 PM
stexag91
New User
Has anyone on here on this site ever put together a tutorial or have pictures how its done?

Old 12-16-2016, 01:44 PM
R&T Babich
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by seijirou
There is a fuel pump relay incorporated in the fuse panel, but the wires that the relay is connected to all come in to the panel externally. It's a simple matter of disconnecting those wires from the panel and connecting them to a new external relay....
For 2002 and up:
The power for the fuel pump relay trigger comes from the PCM power relay in the fuse panel - no external line.
The "Hot at all times" power going thru the fuel pump relay comes from the 20A fuse in the fuse panel - no external line.

Old 12-16-2016, 02:16 PM
DSMTJ
New User
Mine is a 2004 V-10, 4wd, Limited - my part #3c7t-14A067-DB

I got lucky and happened to come across one on ebay.

I am confident that the relay on the board can be replaced. It won't exactly be pretty but it will work. I just chose a replacement rather than hacking up the one I already have.

Old 12-16-2016, 02:18 PM
DSMTJ
New User
Originally Posted by R&T Babich
For 2002 and up:
The power for the fuel pump relay trigger comes from the PCM power relay in the fuse panel - no external line.
The "Hot at all times" power going thru the fuel pump relay comes from the 20A fuse in the fuse panel - no external line.
This is correct - it is not as simple as some seem to suggest.

Old 12-16-2016, 02:23 PM
DSMTJ
New User
Has anyone on here on this site ever put together a tutorial or have pictures how its done?
Still planning to repair my bad one even though I have a replacement fuse panel on the way. Will take some photos.

Old 12-16-2016, 02:49 PM
R&T Babich
Fleet Mechanic
The simplest approach I would use if my OEM relay was burnt would be to remove the OEM relay and solder in a 4 wire cable (14g) to make an extension harness.
Replacing the panel with a used panel is just putting another old used relay in there.
I don't know for sure if a cable will fit thru there since I haven't taken one apart.
Most of the work would be taking out the fuse panel and putting it back in.
The 4 wires would be easier to solder back in than a new relay.
The advantages would be the relay would be external, easily replaced and could be a 40A rated relay.

I have a circuit diagram for converting a 2002 to use the OEM relay to trigger a new relay, but it is ambitious.
There are 2 new switches that allow 3 modes: use the old circuit, trigger a new relay with the OEM relay and direct to battery for testing.
I had added a digital voltmeter so there is a 3rd switch to monitor the fuel pump voltage supply.

Old 12-16-2016, 04:23 PM
stexag91
New User
I am going to still try to find one online or junk yard first instead of trying the external one.

DSMTJ - You must have bought the one I was just looking at and missed on Ebay.

I did find out, based on what the Ford dealer parts guy told me, that there is the dealer part number (3C7Z-14A068-DB) but what you find on the actual part is the Engineering number (3C7T-14A067-DC). He told me that the Engineering number is what the junk yards and Ebay sellers use. Still trying to decifer the part numbers. What was the number on your part? Do you know what the diesel part number is so I don't get the wrong one?

Old 12-17-2016, 09:56 AM
seijirou
Cargo Master
Received 391 Likes on 240 Posts
Originally Posted by R&T Babich
For 2002 and up:
You're being too literal, think about it.

Ignition switch power is available outside the fuse panel.
Battery power is available outside the fuse panel.
The CPU ground trigger for the relay is available outside the fuse panel.
The downstream power wire for the fuel pump is available outside the fuse panel.

Quick Reply: Central Junction Box (fuse panel)