internet access anywhere while camping? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

internet access anywhere while camping?

Old 11-14-2017, 08:35 PM
Senior User

DeeDubz is starting off with a positive reputation.
internet access anywhere while camping?

Anyone using something other than a mobile hot spot. Don't really wanna spend 60 bucks a month. I got rid of my directv just looking for something to get me enough speed to dl movies on hulu. Just trying to get ideas from other people.
Old 11-15-2017, 09:38 AM
Posting Guru

thomabb is a name known to allthomabb is a name known to allthomabb is a name known to allthomabb is a name known to allthomabb is a name known to allthomabb is a name known to all
Do you have an Android phone? Investigate PdaNet. For a one-time $15, you can share your phone's internet access with your computer. There is software to install on your phone and the device you are going to share to. I think the $15 is for the phone software and the computer software is free, or vice versa. I don't recall exactly as I have been using this app several years now. I use it for work when I am travelling if my customer will not let me use their network. I also use it at the hotel, as hotel wifi isn't very secure.
Old 11-15-2017, 02:34 PM
Senior User

DeeDubz is starting off with a positive reputation.
hows the speed?
Old 11-15-2017, 02:55 PM
Posting Guru

thomabb is a name known to allthomabb is a name known to allthomabb is a name known to allthomabb is a name known to allthomabb is a name known to allthomabb is a name known to all
I have streamed videos with it. If you have 4G data speed on your phone the app should keep up.
Old 11-15-2017, 02:56 PM
Posting Guru

They used to offer a free trial period for evaluation. That's how I picked it.
Old 11-15-2017, 03:07 PM
Postmaster

HRTKD is a splendid one to beholdHRTKD is a splendid one to beholdHRTKD is a splendid one to beholdHRTKD is a splendid one to beholdHRTKD is a splendid one to beholdHRTKD is a splendid one to beholdHRTKD is a splendid one to behold
The speed when using your phone as a hotspot depends on how strong the signal is between your phone and the cell tower. A strong signal will work very well. A weak signal will result in a lot of lag.

I was camping a good 30 miles from the closest small town recently. My phone switched between a 3g and 4g LTE signal, but only 1 or 2 bars. I was able to get to email and a few news web sites, but there is no way I would have watched anything on YouTube.

There is hardware you can buy to boost the cell signal. I don't have that.