2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Fox 2.0 Performance shocks...Again

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 03:41 PM
Wirelineman79
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fox 2.0 Performance shocks...Again

Ok I know there have been quite a few threads on this topic but I haven't see any lately except a comparison between the fox shocks and the rancho 9000. I'm wondering if after having your fox shocks on for a few months now (some getting close to a year) are they still worth it? I'm looking into getting some very soon but I just want to make 100% sure that I'm going with.

Old 11-13-2017, 04:00 PM
TheLex
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the same question. I'e read that the Fox are more of an off road shock and therefore somewhat softer while the 9000's are better for towing due to their adjustability.

Old 11-13-2017, 06:51 PM
oklarado
Posting Guru
I have no problems with mine, from a seat of the pants feel I can tell zero difference over the stock non fx4 shocks. I put them on because I lifted the front and thought they would be nicer, if I did it over I would have kept stock until they wore out.

Old 11-13-2017, 07:07 PM
Bigdflyer
Freshman User
I installed Fox 2.0’s myself a month ago on my 2017 f250 with 2 inch level. I personally think the ride is much improved over stock with the level and 35’s on it. Very satisfied here!

Old 11-13-2017, 07:33 PM
347Flatty
Senior User
Originally Posted by oklarado
I have no problems with mine, from a seat of the pants feel I can tell zero difference over the stock non fx4 shocks. I put them on because I lifted the front and thought they would be nicer, if I did it over I would have kept stock until they wore out.
​​​​​​​I feel the same. I read all the reviews before purchasing and hoped that I would see considerable improvement over the stock non-fx4 shocks in ride quality. Honestly, there's almost no noticeable difference and I find myself searching for something that improved with the swap. FWIW I haven't been off road much since the changeover and I used the BDS Fox 2.0 shocks...just my .02 cents

Old 11-13-2017, 07:40 PM
mothnuts
Senior User
I’m satisfied with my Fox 2.0’s. I have about 15,000 miles on mine. On a smooth asphalt highway there may not be much difference, but I thought it helped a lot with expansion joints on concrete highways. It also helped on brick streets, and on country roads. Tire pressure still makes the biggest difference.

Old 11-13-2017, 07:57 PM
TheLex
Elder User
I just took a drive in the Sierra Foothills through a bunch of country roads - not that easy with a big dually as some of these roads are really narrow. There were a bunch of roads with bad ripply pavement. Lots of tight twisty turns. Through it all the truck handled the turns with aplomb for such a big beast. The ride was jiggly but not that bad. The worst of it was the jiggles caused some part of the rear seats to vibrate. I need to check the headrests back there because it sounded like one of them was loose.

Overall though the ride was fine. I took the freeway on the way back and while the freeway is pretty smooth, I really didn't feel or hear the expansion joints much. Perhaps it's because the unladen weight of this thing with a tank of fuel is 9280 lbs. The high weight likely helps to dampen the ride.

I'm probably just going to leave the FX4 Rancho's in place for now.

Old 11-13-2017, 08:01 PM
mothnuts
Senior User
Originally Posted by TheLex
I just took a drive in the Sierra Foothills through a bunch of country roads - not that easy with a big dually as some of these roads are really narrow. There were a bunch of roads with bad ripply pavement. Lots of tight twisty turns. Through it all the truck handled the turns with aplomb for such a big beast. The ride was jiggly but not that bad. The worst of it was the jiggles caused some part of the rear seats to vibrate. I need to check the headrests back there because it sounded like one of them was loose.

Overall though the ride was fine. I took the freeway on the way back and while the freeway is pretty smooth, I really didn't feel or hear the expansion joints much. Perhaps it's because the unladen weight of this thing with a tank of fuel is 9280 lbs. The high weight likely helps to dampen the ride.

I'm probably just going to leave the FX4 Rancho's in place for now.
No doubt the weight helps. A couple hundred pounds in the bed makes a big difference on how it rides.

Old 11-14-2017, 08:50 AM
Wirelineman79
Junior User
Thank y'all for your replys. This is exactly the feedback I was looking to get. I drive mostly on the highway but I work in the oilfield and drive on lease roads quite a bit to. I'm still not convinced that new shocks will make enough of a difference to justify spending $500. Unless someone can convince me otherwise I don't think I'm going to upgrade anytime soon.

Old 11-14-2017, 09:07 AM
mothnuts
Senior User
Originally Posted by Wirelineman79
Thank y'all for your replys. This is exactly the feedback I was looking to get. I drive mostly on the highway but I work in the oilfield and drive on lease roads quite a bit to. I'm still not convinced that new shocks will make enough of a difference to justify spending $500. Unless someone can convince me otherwise I don't think I'm going to upgrade anytime soon.
If I traded pickups today, it would not leave the lot without having the shocks replaced. It made that much difference for me. If you compared a factory shock that you removed to a new Fox shock (or any preferred brand) it explains a lot. You can easily push the factory shock in with one hand and it takes several seconds for it to bounce back. The other shocks you can barely compress and bounce back immediately.

Old 11-14-2017, 09:28 AM
Redrockerstl55
Fleet Mechanic
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
I got my Rancho RS9000XL's installed last Monday. I've driven the truck about 1,500miles since then and have been able to play with the settings to find the spot I like the most for daily driving and not towing or loaded down.

First what have I noticed? The truck rides MUCH better than the FX4 shocks that came on the truck. We all know this would happen though. The difference to me, although not easy to describe, was 100% worth the money.

The ride is much smoother. Its probably the single word I would use to describe the difference. Small expansion joins and smaller cracks in the road are almost imperceptible. Medium sized issues in the road have had the edge completely taken off of them. Where before there was some harshness to even medium sized pot holes or bumps they are not completely absorbed but way less harsh. You still feel them but it's not as jarring.

On large pot holes or major issues with the road like speed bumps, etc you still have the harshness taken out of them.

It's almost like the first 40% of travel of the shock is much more forgiving than stock. Much more sophisticated ride is another way I would describe it. After the first 40% the shock will firm up considerably and perform extremely well to keep the truck off the bump stops although a big enough hit and there is only so much a shock can do.

I am running my front tires at 60 and rears at 65 just like the door jam says. Then I set the front shocks at 5 and the rears at 3.

When I go tow, which we will be doing in 1 week, I will leave the front at a 5 but move the rear shocks up to a 7 and see how she does. I will also pump up the tires to 80 lbs all around.

Very impressed so far. The quality of the shocks on delivery was pretty impressive. Then when I was handed the plastic pieces of crap that came off the truck I was almost in shock by how cheap the OEM's are.

I considered going Fox 2.0 but I really wanted the flexibility of being able to adjust the shocks and didn't want to spend the huge extra coin on the Fox's to achieve this.

Hope this feedback can help someone if they are on the fence.

I am obviously very happy with how these came out and how they have made the Super Duty feel a bit less harsh while using the sophistication of the ride quite a bit.

Old 11-14-2017, 10:21 AM
Wirelineman79
Junior User
Originally Posted by Redrockerstl55
I got my Rancho RS9000XL's installed last Monday. I've driven the truck about 1,500miles since then and have been able to play with the settings to find the spot I like the most for daily driving and not towing or loaded down.

First what have I noticed? The truck rides MUCH better than the FX4 shocks that came on the truck. We all know this would happen though. The difference to me, although not easy to describe, was 100% worth the money.

The ride is much smoother. Its probably the single word I would use to describe the difference. Small expansion joins and smaller cracks in the road are almost imperceptible. Medium sized issues in the road have had the edge completely taken off of them. Where before there was some harshness to even medium sized pot holes or bumps they are not completely absorbed but way less harsh. You still feel them but it's not as jarring.

On large pot holes or major issues with the road like speed bumps, etc you still have the harshness taken out of them.

It's almost like the first 40% of travel of the shock is much more forgiving than stock. Much more sophisticated ride is another way I would describe it. After the first 40% the shock will firm up considerably and perform extremely well to keep the truck off the bump stops although a big enough hit and there is only so much a shock can do.

I am running my front tires at 60 and rears at 65 just like the door jam says. Then I set the front shocks at 5 and the rears at 3.

When I go tow, which we will be doing in 1 week, I will leave the front at a 5 but move the rear shocks up to a 7 and see how she does. I will also pump up the tires to 80 lbs all around.

Very impressed so far. The quality of the shocks on delivery was pretty impressive. Then when I was handed the plastic pieces of crap that came off the truck I was almost in shock by how cheap the OEM's are.

I considered going Fox 2.0 but I really wanted the flexibility of being able to adjust the shocks and didn't want to spend the huge extra coin on the Fox's to achieve this.

Hope this feedback can help someone if they are on the fence.

I am obviously very happy with how these came out and how they have made the Super Duty feel a bit less harsh while using the sophistication of the ride quite a bit.

I have been considering the 9000's also. After reading through the the thread on them about a week ago I was concerned about the longevity of them though. Now I might reconsider.

Old 11-15-2017, 06:27 PM
TreverAdamo
Cross-Country
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Wirelineman79
Ok I know there have been quite a few threads on this topic but I haven't see any lately except a comparison between the fox shocks and the rancho 9000. I'm wondering if after having your fox shocks on for a few months now (some getting close to a year) are they still worth it? I'm looking into getting some very soon but I just want to make 100% sure that I'm going with.

I has the 2.0 on my 2014 Plat 250 and loved them. When I sold it to a friend I got them back as they lifted the truck they have a shop. I know have the 2.0 on my 17 fx4 250 and just like before I would not want it any other way. The 2.0 makes such a big difference on any road that is not smooth as glass. Any imperfections in the road the Fox 2.0 will make you a happy you got them. All fast sharp bumps is just one of the places they shine! I has rancho 9000's on my 14 and was not happy with them. They either were to soft and the truck was mushy or no different then stock. The Fox are very compliant and smooth on rough stuff but firm just enough to control the truck and chassis movement. Shock's will always have a compromise. But the 2.0 has the best over all for our trucks.