Bed Rail issues towing a 5th wheel with a 2017 F 250 or 350? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Towing Forum > Fifth Wheel & Gooseneck RV Towing
Reload this Page >

Bed Rail issues towing a 5th wheel with a 2017 F 250 or 350?

Notices

Bed Rail issues towing a 5th wheel with a 2017 F 250 or 350?

Reply

 
 
 
  #1  
Old 11-14-2017, 06:55 PM
Bruce2017
Bruce2017 is offline
New User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 23
Bruce2017 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Bed Rail issues towing a 5th wheel with a 2017 F 250 or 350?

I am considering buying a 2017 F 250 or 350 Diesel Super Duty, short bed with 20" tires to pull a 2014 Prime Time Crusader Model 295 RST 5th wheel. Should I be concerned about bed rail clearance?
 
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-15-2017, 04:53 AM
2009kr
2009kr is offline
Posting Guru
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,878
2009kr is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Bruce2017 View Post
I am considering buying a 2017 F 250 or 350 Diesel Super Duty, short bed with 20" tires to pull a 2014 Prime Time Crusader Model 295 RST 5th wheel. Should I be concerned about bed rail clearance?
You set the bed rail clearance to 6" or so with your hitch/ponbox adjustments. Given how tall these trucks are, you may be an inch or two nose high on your trailer. Personally, I wouldn't worry about 1 or 2" of negative rake on a 32' trailer.
 
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-15-2017, 08:34 AM
rwtdct's Avatar
rwtdct
rwtdct is offline
Senior User
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Central Coast, CA.
Posts: 119
rwtdct is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by 2009kr View Post
You set the bed rail clearance to 6" or so with your hitch/ponbox adjustments. Given how tall these trucks are, you may be an inch or two nose high on your trailer. Personally, I wouldn't worry about 1 or 2" of negative rake on a 32' trailer.
X2.....You should be fine.


Once you add the weight of the 5ther it will set the rear of your truck down some. Then determine how much adjustment (on your pin box and or hitch) you will need.


One thing to think about, I am not sure what your hitch weight is on your 5ther but, with a 250 you might need air bags or add an over load spring. With a 350 you will be fine.


Good luck on your decision
 
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-18-2017, 04:22 PM
campguy
campguy is offline
New User
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 10
campguy is starting off with a positive reputation.
I've been pulling a 39' Momentum 350m with a 2017 F350 for a few months now and have no problems with bed rail clearance. Using a Curt Q20 hitch and it is set on the highest setting. Trailer sits very close to level when hitched.
 
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-18-2017, 04:26 PM
jjinatx
jjinatx is offline
New User
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 2
jjinatx is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Bruce2017 View Post
I am considering buying a 2017 F 250 or 350 Diesel Super Duty, short bed with 20" tires to pull a 2014 Prime Time Crusader Model 295 RST 5th wheel. Should I be concerned about bed rail clearance?
I just got my 2017 F350 SRW Crew 4x4 with 18" wheels and 2018 Grand Design Reflection 29RS 5th wheel in the last 2 weeks. It's sitting in the driveway right now, loaded and ready for early morning departure on its maiden voyage. Curt Q20/R20 slider is 17 1/2" tall. Pin weight is right around 2K give or take a bit - not weighed yet. I haven't measured exactly how level it is, mainly because I am tired and my gravel driveway wouldn't give me an accurate reading anyway, but eyeballing it looks pretty level. I'll measure when I get on a concrete pad. I have a bit more than 7" bed rail clearance with the pin box set the way it came from the factory. It's almost like GD sets them up for F350s at the factory. There is a little bit less clearance at the little "spoiler" lip on the tailgate.

I first was going to get a 250, but the way Ford rates them they are a bit light weight even for some "half ton towables." Hard to believe, but check the yellow sticker inside the door. Yes, you can add airbags, timbrens, etc, but I'm too old to mess with that crap anymore. Life's too short to "make do" and cheap beer.

Good luck on your hunt.

-jj
 

Last edited by jjinatx; 11-18-2017 at 04:28 PM. Reason: forgot to add something.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-19-2017, 11:00 AM
HRTKD's Avatar
HRTKD
HRTKD is offline
Postmaster
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Somewhere south of Denver
Posts: 4,809
HRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by jjinatx View Post
I just got my 2017 F350 SRW Crew 4x4 with 18" wheels and 2018 Grand Design Reflection 29RS 5th wheel in the last 2 weeks. It's sitting in the driveway right now, loaded and ready for early morning departure on its maiden voyage. Curt Q20/R20 slider is 17 1/2" tall. Pin weight is right around 2K give or take a bit - not weighed yet. I haven't measured exactly how level it is, mainly because I am tired and my gravel driveway wouldn't give me an accurate reading anyway, but eyeballing it looks pretty level. I'll measure when I get on a concrete pad. I have a bit more than 7" bed rail clearance with the pin box set the way it came from the factory. It's almost like GD sets them up for F350s at the factory. There is a little bit less clearance at the little "spoiler" lip on the tailgate.

I first was going to get a 250, but the way Ford rates them they are a bit light weight even for some "half ton towables." Hard to believe, but check the yellow sticker inside the door. Yes, you can add airbags, timbrens, etc, but I'm too old to mess with that crap anymore. Life's too short to "make do" and cheap beer.

Good luck on your hunt.

-jj

JJ, welcome to FTE. Nice first post! Have fun on your trip.
 
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-19-2017, 07:29 PM
jjinatx
jjinatx is offline
New User
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 2
jjinatx is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by HRTKD View Post
JJ, welcome to FTE. Nice first post! Have fun on your trip.
Thanks. Glad to be here. Look forward to learning more about my truck and sharing what I can.

-jj
 
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-19-2017, 07:56 PM
bigredtruckmi's Avatar
bigredtruckmi
bigredtruckmi is offline
Post Fiend
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Grand Ledge, Michigan
Posts: 7,761
bigredtruckmi has a spectacular reputation.bigredtruckmi has a spectacular reputation.bigredtruckmi has a spectacular reputation.bigredtruckmi has a spectacular reputation.bigredtruckmi has a spectacular reputation.bigredtruckmi has a spectacular reputation.bigredtruckmi has a spectacular reputation.bigredtruckmi has a spectacular reputation.bigredtruckmi has a spectacular reputation.bigredtruckmi has a spectacular reputation.bigredtruckmi has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by jjinatx View Post
Thanks. Glad to be here. Look forward to learning more about my truck and sharing what I can.

-jj
Welcome to the group. A great bunch of knowledge is here. Some folks are current techs, I believe there is an engineer in the group.
 
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-23-2017, 11:22 PM
2015F350
2015F350 is offline
Senior User
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: California
Posts: 123
2015F350 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Bruce2017 View Post
I am considering buying a 2017 F 250 or 350 Diesel Super Duty, short bed with 20" tires to pull a 2014 Prime Time Crusader Model 295 RST 5th wheel. Should I be concerned about bed rail clearance?
I had issues, my fifth wheel sat level and I had 7 inches of bed clearance. My problem was the pin box cover was cutting the top rail on sharp turns. I used a dremel and shaved a inch off the cover and now no problems. I still have to replace the bed rails from the previous incidents. Anyone know how much they are?
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Str8shooter
2017+ Super Duty
21
01-11-2018 12:47 PM
georefarl1945
2017+ Super Duty
18
10-02-2017 11:11 AM
lkbrow1
2017+ Super Duty
15
05-12-2017 02:26 PM
Gary O
2017+ Super Duty
3
10-19-2016 04:32 PM
2009kr
2017+ Super Duty
41
10-18-2016 04:18 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bed Rail issues towing a 5th wheel with a 2017 F 250 or 350?


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.