what would you do - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

what would you do

Old 11-16-2017, 08:13 AM
Senior User

Greg Rogers is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Greg Rogers is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
My old truck had the round threaded female part come out of the hood. I was working on putting on the fenders at the same time and noticed the caged rectangular nuts that were used to hold the rear of the inner fenders to the firewall. I had a bunch of extra parts and found one of those threaded rectangles. They are made in two steps, the 1st step is about a 3/8" square then it steps up to a maybe aprx 1/2" x 3/4" rectangle. They have a hole that is threaded 5/16 x 28. The hole in the hood was aprx 3/8" round. I used a small air powered jig saw and a file to make the hole in to a square. I kept trying it to make the 3/8" square fit in the hole. When it seemed like it would fit tight, I snaked it down thru the hood with a extendable magnet. Then I screwed a long 5/16 bolt with a washer and nut through the hole into the rectangle, then tightened up the nut pulling the square into the square hole. Now the rectangle is inside the hood ,it can't pull through.(Without ripping the steel) I took off the nut and bolt and it was flush. I tack welded in the square nut to the hood then ground it all flat. I tried it with one of the original shoulder bolts and it seems like it will work ok. I'm not to the point of putting the hood on yet, so we'll see if it works then. Sorry I didn't get any pics of this I was just doing it one rainy day.

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums >