Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1023 diesel tuning

Old 12-26-2017, 11:21 AM
brian42
Post Fiend
brian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by cleatus12r View Post
I own three PCs with XP (and have had all updates turned off for a decade). No antivirus or firewalls either.
A man after my own heart! I have a 10+ year old laptop. I 'retired' it about 5 years ago and it's running a bare bones XP install that's my shop manual. It has never skipped a beat. Sure the facial recognition, voice commands, touch screen, tap gestures, and virtual assistants are fun but there's reliability in simplicity.

Old 12-26-2017, 03:13 PM
bleeds blue
Senior User
bleeds blue is starting off with a positive reputation.
"I was unable to make any meaningful use of the 1023 tunes. On both the SS and CK tunes, I have zero throttle authority below about 17-20%. Doesn't matter if the truck is cold, or fully warmed up. Less the approx 17-20% throttle, I get no response at all. Switching back to ANY of my PHP tunes immediately resolves that. So, its not my truck.
Further, when I switch to the 1023 tunes, several PIDS freeze, on TorquePro ( at least ICP and boost- didn't have time to stare at the screen while driving). They "stuck" PIDS will occasionally make an intermittent change, but then they freeze again. Again, as soon as I switch back to ANY of my PHP tunes, the problem instantly goes away."

So, after reading these posts I ordered two of the tunes to try them out. I got the cummins killer and daily driver. I absolutely love how they drive. Although when it snowed I had to switch back to PHP tunes due to how touchy the throttle was. Shortly after installing them, my EGT gauge on my CTS started to freeze. And then others did as well. I thought it was broken and ordered a new EGT probe. Still gave erratic readings and still have others freezing. I read the rest of this thread and went hmm.... Maybe that is the problem. I go out to run to lunch and now my speedometer isnt working. I switch to a PHP tune and it starts working again. Are the speedo's in these truck mechanical and it was a pure fluke? Or are these tunes just running wild with my electronics?

Old 12-26-2017, 04:02 PM
carguy3j
Elder User
carguy3j has a very good reputation on FTE.carguy3j has a very good reputation on FTE.carguy3j has a very good reputation on FTE.carguy3j has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by bleeds blue View Post

So, after reading these posts I ordered two of the tunes to try them out. I got the cummins killer and daily driver. I absolutely love how they drive. Although when it snowed I had to switch back to PHP tunes due to how touchy the throttle was. Shortly after installing them, my EGT gauge on my CTS started to freeze. And then others did as well. I thought it was broken and ordered a new EGT probe. Still gave erratic readings and still have others freezing. I read the rest of this thread and went hmm.... Maybe that is the problem. I go out to run to lunch and now my speedometer isnt working. I switch to a PHP tune and it starts working again. Are the speedo's in these truck mechanical and it was a pure fluke? Or are these tunes just running wild with my electronics?
Interesting. But the EGT gauge has no connection to the ECM or tuning. I suppose something in the tuning could affect the OBD2 data stream, that in turn could "confuse" the CTS generally? I don't know at all. I'm just spitballing here.
Speedo is electronic

As far as my issue, I did not have a chance yet to try the updated tunes. I was able to replicate the issue again, so it was not a fluke. Further,as suggested, I tried starting the truck in the 1023 tune, and also cycled the key off/on, with said tune selected. The problem remained the same, with no throttle response at light throttle ( less the approx 17%). Again, even after starting the truck in the 1023 tune, switching to the PHP tunes, with the engine running, instantly restored throttle authority and torque pro gauge function. So, what ever it is, its in the calibration.

As I said, Dusty did already email me updated tunes. I just haven't had a chance to put them on the chip yet. When I do, I will follow up.

Old 12-28-2017, 06:09 PM
Sous
SXE Junkie
Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.
I got some tunes from Dusty, and I think I am going to give them a shot in the morning. I have to take a package to the Post Office which is about 15 miles away.

The tunes below are the ones I installed tonight.

- Tow-Economy
- Street Shredder
- Cummins Killer

I told Dusty that I was not really interested in the Street Shredder or Cummins Killer for my own personal use, but would run them for a short bit just to see what my thoughts were.

I told him that the goals for my truck are economy and working hard. I don't drive it but once a month or so and that is always for some sort of work being accomplished. It may be taking a load of home renovation crap to the junk yard, hauling multiple cords of wood, picking up furniture, etc. The main use for our truck is to pull our 12K lbs 5th wheel around the country so I can drink beer and chill in whatever state I want.

Just to be on the safe side, I will NOT switch between Gear Head tunes and 1023 tunes while the truck is running. I will switch to the 1023 tunes when the truck is in the ON position, then switch the key off again, then ON again to let the GP's warm up and start. This is just in case there are different HEX codes being utilized between 1023 and Gear Head tunes.

Anyway, I will report back tomorrow with some opinions and some brief notes. I don't have Torque Pro set up on my new phone, so the notes will be pertaining to seat of the pants feeling, EGT's and how the truck reacts to throttle input.

For those that are not aware, I am running stock AD injectors with 248K miles, billet wheel and high flow outlet modified turbo, 4" MBRP exhaust and AIS intake.

Old 12-28-2017, 07:20 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
ExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant future
Very interested to see your impressions.

TP has some Ford PIDs already available, which seem to work well except for BARO. It's quick to setup.

Old 12-28-2017, 07:35 PM
Sous
SXE Junkie
Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by ExPACamper View Post
Very interested to see your impressions.

TP has some Ford PIDs already available, which seem to work well except for BARO. It's quick to setup.
I hear you about the TP setup, but I am sick as a dog right now and frankly cannot hardly move. Although, I am sending a Christmas box to my brother after UPS finally delivered his gift, which was mis-delivered to an address in PA for some reason.

I will get TP loaded soon, but it will not be tomorrow, that is for sure. I am really interested in the towing tunes he has available for when towing the 5th wheel, but this is a good starting point.

Old 12-28-2017, 08:17 PM
Jaime74656
Another cautionary tale
Jaime74656 is a splendid one to beholdJaime74656 is a splendid one to beholdJaime74656 is a splendid one to beholdJaime74656 is a splendid one to beholdJaime74656 is a splendid one to beholdJaime74656 is a splendid one to beholdJaime74656 is a splendid one to behold
If I could I would be happy to give 1023 a proper review as I use my truck on a daily basis for towing loads and loaded trailers, sadly I donít have the hydra but am planning on getting it, also needing to pick up a boost gauge so I can read boost psiÖ

Old 12-28-2017, 10:08 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
ExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Sous View Post
I hear you about the TP setup, but I am sick as a dog right now and frankly cannot hardly move. Although, I am sending a Christmas box to my brother after UPS finally delivered his gift, which was mis-delivered to an address in PA for some reason.

I will get TP loaded soon, but it will not be tomorrow, that is for sure. I am really interested in the towing tunes he has available for when towing the 5th wheel, but this is a good starting point.
Godspeed for your healing

If you need a hand when you're ready to setup TP, give me a shout

Old 12-29-2017, 08:39 AM
Sous
SXE Junkie
Truck is warming up now after taking some more information down regarding the GPR/glow plug issue from the Y2KW57 thread.

After reading the description of the tunes from 1023 on the RiffRaff site, I only feel comfortable running the "Tow-economy and Street Shredder" tunes. The Cummins Killer tune is not for me.

Even the Street Shredder is not for me, but I am willing to switch to it and see how it goes for a few miles.

Originally Posted by RiffRaff Website
Daily Econ – This Calibration is extremely clean with lowered shift points and pressures for smooth operation but offers a responsive pedal and some pep if you need it. We typically see the best fuel mileage from this file.

Street Shredder – Now we start having fun. This calibration is more aggressive than the daily at lower throttle input, shift points are higher to keep you in the power band, and at high throttle input the torque converter will lock up in second gear to get all your new found power to the ground. This file is aggressive but still very clean and daily drivable. Max HP and smoke is also going to be greatly determined by your choice and turbo in conjunction with your injectors.

Cummins Killer – This is your all out, empty the injectors and race a ricer file. Great for the drag strip and dyno. This one will smoke and is extremely aggressive. Max HP and smoke is also going to be greatly determined by your choice and turbo in conjunction with your injectors.

Old 12-29-2017, 09:10 AM
Jo7.3
Senior User
Jo7.3 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I donít have the cummins killer tune, but I do have the street shredder, and it is very easy to drive in. Since you have a manual, Iíll spare the shifting details lol. As far as smoke, it will smoke if you get on it, but just daily driving it normally, there is honestly little to no smoke. Even lugging it will only put out a slight haze of smoke (enough to notice some smoke in the side mirror, but not enough to black out traffic). It does offer a little boost in power from the daily econo tune, but I still run the econo tune 90% of the time just because of how clean it burns. And I like the shift points a tad more on daily econo.

Old 12-29-2017, 09:15 AM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Okay, Elephant in the room question here...

Years ago there was talk of certain tunes causing windowed blocks. I didn't find the exact info that may have been redacted as it seems that a bunch of feelings got hurt, maybe some liabilities were argued, whatever. Sort of like asking about Uncle Joey's time in Vegas and why nobody saw him for 5-10, LOL.

I can't help but wonder if (any tuner) who is new to the game is aware of those "we all learned from those old ways" lessons, if there is some protection/guidelines in the tuning software or how we as a community are going to avoid repeating those old mistakes?

I've heard different people, including tuners, talk about the old way and the new improved way of making power without damaging torque spikes, etc. Has anyone evaluated the new tunes from this angle?

I know we are in a situation where Tuner A doesn't work there any more and questionable tunes are out there, Tuner B takes weeks to return messages if at all, Tuner C decided not to get back into the game, and Tuner D wants nothing to do with tuning any more and....so folks are looking for someone interested and focused (and responsive) on tuning to fill the void.

What I don't know is if these new tuners are making use of the lessons of the past from the more mature tuners? As I've mentioned it seems much of those discussions aren't around any more. Maybe there is a "Tuners' Dark Web" I don't know about and all is well LOL.

But I believe it is worth asking the question anyways

Old 12-29-2017, 10:41 AM
Sous
SXE Junkie
So, the verdict is in, for me anyway. I felt like a 16 year old trying to learn to drive a manual transmission again. I have been driving the truck for 3 years now with Gear Head tunes and have learned the "shift points/RPM" that it is happiest at. Going from 1st to 5th is a smooth transition that is easily attainable without looking at the RPM gauge anymore. The automatic trans fellas probably have a similar experience with this, but the learning curve is much easier because the truck knows when to shift into the next gear.

The 1023 tunes seem like what I would consider the change in a teenager from one day to the next. They go to sleep as one person with a unique personality in general, then they wake up a completely different person the next day. This is what happened to the truck in Economy and Street Shredder. I ran both of the 1023 tunes on the same stretch of road for about 10 miles with varying speeds, throttle inputs and stopping and going due to being on a country road. I did the same thing back the other direction after switching back to Gear Head daily driver. This is the best way I could think to do a side by side comparison.

Right off the bat, I can tell you that Street Shredder is not for me, I am 100% on that. I am glad I didn't even try Cummins Killer. Although, I did laugh a bit as I was leaving Home Depot and waiting for traffic to clear as a Cummins with a 5" pipe coming out of the hood goes by blowing black smoke. The throttle input required is far, far less than what I am used to and I was on the cusp of being uncomfortable with it. As mentioned earlier by other 1023 Tuning customers the throttle input is different than what I am used. In order to attain the same speed, power or boost much less throttle input is required to get there.

I am happy to report that there was very little to no smoke at all from both the Economy and Street Shredder tunes. As I look at my exhaust pipe in the mirror, the smoke or lack there of is a bit masked by the ground and pavement going by at various speeds. But, there was no smoke that I could clearly see out of the side mirror looking at the exhaust pipe or out the rear view mirror looking for puffs of smoke when taking off from a stop.

The 1023 tunes are really quick and responsive to throttle input. Again, like the fellas mentioned before the throttle response is just different than what Gear Head has going on. The boost rises very quickly and I would tend to let up on the throttle just as it was shooting past ~22 PSI because I didn't want to set of a CEL. I did see the boost approach 25 PSI at times, but I was trying not to get it up there. 10% of throttle input on the 1023 tunes is like 30% or more on the Gear Head tunes. This is why I was saying I felt like I was having to learn to drive all over again. Not that it was bad, just different. Maybe Brandon can help me try to explain this a bit since he is one of the few other ZF6 owners with the 1023 tunes.

EGT's were right about where they should be, but I was not towing so by the time the EGT's were getting up to 1000 or so I was quickly approaching a shift point or well over the speed limit. Funny short story here... I rarely speed and I had just pulled over and changed the tune to Street Shredder and went on my way. I was quickly going through the gears and decided 80 MPH was good enough in a 55 MPH zone. Just as I let up on the throttle a Sheriff car was coming around the corner. Well, I waved and he waved and I stopped saying **** to myself as I was the only one in the truck.

I do like the tunes from 1023 and feel that if I had started with them 3 years ago, I would still be very happy. If I had started with 1023 and then switched to Gear Head, I would have thought something was wrong with the truck. The 1023 tunes seem to put more fuel where it needs to be sooner than the Gear Head tunes based on what I could see or feel. But, I think that is the whole point in finding tunes that fit your driving style and what works for your truck.

I am very interested in trying out the tow tunes from 1023 when pulling the 5th wheel and might have the opportunity for that in the near future. We are planning a short 9 day camping trip for next month, so I might work with Dusty in order to see what he recommends in the way of medium and heavy tow tunes.

I hope this helps others realize that just because someone says they like something or how things are done does not mean it is right for you. I think that both Gear Head and 1023 have provided great tunes for my truck, but because it is a ZF6 and I am accustomed to driving the Gear Head tunes I will leave the Gear Head tunes as the primary source for driving. I do look forward to trying 1023 when having the trailer hooked up though. Gear Head provides 28 PSI at 65 MPH going up a grade in the TN mountains, so 1023 has a tough fight in front of it. I suppose I would need to get a RiffRaff boost fooler first before trying that because I do not want a CEL to come up. My OCD would kick in and even though I knew the CEL would be because of the boost, I would not like it one bit.

I plan to get a RiffRaff boost fooler anyway and possibly a new MAP sensor just to protect the sensor for longevity use instead of beating it to death for the foreseeable future.

Questions, concerns or comments are always welcome. I learn from the experiences of other and hope that someone was able to learn a bit from this post.

Old 12-29-2017, 11:04 AM
Dan V
Posting Guru
Dan V has a great reputation on FTE.Dan V has a great reputation on FTE.Dan V has a great reputation on FTE.Dan V has a great reputation on FTE.Dan V has a great reputation on FTE.
I had DP tunes before Cody got me his. I much prefer the smooth linear approach of Cody to the "go" peddle.

Old 12-29-2017, 11:05 AM
MeTo
Junior User
MeTo is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.MeTo is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Thanks for the info sous.

I ordered the daily econ, street shredder and cummins killer yesterday from Riff Raff. I got an email from Jay about an hour latter, stating I should see them in a little over 24 hours? I have PHP tunes now and will be comparing the 1023 to them. I plan on pulling my ~2500 lbs camper (enclosed aluminum cargo trailer) with the daily econ tune, farting around in the street shredder and do a couple of acid test roll-ons with the cummins killer around home. If anything is going to be an issue? It should happen close to home, before I leave for Arizona.

Doing the plains states will show me what the daily econ tune can do. I plan on trying both the daily econ and street shredder in the hills and mountains with the trailer; particularly above 8000'. That right there is the test for me.

Old 12-29-2017, 11:09 AM
Sous
SXE Junkie
Originally Posted by Dan V View Post
I had DP tunes before Cody got me his. I much prefer the smooth linear approach of Cody to the "go" peddle.
It is a shame that the hardware for "Cody Tunes" fell through, but that is life I guess. I know I was interested in giving them a shot, but will only have to read about them from others.

Originally Posted by MeTo View Post
Thanks for the info sous.

I ordered the daily econ, street shredder and cummins killer yesterday from Riff Raff. I got an email from Jay about an hour latter, stating I should see them in a little over 24 hours? I have PHP tunes now and will be comparing the 1023 to them. I plan on pulling my ~2500 lbs camper (enclosed aluminum cargo trailer) with the daily econ tune, farting around in the street shredder and do a couple of acid test roll-ons with the cummins killer around home. If anything is going to be an issue? It should happen close to home, before I leave for Arizona.

Doing the plains states will show me what the daily econ tune can do. I plan on trying both the daily econ and street shredder in the hills and mountains with the trailer; particularly above 8000'. That right there is the test for me.
You are welcome. The tunes really are good, just different than what I am used to. They were clean (smoke wise) and the power was quick to come on. I think you will like them as others have and look forward to your thoughts on the tunes from 1023.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1023 diesel tuning

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.