1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

1023 diesel tuning

Old 12-22-2017, 01:34 PM
MeTo
Tuned
Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts
I hear your frustration and recommend patience. He and his business is young. I'm 60 years old and have been retired for 5 years. I'm an I.T. guy with a couple of pieces of paper that claim I know something. I spent too many years working crazy hours fueled by pizza and coffee; my heart and veins reflect that now. In the business, it's known as a code pig. Contriving algorithms and translating them into code does not just fly out of someone's butt. We have an opportunity here to help "groom" Dusty into the tuner we all hope to find.

AND he is doing it from Alaska in the black winter!

Old 12-22-2017, 06:32 PM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Received 1,967 Likes on 1,105 Posts
Originally Posted by MeTo
I hear your frustration and recommend patience. He and his business is young. We have an opportunity here to help "groom" Dusty into the tuner we all hope to find.

It just sucks to have to pay up front for trial and error.

Old 12-22-2017, 06:38 PM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Originally Posted by carguy3j

I was unable to make any meaningful use of the 1023 tunes. On both the SS and CK tunes, I have zero throttle authority below about 17-20%. Doesn't matter if the truck is cold, or fully warmed up. Less the approx 17-20% throttle, I get no response at all. Switching back to ANY of my PHP tunes immediately resolves that. So, its not my truck.
This tells me that it does this AFTER you've started the truck in a PHP tune and then switched to a 1023. If the HEX code is different between the two tuners' calibrations, this should be expected (and avoided at all costs). If it also occurs after a switch to the 1023 calibrations and then a key off/on cycle, then there is a calibration problem.

Further, when I switch to the 1023 tunes, several PIDS freeze, on TorquePro ( at least ICP and boost- didn't have time to stare at the screen while driving). They "stuck" PIDS will occasionally make an intermittent change, but then they freeze again. Again, as soon as I switch back to ANY of my PHP tunes, the problem instantly goes away.
See above reply. What do you have with PHP and what do you have from 1023 as far as HEX codes are concerned?

Old 12-22-2017, 07:36 PM
The Brad
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cleatus12r
No tuner in the market will get it 100% right on the first try.

Old 12-22-2017, 07:46 PM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Originally Posted by The Brad
No tuner in the market will get it 100% right on the first try.

It should be free until it's right.

Maybe I think differently.

Old 12-22-2017, 07:56 PM
The Brad
Laughing Gas
It should be free until it's right.

Maybe I think differently.
Send me some tunes and I’ll give you $100k once they’re dialed in right.

Spoiler alert: they’ll never be right.

Old 12-22-2017, 08:33 PM
carguy3j
Elder User
This tells me that it does this AFTER you've started the truck in a PHP tune and then switched to a 1023. If the HEX code is different between the two tuners' calibrations, this should be expected (and avoided at all costs). If it also occurs after a switch to the 1023 calibrations and then a key off/on cycle, then there is a calibration problem.

See above reply. What do you have with PHP and what do you have from 1023 as far as HEX codes are concerned?
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I had heard about that issue, with different hex codes. I just spoke with Dusty tonight. He clarified that his tunes ARE the same Hex code as my PHP tunes. VOAA7P6 (DPC421).

I'm not sure if I tried the key on/off after switching. I will give that a try tomorrow.

I had a very long conversation with Dusty tonight. It was very interesting and informative. I was surprised how much time he was willing to spend. Most of it not specifically about my tune.

He also sent me some new tunes to try, so I'll give that a shot.

He also explained why he won't turn off the overboost code. Of course I still don't like that I can't have what I want, but I understand now why it won't work right. I was under the impression that the code itself could simply be turned off or deleted, but apparently, it can't be. Disabling the code/CEL requires screwing around with "spoofing" the sensor data in some way, which can cause tuning issues. I also learned of an interesting solution he may have in the works. I don't know if he wants it revealed yet, so I'll keep quiet. But I like the idea.

So, hopefully the new tunes will work out.

Old 12-22-2017, 08:40 PM
carguy3j
Elder User
...... If the HEX code is different between the two tuners' calibrations, this should be expected (and avoided at all costs). .....
Just curious, can you elaborate on why this is so bad? Can it actually damage the PCM? Why does it happen? When you are running a chip, doesn't the selected tune overwrite/override whatever the PCM's stock programming is? If so, then wouldn't the 2nd different hex code tune then simply instantly become the "captain of the ship"? If either code works in and of themselves, then why the problem when switching?

Old 12-22-2017, 09:43 PM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Originally Posted by The Brad
Send me some tunes and I’ll give you $100k once they’re dialed in right.

Spoiler alert: they’ll never be right.
I have never said my junk's perfect but ask the dozen or so people on this forum whom I've emailed tunes to how much I charged......and how they run. I'd venture to say they run better than the tunes they paid hundreds for from "big name" tuning companies that never refunded a dime for tunes the customer can't use.

Old 12-22-2017, 09:55 PM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Originally Posted by carguy3j
Just curious, can you elaborate on why this is so bad?
The addressing of the mapping and a lot of the RAM location look-ups is dictated by the hex code. Some of these values are looked-up ONCE per ignition cycle. If the addressing from a different hex code is suddenly put in the mix, it's possible bad things can happen. If the processor is looking for a data point at address "x" with one hex code and all of a sudden that data point has moved to another address with the new hex code and "x" is a 7 instead of a 2 (examples with no meaning), that's a possible wreck.

Why does it happen?
The fetch commands from the processor are sent to a certain address in the hex code based on that hex code.

When you are running a chip, doesn't the selected tune overwrite/override whatever the PCM's stock programming is?
Yes.
If so, then wouldn't the 2nd different hex code tune then simply instantly become the "captain of the ship"? If either code works in and of themselves, then why the problem when switching?
I don't know why there would be a problem switching if the hex code is the same unless an error occurred in the compiling of the calibration before emailing. Corruption isn't unheard of.

Old 12-22-2017, 10:12 PM
The Brad
Laughing Gas
I have never said my junk's perfect but ask the dozen or so people on this forum whom I've emailed tunes to how much I charged......and how they run. I'd venture to say they run better than the tunes they paid hundreds for from "big name" tuning companies that never refunded a dime for tunes the customer can't use.
Let me clarify. When I said your tunes would never be right, I meant that I would never admit that they’re dialed in to avoid having to pay the $100k I offered. That was in response to your statement about not charging until the tuning is dialed in.

My original jab was about you not being in the market. There are a lot of us who wish you were. I’ve spent about $2k on tuning, live tuning and revisions and there are things that still aren’t right, but I refuse to spend another dime unless it’s with a different Tuner.

Old 12-23-2017, 12:11 AM
carguy3j
Elder User
Lightbulb

The addressing of the mapping and a lot of the RAM location look-ups is dictated by the hex code. Some of these values are looked-up ONCE per ignition cycle. If the addressing from a different hex code is suddenly put in the mix, it's possible bad things can happen. If the processor is looking for a data point at address "x" with one hex code and all of a sudden that data point has moved to another address with the new hex code and "x" is a 7 instead of a 2 (examples with no meaning), that's a possible wreck.

The fetch commands from the processor are sent to a certain address in the hex code based on that hex code.

Yes.

I don't know why there would be a problem switching if the hex code is the same unless an error occurred in the compiling of the calibration before emailing. Corruption isn't unheard of.
Ahh, I see........ Well, now it makes sense. I am definitely not a computer expert, but I get the gist enough that what you said makes sense.

Old 12-23-2017, 05:47 AM
MeTo
Tuned
Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts
So, you have never heard of or encountered an update with phones or PCs? You are obviously a code imbecile.

Now, back to my eggnog.

Old 12-23-2017, 08:19 AM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Originally Posted by MeTo
So, you have never heard of or encountered an update with phones or PCs? You are obviously a code imbecile.

Now, back to my eggnog.
It's why ALL "updates" should be called "downgrades".
I kill every software update my phone goes through and I own three PCs with XP (and have had all updates turned off for a decade). No antivirus or firewalls either. They all worked flawlessly when they were original and we have all seen the horse**** called Vista, 8 (and 8.1) up to the newest garbage, that guess what....somewhat RESEMBLES XP except updates are forced. Ever notice that just about EVERY OTHER VERSION of Windows that was released since Windows 2000 is OK while the others suck *****? ME was a joke, XP was great, Vista was horrible, 7 wasn't terrible, 8 should have cost the genius his life, 10 was better, and so on.

Oh, and thanks for the kind insult. Since software and code updates are in no way whatsoever intended to justify a codewriter's job position, I'll just refer to those people as having a "creative greed". I have NEVER seen such blatant use of the term, "If it isn't broken, fix it until it is".

This conversation has nothing to do with "code" or "updating" though. It's about moving a point on a GUI. It's not reinventing how the tune is written. It's opening a calibration file in a specific software program and moving a few dots around which causes the software to change a few bits here and there in the calibration which is subsequently saved and the put on a chip. The software used doesn't change.

We all know that the best product for the best price is going to rule the market. It's the way it should be.

Old 12-26-2017, 09:54 AM
brandon_oma#692
Fleet Mechanic
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
snipped from my post.

Originally Posted by brandon_oma#692
Hopped in the truck Christmas morning when it was about 5 degrees out with the truck sitting since December 8th. Key on wait about 30 seconds and crank over. Popped right off and was a little cranky for a few seconds then settled down...................................
This was in the medium tow tune I got from Dusty. Drove around town with cold oil and never stepped on it but everything performed "correctly" with no surprises.

I did have trouble at first which I am 100% certain was caused by switching on the fly from another tuners tune. Have not done that since and have not had that problem again. Come spring I'll be towing around 24-26k again and will try my best to make a direct comparison.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1023 diesel tuning