1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Best Way to Disconnect Fuel Bowl Heater?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 02:28 PM
Flame Out
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Best Way to Disconnect Fuel Bowl Heater?

I am trying to disconnect the Fuel Bowl Heater on a '99 PSD (F250) in order to troubleshoot why the Wait to Start light is not illuminating and engine not starting.

Is the best way to unplug on the OUTSIDE of the filter housing? If so, how does that plug come out? I have tried several time and cannot figure out how to get it loose? Sorry if this is obvious but that is just me.

Thanks for any suggetions.

Old 11-13-2017, 02:43 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
Just unplug it at the rear of the bowl, can't help with exactly where the release is on the connector.

Old 11-13-2017, 02:46 PM
Flame Out
Senior User
Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter
Just unplug it at the rear of the bowl, can't help with exactly where the release is on the connector.
That is the problem. Neither can I figure out how the release works and I do not want to break it.

Anyone know how it releases? It has been connected for 18 years and stiff!

Old 11-13-2017, 03:04 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts
It's just your standard electrical connector. Spray it with electrical connection cleaner to get the dirt cleaned out. Then give it a taste of WD40, once you have it removed, clean it again with electrical cleaner. If I remember correctly you said you're going to reinstall it eventually. I would put a little electrical tape to keep the dirt and grime off of it until you're ready to re-hook it up.

Old 11-13-2017, 03:16 PM
Flame Out
Senior User
Originally Posted by Colorado350
It's just your standard electrical connector. Spray it with electrical connection cleaner to get the dirt cleaned out. Then give it a taste of WD40, once you have it removed, clean it again with electrical cleaner. If I remember correctly you said you're going to reinstall it eventually. I would put a little electrical tape to keep the dirt and grime off of it until you're ready to re-hook it up.
Just wanted to be clear on that plug. I hate breaking parts!

Why does the Number 30 fuse keep blowing? I filled the fuel bowl with Diesel to keep the heating element submerged. So, it should not be overheating. This may be a worn out heater element although it appears to be fine. I see no obvious signs of melting at the contacts. Anyway, this is a separate issue from the Fuel Pump or PCM question.

Old 11-13-2017, 03:19 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
Originally Posted by Flame Out
Just wanted to be clear on that plug. I hate breaking parts!

Why does the Number 30 fuse keep blowing? Is this because the fuel bowl is empty with no fuel supplied by the pump and overheats?
#30 blows because the heater is shorted out inside. It looks like the connector is fixed with the lock facing upwards. There should be a tab in the center that you push on to release it. A small screwdriver could be used to depress that tab if it's cold and/or you can't get it with a finger.

Old 11-13-2017, 05:27 PM
Flame Out
Senior User
Success!

Once I got the clip off the Fuel Bowl Heater, the WTS light came back on. Pump seems to run fine. I just could not hear over that bell. Neighbor got underneath and could hear the pump.

Tapped off the plug and receptacle.

The problem may be the Fuel Bowl Heater with a short. This needs to be replaced. For the past two winters there have been periods of about ten days during our coldest below Zero (F) nights when the truck would not start. This despite the block heater being plugged in overnight. So, it is possible the Fuel Bowl Heater just was not functioning. Replaced that Block Heater last month.

Hope this concludes the issue. Now recharging the batteries depleted from failed starts.

Thank you one and all for your kind assistance.

Old 11-13-2017, 05:36 PM
dn29626
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
...Fuel Bowl Heater with a short. This needs to be replaced...
You are in a warm section of the country.
Remove the fuel bowl heater. Reassemble the fuel bowl without a heater. You will never have this problem again.
*I removed the heater from mine years ago, and have never had a problem since removal.*

Old 11-13-2017, 07:17 PM
bigb56
Cargo Master

Received 219 Likes on 149 Posts
Originally Posted by dn29626
You are in a warm section of the country.
Remove the fuel bowl heater. Reassemble the fuel bowl without a heater. You will never have this problem again.
*I removed the heater from mine years ago, and have never had a problem since removal.*
What makes you say Northern NM is a warm section of the country? I was there in July and we had hail and 40 degree nights. I've been there at Christmas and it was near zero at night with ice everywhere.

Old 11-13-2017, 07:41 PM
brandon_oma#692
Fleet Mechanic
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
Mine Failed several years ago. I unplugged it and never thought much about it. Pulled the engine from truck number 1 and now it is in truck #2 with no problems over several winters. I do use the power service white bottle in the winter.

what are the requirements for it to be turned on?

Old 11-13-2017, 07:46 PM
dn29626
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by bigb56
...What makes you say Northern NM is a warm section of the country...
It is in a similar latitude to my area, and the Carolinas are warm to me, including the mountains.
How effective do you think that heater is in fuel anyway? Think about it.
Good and functioning glow plugs get the engine running, not the bowl heater.

Old 11-13-2017, 07:52 PM
bigb56
Cargo Master

It is in a similar latitude to SC. SC is warm to me.
Ah yes, similar latitude but there is some serious elevation up there. Where my great grandfather settled it is near 9,000 feet and the local area is known as "Little Alaska".

Old 11-13-2017, 08:25 PM
bigb56
Cargo Master

How effective do you think that heater is in fuel anyway? Think about it.
Good and functioning glow plugs get the engine running, not the bowl heater.

Yes but I thought the purpose of the fuel bowl heater was to prevent or melt gelled fuel.

Old 11-13-2017, 08:29 PM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 785 Likes on 574 Posts
Success!

Once I got the clip off the Fuel Bowl Heater, the WTS light came back on. Pump seems to run fine. I just could not hear over that bell. Neighbor got underneath and could hear the pump.

Tapped off the plug and receptacle.

The problem may be the Fuel Bowl Heater with a short. This needs to be replaced. For the past two winters there have been periods of about ten days during our coldest below Zero (F) nights when the truck would not start. This despite the block heater being plugged in overnight. So, it is possible the Fuel Bowl Heater just was not functioning. Replaced that Block Heater last month.

Hope this concludes the issue. Now recharging the batteries depleted from failed starts.

Thank you one and all for your kind assistance.
Congrats!

Full synthetic oil is great for starting in cold conditions.

Wanna get rid of that annoying chime?

Old 11-13-2017, 08:48 PM
Jaime74656
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bigb56
Yes but I thought the purpose of the fuel bowl heater was to prevent or melt gelled fuel.
as far as i know its only ment to heat the fuel for return to the tank so it remains warm...but I could be wrong here and it wouldn't be the first time honestly...

Quick Reply: Best Way to Disconnect Fuel Bowl Heater?