Is my shuttle bus rare or something? I could use some help learning to repair it! - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1968-2013 Full Size Vans Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Is my shuttle bus rare or something? I could use some help learning to repair it!

Old 11-13-2017, 01:34 AM
New User

Lex Windle is starting off with a positive reputation.
Is my shuttle bus rare or something? I could use some help learning to repair it!

Hey everyone, I hope I'm posting in the right section!

I recently bought a bus at an auction to convert into an adventure camper (snowboarding/mountain biking/rock climbing etc) and I'm needing to do some repair work but I have very limited mechanical repair skills. I have been searching google for hours and have come up with little to no information on this particular bus but was hoping the awesome people here might want to help? Anyways, here's what I am planning on repairing (a friend took a quikc look and recommended these), bus info, and some pics:

1996 Ford E350 bus w 79k miles
v8 5.8l engine

-needs spark plugs and wires
-brakes (disc in front, drum in rear)
-oil
-transmission fluid
-coolant
-cap and rotor for ignition system
-thermostat
-grease fittings around the suspension
-oil pan gasket (seeping)

I bought this service manual but it's kind of confusing to be honest:
Amazon Amazon

I have some basic tools but nothing fancy (I know I cant do the oil pan gasket as I'm told is quite complicated?)

I feel like I could knock out the spark plugs (confused about replacing the wiring though) and front brakes pretty easy (wish I could convert the rear brakes to disc) otherwise I dont feel very confident in anything else although I really want to learn and become independent of shops for most things.

This thing has a lot of character and I'm excited to get it fixed up and on the road but any help is really appreciated!!!

Old 11-13-2017, 04:28 AM
Postmaster

maples01 has a good reputation on FTE.maples01 has a good reputation on FTE.maples01 has a good reputation on FTE.
Plug wires are easy, do them one at a time, but don't forget to replace the distributor cap and rotor. Oil pan gasket often requires raising the engine to drop it far enough to replace it, just check the bolts to insure they're snug, don't get carried away and snap them off either, use 1/4" ratchet.
I've noticed theres a lot of tutorials on youtube to help.
Old 11-15-2017, 09:39 PM
New User

econo93 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Might want to take a look at this thread because actually it's a real pain to change out the plugs and wires on these vans:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/5...hat-a-joy.html

BTW: I bought plug wires for my '93 from Advance Auto (Carquest Premium) and the #1 and #5 wires were TOO SHORT. I then bought Summit Racing wires but the coil wire was NOT RIGHT (no clip for coil attachment) so I had to use the old coil wire. Also the Summit wires are 9mm so you have to buy new wire holders.

I measured the CQ wires that were too short: One is 13-3/4" and the other is 15-1/4" (measuring the wires only; not including boots). So if you buy a set of wires and the two shortest ones aren't longer than these, you will have problems.
Old Today, 07:36 AM
Senior User

kountzecobra is starting off with a positive reputation.
Looks like a little brother to my 1996 Metrotrans bus. Not too hard to work on. I've been all over mine, swapped the engine, modified it to haul my Cobra, etc.