SOLVED: No Low Beams with Hi-Grade Head Lamp Upgrade Tune Up - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Bronco > 1978 - 1996 Big Bronco
Reload this Page >

SOLVED: No Low Beams with Hi-Grade Head Lamp Upgrade Tune Up

Notices
1978 - 1996 Big Bronco  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SOLVED: No Low Beams with Hi-Grade Head Lamp Upgrade Tune Up

Old 11-12-2017, 08:30 PM
Tim Hodgson
Posting Guru
Tim Hodgson is a splendid one to beholdTim Hodgson is a splendid one to beholdTim Hodgson is a splendid one to beholdTim Hodgson is a splendid one to beholdTim Hodgson is a splendid one to beholdTim Hodgson is a splendid one to beholdTim Hodgson is a splendid one to behold
Hi-Grade Head Lamp Upgrade Tune Up

I just got around to installing the 100/90W Hi-Grade Head Lamp Tune UP kit which I had purchased from the Bronco Graveyard last year.

1995 full size Bronco E.B. 5.8L E4OD. As far as the headlights go: 1 bulb does both High Beams and Low Beams.

On the paper sticker on the cardboard it says:

47-3662 PO 1639038S 20161121
Made in Taiwan.

On the yellow with the red border label stuck on the clear plastic hang tag cover it says:

90/100W
D4
100W High Beam
90W Low Beam
50% UP
High Beam 2000
Toyota 1A
the box next to "9007" is checked

I followed the directions, everything plugged in like it should. And high beams are working fine, but I have No Low Beams!

Any suggestions?

SOLVED: "Mechanics look to the component. Electricians look at the wiring."

I am neither, but am trying to become more of an electrician...

So my Bronco's 9007 headlight plug on the passenger side had one of the little holder clips broken off -- the one that plugs into the aftermarket Hi-Grade harness. When I pushed the plug in farther than the clip could hold it, the low beams (as well as the high beams) worked.

So now I am off to ebay to buy a 9007 replacement plug.

And in the meantime I will zip tie the plugs together tightly.

Old 11-13-2017, 04:33 PM
Kemicalburns
Post Fiend
Kemicalburns has a great reputation on FTE.Kemicalburns has a great reputation on FTE.Kemicalburns has a great reputation on FTE.Kemicalburns has a great reputation on FTE.
any pictures?

Old 11-13-2017, 05:11 PM
Tim Hodgson
Posting Guru
Tim Hodgson is a splendid one to beholdTim Hodgson is a splendid one to beholdTim Hodgson is a splendid one to beholdTim Hodgson is a splendid one to beholdTim Hodgson is a splendid one to beholdTim Hodgson is a splendid one to beholdTim Hodgson is a splendid one to behold
Hey buddy! I will take some pictures. I will also link the replacement plug(s) I bought to make the harness connection more secure.

Old 11-15-2017, 12:51 PM
Kemicalburns
Post Fiend
Kemicalburns has a great reputation on FTE.Kemicalburns has a great reputation on FTE.Kemicalburns has a great reputation on FTE.Kemicalburns has a great reputation on FTE.
awesome, that is much appreciated.

Old 01-23-2018, 11:48 PM
Tim Hodgson
Posting Guru
Kemicalburns: Here are the photos a tad late. The way it works is that you hook up the extension harness to battery positive, plug the extension harness into the left side headlamp plug, plug the extension harness into the left side headlamp, then disconnect the left side headlamp and plug the extension harness into the left side headlamp and just let the oem left side headlamp hang unused, and then hook up the extension harness grounds to the body (you can see the grounds in the pictures). Then plug the supplied relays into the sockets in the extension harness. (One relay activates the low beams, while the other activates the high beams.)

This set up reduces the cab's headlight switch to doing nothing more than sending relatively low amp current to activate the extension harnesses' relays and then the relays when activated supply power directly from the battery to the headlamps. Supposedly this will extend the life of the in cab headlamp switch because the high current does not need to flow through the cab's headlight switch to power the headlamps.

This set up also supposedly makes the headlamps brighter because the wire run from the battery is much closer to the headlamps than the wire run from the battery to the in cab headlight switch to the headlamps. Maybe it is brighter. I don't know. I think so. It certainly is not dimmer.

But the connection from the extension harness plug to the left side headlamp was not tight and the low beam lights would turn off when I was driving, so I bought another male and female plug set and soldered it in. (See picture.)

Here's my plan, now that I understand how this system works, I want to build my own heavier wire, heavier duty actual relay box with the relays protected inside the box with the box mounted to the fender and the heavier gauge wire protected by wire loom. The purchased extension harness is just a little too light duty for me.

Attached Images      
Old 01-23-2018, 11:57 PM
Tim Hodgson
Posting Guru
(Duplicate post deleted.)

Old 01-24-2018, 07:10 PM
Black Ford XLT
Posting Guru
Black Ford XLT is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Tim, I did the same to both my trucks, 92- bronco and 85 f150.Your correct, as your headlight switch has reduced current and using your battery,(through relays) which is much closer.
To install heavier wire is an over kill. The wattage divided by voltage gives you amperage .The wiring is sufficient as it is closer to your battery which reduces voltage drop. I understand your theory but it is not necessary. When I actuate my high beams my low beams also light up! giving low and high beam wattage together .By law and ford actually the low beams are suppose to cut off providing the higher wattage only, but realized in deer country and driving to work 55 miles (leaving at 430am) it was useful. Years back there was a write up in FTE to make this happen . I cant remember if it was just a jumper wire BUT I wired in a relay .Great mod as I have it on both fords and my 2 Harleys . Good Luck TR

Old 01-24-2018, 08:43 PM
Tim Hodgson
Posting Guru
OK Black Ford XLT I gave you reps! So now you have to show me a photo or write up on how you got the low beams to stay on with the high beams!!!

We drive US Hwy 50 American River road towards Tahoe at night on Friday and Sunday. And it is deer, bear and falling rock country! So, the low+high beam mod would be very helpful.

I just installed new low beams in our daily commuter Corolla yesterday and noticed that when I select high beam, the low beams stay on. And as a result, the high beams on the Corolla (which we never drive in the mountains) are much safer than the Bronco's.

I will search for the low+high beam mod, but if and when you get a chance post it up if you remember where you came across it.

Thanks for your advice on rewiring the extension harness. Based on your advice I will hold off for now. But if I do your low+high beam mod since I will be pulling amps for both low and high beams through the headlight plug shouldn't I at least replace the headlight plugs with high temperature plugs?

https://shop.broncograveyard.com/198...ctinfo/34807P/

Old 01-24-2018, 09:56 PM
Tim Hodgson
Posting Guru
Hmmm... The 1995 Bronco has one 9007 headlight bulb (which does both the low and high beams) per side.

Can you wire a single 9007 headlamp bulb to make the low and high beams be on at the same time?

Old 01-25-2018, 07:45 PM
Black Ford XLT
Posting Guru
https://www.ford-trucks.com/articles...m-low-beam-mod
Tim here the link to that article. I have been using this since 2005 and did no up grade in wiring and never had trouble .I now have added PIAA lights (2014) to my front bumper via another relay. Yes , both low beam /high beam and the Piaa lights come on when the high beam switch is activated. Not to confuse you, but the PIAA lights are also on a toggle switch and can be cut on with out the headlights.
Over the years and the new technology with lighting ,I researched better products for my 92 bronco and read many articles .Final , after all the research-New headlight assemblies -(old were yellow and dim) and the halogen extreme vision bulbs(9007XV)Read many nightmare stories on Hid and Led lighting. Good Luck TR

Old 01-25-2018, 07:49 PM
Black Ford XLT
Posting Guru
Tim -Yes- the article is for the high /low beam(same bulb) TR

Old 01-25-2018, 08:23 PM
Tim Hodgson
Posting Guru
Black Ford XLT: Well I cannot rep you. So I guess you will have to be happy with the fact that I owe you a beer if we ever meet! After your intriguing post yesterday, I researched the crap out of the idea of rewiring the headlights to allow the low beams to be on at the same time that the high beams are on. And everybody said something like this:

"If you try to light both the low beam filament and the high beam filament on the dual filament 9007 bulb at the same time you will likely:

1. Fry the wiring harness and headlight switch;
2. Burn out the 9007 bulb prematurely;
3. Melt the plastic housing on the headlight assembly.

As to No.1, I know I won't fry the wiring harness since with the extension harness I installed, I have already stopped running the high amperage headlight current bypassed through the headlight switch (the headlight is only powering the low amperage relays --- not the headlights themselves and the relays are sending the high amperage headlight current just a few feet from the battery to the headlights).

As to No. 2, I don't mind burning out the 9007 bulb prematurely if it makes night driving on winding mountain roads safer (with deer, bear and rocks on the road) and "prematurely burning out" means I get something like getting 80-90% of the normal bulb life (I can carry 9007 spare headlights, and they are easily replaced on the side of the road if need be).

As to No. 3., I would prefer not to melt the plastic on the headlight assembly... So, am I taking that risk?

If you don't mind hitting the ball one or two more times back into my court on this subject I would appreciate it if you would address the above concerns.

Thanks in advance buddy!

Old 01-26-2018, 09:26 PM
Black Ford XLT
Posting Guru
Tim , this modification you Risk all 3 ,and there may be a possible RISK of Fire. Your actually doing what the headlamp is not intended to do. When you actually pull your high beam light lever back to you(I believe headlight light switch on) ,this actually activates both low/high beam lights.Ford calls this flash to pass- Yes it momentary and not meant to use constantly. My bronco has never been used for a daily driver and now it is used 60% off road 40% on. After installing my Piaa and Led front lights I removed the relay for my mod. Reason: I added these lights via two relays with high beams on. TR

Old 01-26-2018, 11:21 PM
ZombieSlayer
Posting Guru
ZombieSlayer has a good reputation on FTE.ZombieSlayer has a good reputation on FTE.
Yea to use both on a dd you should swap out the factory assembly for a dual bulb (projector) assembly. Then you'll have a high beam bulb and a low beam bulb which with some modification can be run at the same time (and still give the option to run just the low beams).

Having both high and low beams on a 9007 bulb will cause a lot of heat which most likely will pop the bulbs or fry the filaments in short order.

Old 02-02-2018, 04:14 PM
Tim Hodgson
Posting Guru
ZombieSlayer: Most of the dual projector replacement assemblies I found on ebay are LED projector:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...ector&_sacat=0

I won't install LED headlights in my Bronco for the same reason I won't install an LED light on my snowblower -- the halogen bulb will melt the snow on the lens, while the LED's will likely not.

But maybe these deserve more investigation:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/92-96-Bronc...JaAqtn&vxp=mtr

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SOLVED: No Low Beams with Hi-Grade Head Lamp Upgrade Tune Up

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.