Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SOLVED: No Low Beams with Hi-Grade Head Lamp Upgrade Tune Up

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 11:57 PM
Tim Hodgson
Fleet Mechanic

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Not going to run low and high beam together. Just going to try the higher 100/80 watt Hella dual filament 9007 offroad bulbs and see how they compare with the oem 65/55 watt dual filament 9007 bulbs.

What do you think?

Old 02-16-2018, 06:47 AM
Redark1
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Ford XLT
Redark1, do these buckets allow you to do all 3 adjustments with the headlights installed.Most aftermarket if you have the blinker housing and side marker housing installed two adjustments are voided .TR
yes they do, the adjusters are new and come with them.

this is the ebay item number. 371925133098. ive been working too many hrs at work this week. ill try for tonight for pictures.

nice to see that the bulbs you found are still avail. I have used them before. there nice.

Old 02-16-2018, 10:03 AM
Tim Hodgson
Fleet Mechanic

This is the item which Redark1 posted.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Euro-Crysta...daZTGL&vxp=mtr

Redark1 I like how clear they are. It looks like they are using an LED bulb instead of the oem 9007 halogen bulb, but I wonder if they could be used with 65/55w 9007's or 100/80w 9007's? Please post up your experience.

What about using some clear protective film with those housings?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12x48-Clear...Jag00A&vxp=mtr

Old 02-16-2018, 11:57 AM
Black Ford XLT
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

The square lights are led off amazon,round being Piaa and the relays are potter brumfield industrial relays Tr

Old 02-16-2018, 12:32 PM
Tim Hodgson
Fleet Mechanic

Hey BLack Ford XLT I will mail you my less shiny but bought last year oem passenger side headlight housing to match your less shiny driver's side oem headlight housing if you send me your brighter passenger side shiny oem headlight housing to match my shiny driver's side oem headlight housing !!!

I like your light set up, but especially that light bar would get me pulled over in South Lake Tahoe. (I have seen cars with one DLR headlight out pulled over during the DAY!)

Those relays are so much more substantial than the relays which came with my headlight upgrade kit.

Thanks for posting!

Old 02-16-2018, 11:11 PM
Black Ford XLT
Fleet Mechanic
Ha ha ha, it's the light playing tricks , passenger side is the corner of my shop ,both are fairly new,it got up to 80 here today !Yes!,,,,,,. TR

Old 02-21-2018, 10:53 AM
Redark1
Mountain Pass
afaik there designed for regular bulbs. most light designed for led use a projector lens. they do have a piece that blocks the light from the bulb, guess it reduces glare or something.

don't see a prob running the bulbs you bought either. i used to use them in my 88 t bird. spraying them with clear coat might help or use a tear off material like the NASCAR guys use on there windshield.

Black ford what brand of bumper is that. nice layout.

Old 02-22-2018, 03:29 PM
Black Ford XLT
Fleet Mechanic
Thanks, Both front /back Bumpers are Bronco Air! TR

Old 02-22-2018, 05:13 PM
Tim Hodgson
Fleet Mechanic

Redark1: I would like to hear what you think about those headlight housings. Do you have them installed yet?

Old 02-25-2018, 06:54 PM
TexasGuy001
Hotshot
Received 205 Likes on 165 Posts
That headlight relay kit is a good upgrade. I have had to switch the low and high pins in the connector on this kit before to make them work correctly.

Just a suggestion, but I would stick the OE headlights and stay away from any of those funky lights. Also, avoid any blue coated hyper white style bulbs. They actually produce less light because they filter out the yellow spectrum.
Gimmick.

The best bulbs I have found are Philips Xtreme and GE Nighthawk.

It is best to only use the style bulb that the housing was designed for. Check out Daniel Stern Lighting.

Old 02-27-2018, 06:40 PM
Black Ford XLT
Fleet Mechanic
Yes that what I am running now Phillips xtreme vision-After doing tons of reviews -etc-staying with them Good luck TR

Old 03-06-2018, 12:07 PM
Redark1
Mountain Pass

night time aiming
well i got them done. there pretty nice. the upper inner adjuster doesn't have a hex like the ford units have but you can swap the stock ones in place of those. still aligning them as i havent gone to a shop to have that done. i even like the led bulbs i put in. they have the wires backwards but that's easy to fix. had to cut down the retainers and put a slit in to slip over the bulb. there really bright on high. can see things i couldn't with the stock bulbs.

this is the item number on ebay for the led bulbs. 232066656300

Last edited by Redark1; 03-07-2018 at 07:04 AM. Reason: add on
Old 03-06-2018, 01:37 PM
Tim Hodgson
Fleet Mechanic

Redark1: Thank you for posting. I sent a question on the headlamp housings you are using and the seller said that you coulduse the 9007 halogen bulbs in that housing. The seller also confirmed that the headlamp housing lens is clear (i.e., smooth/not ribbed) and that the chrome back of the headlamp housing is what has the ribbing.

Here are the LED bulbs which Redark1 referenced:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/9007-120W-1...pacNe5&vxp=mtr

I may try something different, but it will likely take me a while to get to it...

Old 03-08-2018, 07:43 AM
Redark1
Mountain Pass
Posted a daytime pic of the headlight so you can see the detail. im real happy i did this. the detail i can see around me now at night is amazing. if your driving down the road on a moonless night and really need the light this will get it. the distance is good too.

Old 02-26-2021, 11:54 PM
Tim Hodgson
Fleet Mechanic

Quick Three Year Update:

Because the HELLA (9007 100/80W) 12V Bulbs are behind oem style headlamp lenses which are ribbed and not very clear even when new and are aimed below oncoming drivers' eyes, I have never been flashed "high beams on!" by oncoming drivers when my low beams are on. Here are the bulbs:

Amazon Amazon

Very satisfied and brings the dim 1995 Ford truck lighting up to modern brightness - but not too bright!

REQUIRES installation of the headlight switch bypass/relay system.

Which brings me to the reason for this post. The pins on the 4 pin Shoi 15 amp relays have greenish blue corrosion on them.
Road vibration will cause the high beam to go out. I have switched the two relays and it makes no difference, road vibration still causes the high beam to go dark (so I have been driving around with only low beams for a while).

I would like to replace the relays and relay sockets with a waterproof version. And I would like the output/device side to be 60 Amp.

Black Ford XLT is correct. The market is flooded with cheap relays and sockets, some with supposed high ratings but with undersized gauge wire pigtails on the output side which is a dead give away for the true amperage that the relay can handle.

Any sources for a 4-pin 12VDC 60A waterproof relay and socket?

I cannot find the appropriate Potter & Brumfield. So what about these:

4 or 5 pin 80/60 AMP 12V DC Waterproof Relay with Harness - Heavy Duty 12 AWG Tinned Copper Wires

Amazon Amazon

I can't believe I am replacing the oem style headlamps again after only 3 years. See here:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...50-f350-2.html

Quick Reply: SOLVED: No Low Beams with Hi-Grade Head Lamp Upgrade Tune Up