5.0 or ecoboost for towing 3k daily? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

5.0 or ecoboost for towing 3k daily?

Old 11-12-2017, 07:19 PM
New User

Morgan Moan is starting off with a positive reputation.
5.0 or ecoboost for towing 3k daily?

Hey guys, I'm a noob here.
I'm sure it' been talked about already but just lookin for some first hand experience.
I'm strongly considering the new 150 for my new work truck. I tow my 12 ft enclosed trailer everyday with a 08 titan and the fuel costs are starting to kill me. Curious about which engin package would offer the best economy while towing light duty. And if waiting for the 18 with the 10spd would be a sensible option.
any tips are appreciated!
Old 11-12-2017, 11:05 PM
Postmaster

HRTKD is a splendid one to beholdHRTKD is a splendid one to beholdHRTKD is a splendid one to beholdHRTKD is a splendid one to beholdHRTKD is a splendid one to beholdHRTKD is a splendid one to beholdHRTKD is a splendid one to behold
My Titan was certainly a gas hog, but it sure was a lot of fun too. I doubt that your return on investment of switching to a different vehicle with better fuel mileage will pay out any time soon unless you're driving hundreds of miles a day.

If the manifolds on your Titan are cracked that can negatively affect your MPG.
Old 11-12-2017, 11:31 PM
New User

Well, I know the forward cats are bad. I'm replacing them next weekend with some luck.
But I have towed the trailer 37k miles since march, and she's got almost 150k miles on her. Looking at trading in my 08 gt and titan on the new rig
Old 11-12-2017, 11:37 PM
Postmaster

HRTKD is a splendid one to beholdHRTKD is a splendid one to beholdHRTKD is a splendid one to beholdHRTKD is a splendid one to beholdHRTKD is a splendid one to beholdHRTKD is a splendid one to beholdHRTKD is a splendid one to behold
Are you going with headers or oem-like manifolds? If it's headers you'll have to be tuned and the oem b-pipes probably won't be good enough.
Old 11-12-2017, 11:53 PM
New User

I was just going to do the oems
I found a pair manifolds and cats for $550 online
Old 11-13-2017, 12:04 AM
Postmaster

That's a good plan, cheaper than headers with a tune and b-pipes.

If you don't have instructions there are a few good threads over at TitanTalk.com. I did headers on my Titan and oem-like manifolds on a friends Armada. Feel free to ask me questions.
Old 11-13-2017, 11:13 PM
Elder User

AMXDREAMER is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.AMXDREAMER is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
IMO I would go with the 5.0. Any time you need the hp/torque it takes air and fuel so I think fuel will be similar when towing.
Old 11-14-2017, 01:54 PM
Senior User

pikapp is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan Moan View Post
Hey guys, I'm a noob here.
I'm sure it' been talked about already but just lookin for some first hand experience.
I'm strongly considering the new 150 for my new work truck. I tow my 12 ft enclosed trailer everyday with a 08 titan and the fuel costs are starting to kill me. Curious about which engin package would offer the best economy while towing light duty. And if waiting for the 18 with the 10spd would be a sensible option.
any tips are appreciated!
Both will get the job done, but one does it a little better. This article from C&D spells it out.
https://www.caranddriver.com/compari...omparison-test
Old 11-14-2017, 02:07 PM
Senior User

jav_eee is starting off with a positive reputation.
I had a 2014 ecoboost. That thing could pull anything. It drank a LOT of gas doing it though.
Old 11-14-2017, 04:49 PM
Elder User

Paw's 150 Lariat is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Paw's 150 Lariat is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I had a 2011 F-150 with the 5.0 and 3.55 gears. I also had a 2013 F-150 3.5 Ecoboost with 3.31's. Even with the taller 3.31's the Ecoboost with the low end torque would out pull the 5.0 from a dead stop. Mileage was about the same towing with both engines. I pulled a 9K pound boat with the Ecoboost and it pulled it easily but had some scary moments trying to stop it!!

Truck pulled OK but stopping it with the surge brakes was a PITA.