Need to tow 2 Jeeps soon

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 06:33 AM
JeepPuller
Fleet Mechanic
Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts
Need to tow 2 Jeeps soon

So, I've been towing my Jeep on a 16' flat deck steel trailer since 2004. My son will be driving his Jeep come November, and we may start hitting the trails together next spring (2018).

My 250 has a payload just north of 3,100lbs. I'm leaning towards a gooseneck car hauler around 32-35' feet long. Not an equipment hauler, but a car hauler.

I toyed with a 'bumper pull', but that seems like too much length hanging off the back; plus, the gooseneck will likely be way more maneuverable.

Anyone have experience towing two cars/jeeps/trucks via gooseneck or otherwise?

All input is welcome.

Old 07-18-2017, 09:21 AM
brandon_oma#692
Fleet Mechanic
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
I love gooseneck trailers. So easy to hookup by yourself. No weight distributing hitch to mess with. Just need to swing wider on the intersections. We looked at trailers like you are describing but with the full width deck and drive over fenders. We ended up with a deckover equipment trailer because we found a good deal used. It is 33'6" deck length and 2 jeeps (assuming the smaller ones) would be no problem to load so I think you will be very happy. I have hauled 2 cars on it but cannot find any pictures so here are some others to try and give a sense of scale. Also the deck between carhauler should be quite a bit lighter than mine empty so that will help you. You should have enough room to balance the 2 jeeps and have the amount of pin weight on the truck that you want.

I am picturing you with something the lines of this.

edited for not drive over fenders and narrow width

Old 07-18-2017, 09:30 AM
JeepPuller
Fleet Mechanic
Thanks for the feedback.

Yes, the last image is what I have been looking at; both wood, steel, and open deck versions. I just need to confirm the width between the fenders will fit my Jeep's tires. I don't run full-size axles, so believe it will be fine; just need to measure to confirm.

I do not plan to give up my single car hauler as it is very easy to maneuver and store.

Now if I could find one that is used I will be set.

Old 07-18-2017, 09:40 AM
brandon_oma#692
Fleet Mechanic
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by JeepPuller
Thanks for the feedback.

I just need to confirm the width between the fenders will fit my Jeep's tires. I don't run full-size axles, so believe it will be fine; just need to measure to confirm.
Back when we bought our carhauler they ranged between 79" and 82" otherwise a buggyhauler might be in order. drive over fenders and up to 102" wide. the wheels are in the same place but the trailer decks is extended. this is what I almost bought before my grandparents started buying bigger tractors.

Old 10-27-2017, 09:41 AM
JeepPuller
Fleet Mechanic
I have swung back to a bumper pull since I found one for $5K close by. Once I factor in the cost of the gooseneck trailer, installation of the ball in the bed, I'm way over $8K. I have the hitch I need to haul the bumper pull; weigh-safe w/8" drop, and this is a great setup to help dial in the tongue weight.

I just need to be willing to spend the $$ now.

Old 10-27-2017, 08:13 PM
lakequ
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
any pictures of of the new trailer i would have went with a goose neck if i were you just a nicer trailer imo

Old 10-28-2017, 04:31 AM
JeepPuller
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by lakequ
any pictures of of the new trailer i would have went with a goose neck if i were you just a nicer trailer imo
I have not purchased it yet. Just leaning that way.

Old 10-28-2017, 07:40 AM
1979 Ford
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Gooseneck is the way to go. My pickup came with a B&W turnover ball. I have a 5th wheel camper that I pull. I added the rails to drop the 5th wheel in.

If I didn’t already have the gooseneck, I would have used the drop in gooseneck ball that pins in to the rails.

With 2 jeeps, a gooseneck would be easier and better option. It is a stable pulling platform. It is an easier way to pull.

Old 10-28-2017, 01:22 PM
Slowpoke Slim
Laughing Gas
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
I too would recommend going gooseneck. You won't be sorry. I'm very happy with my turnover ball hitch.

See how easy it is for us to spend someone else's money?

Old 10-29-2017, 01:12 PM
JeepPuller
Fleet Mechanic
I do wonder if I'm being 'penny-wise and pound-foolish'...

I just keep missing any used gooseneck trailers and have better luck finding used bumper pulls.

I appreciate all input..

Old 10-29-2017, 03:04 PM
Ferguson65
Logistics Pro
Received 200 Likes on 85 Posts
If you are to go with a 2 car tag you need a wdh. Or at minimum upgrade to a class 5 receiver, but should still use the wdh. I've seen a handful of sd's on the side of the road with broken receivers.

A B&W goose hitch is under $400 IIRC, and worth every penny. I've towed 2 jeeps a time or 2 on a 30' foot goose. It's tight, and with only 30 feet you don't have any room to move them to lighten the hitch weight. I would not want anything over 20' off the bumper. Goose is the only way to go for a long trailer.

You just need to keep in mind that any single tire gooseneck beyond 30 feet is likely a custom build. They are not easy to come by used. Deckovers can be had easily at that length, but they are dual wheels and heavy, heavy, heavy.

Old 10-29-2017, 05:28 PM
JeepPuller
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Ferguson65
If you are to go with a 2 car tag you need a wdh. Or at minimum upgrade to a class 5 receiver, but should still use the wdh. I've seen a handful of sd's on the side of the road with broken receivers.

A B&W goose hitch is under $400 IIRC, and worth every penny. I've towed 2 jeeps a time or 2 on a 30' foot goose. It's tight, and with only 30 feet you don't have any room to move them to lighten the hitch weight. I would not want anything over 20' off the bumper. Goose is the only way to go for a long trailer.

You just need to keep in mind that any single tire gooseneck beyond 30 feet is likely a custom build. They are not easy to come by used. Deckovers can be had easily at that length, but they are dual wheels and heavy, heavy, heavy.
Thanks for the input. I am trying to avoid deckovers due to their weight.

I do, however, believe the hitch on my 2017 is up to the task of a tag of the length I need.

Old 10-29-2017, 07:06 PM
Ferguson65
Logistics Pro
Received 200 Likes on 85 Posts
Originally Posted by JeepPuller
I do, however, believe the hitch on my 2017 is up to the task of a tag of the length I need.
Did not see you had a 17. Can't see signatures on my phone. I believe I read the 17 hitch is good to marked capacity without a wdh. Bit I'd much rather have a goose. Once you tow one you won't go back.

Old 10-30-2017, 11:46 AM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts
If you're still looking for a gooseneck look up north and south at the oil fields. You may be able to find a killer deal. Just be sure you get what you want, so will be very heavy duty others will be lighter etc.

Old 10-30-2017, 11:54 AM
JeepPuller
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Colorado350
If you're still looking for a gooseneck look up north and south at the oil fields. You may be able to find a killer deal. Just be sure you get what you want, so will be very heavy duty others will be lighter etc.
Thanks. I did find one over in PA that is 36' long two car trailer; not a deck over per se. He is asking 5K, so I need to reach out.

Quick Reply: Need to tow 2 Jeeps soon