Would a good body repair person be able to fix this - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Ford Vans and other vehicles > 1968-2013 Full Size Vans
Reload this Page >

Would a good body repair person be able to fix this

Notices
1968-2013 Full Size Vans Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Old 11-12-2017, 10:59 AM
Paul-FL
New User
Paul-FL is starting off with a positive reputation.

2002 E250. The back portion where the bottom door latch is at is falling apart. I am wondering if there would be a possibility that a decent body repair person can cut it out and refab it.

Old 11-12-2017, 07:06 PM
NICKSAN
Senior User
NICKSAN is starting off with a positive reputation.
Yes, If you were to find a good metal fabricator anything can be fixed or fabbed up, but its going to cost you.

Old 11-12-2017, 07:33 PM
annaleigh
Posting Guru
annaleigh has a good reputation on FTE.annaleigh has a good reputation on FTE.annaleigh has a good reputation on FTE.
If you could dig in a little deeper and identify exactly how much of the area is rusted out would help. If it is not all the way across or up into the floor too far, perhaps you could find a van at the junk yard and cut out the section you need. If you could do allot of the work yourself then you could get someone to weld the good section back in.

Old 11-12-2017, 11:45 PM
maples01
Postmaster
maples01 has a good reputation on FTE.maples01 has a good reputation on FTE.maples01 has a good reputation on FTE.
Yes and no, you can cut the section out and weld in another, but the underlying cause of this will repeat it again, do it like replacing a rocker panel, if what you see is that bad, what about what you can't see.

Old 11-25-2017, 11:08 AM
Paul-FL
New User
Originally Posted by annaleigh View Post
If you could dig in a little deeper and identify exactly how much of the area is rusted out would help. If it is not all the way across or up into the floor too far, perhaps you could find a van at the junk yard and cut out the section you need. If you could do allot of the work yourself then you could get someone to weld the good section back in.
Yes I was thinking the same thing about cutting out a piece from a junk yard van and welding it back in place.

It seems that the rusted out part isn't very much of this. I could could cut it out and weld the junk yard piece in it's place. I'll have to see how the floor under the mat looks but it does seem solid.

Old 11-25-2017, 12:01 PM
chipper
Senior User
chipper is starting off with a positive reputation.
If the van is rusted that bad, is it worth fixing??

Old 11-25-2017, 01:32 PM
Paul-FL
New User
Well unless Santa can bring me a new one, I have to keep using it for as long as I can. The rest of the van is in good shape.

Old 11-25-2017, 02:06 PM
wirelessengineer
Senior User
wirelessengineer is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have cut out a section of box frame on a Jeep Cherokee (semi-unibody construction), and welded in a section from a donor vehicle. It can be done. A shop would probably not be willing to do that for liability reasons, but the section you are talking about isn't a safety issue, as far as I can see.

It won't be cheap if you hire someone to do the whole job, but if you do the cutting and all they do is welding, it might not be too painful. The vast majority of the labor for my project was in the removing of the rusted section and the donor section.

I'm guessing that fabbing it from scratch would probably cost more than replacing the van.

Old 11-25-2017, 02:38 PM
Paul-FL
New User
Yes since it is obviously not a part that is safety related it's worth a shot.

I do have one of those Harbor Freight Chicago flux welders. That should do the trick to welding the new piece back in. I can do a series of spot welds until it's all welded in I guess. I know those are cheap pieces of crap but it should work.

Old 11-25-2017, 04:49 PM
wirelessengineer
Senior User
If you run into any spot welds, you'll find one of these is very helpful.

Old 11-25-2017, 05:49 PM
maples01
Postmaster
maples01 has a good reputation on FTE.maples01 has a good reputation on FTE.maples01 has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by wirelessengineer View Post
If you run into any spot welds, you'll find one of these is very helpful.
Nice, go slow, when I replaced the bedside of a 78 F150 the bit I had burnt up quick, nowhere near as good as that one.

Old 11-25-2017, 06:19 PM
jeffreyclay
Senior User
jeffreyclay is starting off with a positive reputation.
Most junkyards have a cutting torch on the yard truck. Have them cut out a generous section that you could clean up with a 4" angle grinder. You might be able to cut out your bad section with the grinder as well. Get a pack of cutoff disc for the task.

Old 11-26-2017, 02:39 PM
wirelessengineer
Senior User
Yes, and a battery powered reciprocating saw for the few spots where you can't get in with the grinder. Let the grinder do the bulk of the work; it's much faster and easier.