1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Unidentified light

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 07:35 PM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Received 859 Likes on 458 Posts
Originally Posted by Indybeer
My 54 only has 2 instrument panel lights Here is a pic of it after rewire. The rewire kit was for a 53-56. Not sure where the third back light would go.
Where did you get the rewire kit? And did it include the plug kit?

Old 12-11-2017, 09:00 PM
CBeav
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by abe
Both of my trucks are plain Jane standard models. So there is a plug covering the hole. No frills..... However they both have electric wipers and my 55 F350 has a foot operated optional stock windshield washer and factory turn signals that cancel them selves. Why a farmer paid extra for those options I don't know.
Usually a dealer appoints one or two guys to spec out the vehicles they order for the lot so sometimes you'd see things ordered that you wouldn't expect. The theory is options are mostly pure profit so ordering a vehicle with a couple would make the dealer a few more bucks without adding so much that the customer wouldn't buy the vehicle. Plus being relatively inexpensive a dealer could throw them in to sweeten the pot. However, electric wipers and a washer could be great additions for winter driving. The turn signals were probably dealer-ordered. I remember reading the new car ads in our local newspapers and seeing 'Self-cancelling Turn Signals' listed on almost every new car on the lot. At that point I had never seen a car that didn't have them (probably '61 or '62) so I thought it odd they would waste the ink to advertise the feature. I guess it made an impression on me to remember it this long.

Old 12-11-2017, 09:25 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,610 Likes on 1,454 Posts
Originally Posted by CBeav
Usually a dealer appoints one or two guys to spec out the vehicles they order for the lot so sometimes you'd see things ordered that you wouldn't expect. The theory is options are mostly pure profit so ordering a vehicle with a couple would make the dealer a few more bucks without adding so much that the customer wouldn't buy the vehicle. Plus being relatively inexpensive a dealer could throw them in to sweeten the pot. However, electric wipers and a washer could be great additions for winter driving. The turn signals were probably dealer-ordered. I remember reading the new car ads in our local newspapers and seeing 'Self-cancelling Turn Signals' listed on almost every new car on the lot. At that point I had never seen a car that didn't have them (probably '61 or '62) so I thought it odd they would waste the ink to advertise the feature. I guess it made an impression on me to remember it this long.
That makes sense, Beav. If a prospective buyer saw a vehicle on a lot with certain options they might be inclined to order those options themselves.

My truck's original owners had an orchard. I don't think they did much winter driving.

Interesting note about my 55, I have the big signal stat turn signals on top of the fenders, but the parking light sockets are double bayonet sockets which take a double filament bulb. But only one wire, the parking light wire, goes to it. I plan on splicing into the turnsignal wire and then connecting the unused wire on the parking light socket and have turnsignals there and on the fenders.