Swapping motor. What would you do? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

Swapping motor. What would you do?

Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swapping motor. What would you do?

Old 11-11-2017, 06:18 AM
Firefighter 1406
Postmaster
Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.
Swapping motor/progress starting to ramp up.

My old 7.3 engine gave up the ghost. I am going to pick up a engine today. My truck is a E99 that I have swapped all the stuff over to a late 99 setup. The engine I am going to get is a 2002. Is there any issues besides swapping of some parts I am looking at?

I am fixing the truck up to sell as I have already bought a new truck. So I don't mind putting a little money to make sure everything is correct but don't want to sink a ton of money into it. Is there any must do's that I am looking at before I swap in the engine?

Will the 2002 engine run with my e99 pcm okay?

Old 11-11-2017, 06:32 AM
Tugly
Post Fiend
Tugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputation
If you're looking to just sell it, I would be concerned with it being done as close to stock as possible, and clean the dickens out of everything. Nothing says "I gotta have it" like a clean stock-looking truck, with exception of maybe having the AIS instead of the stock air box.

Jeez... about the time you're getting your engine squared away, your kicking it to the curb. That's a shame.

Old 11-11-2017, 06:39 AM
Firefighter 1406
Postmaster
Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Tugly View Post
If you're looking to just sell it, I would be concerned with it being done as close to stock as possible, and clean the dickens out of everything. Nothing says "I gotta have it" like a clean stock-looking truck, with exception of maybe having the AIS instead of the stock air box.

Jeez... about the time you're getting your engine squared away, your kicking it to the curb. That's a shame.

I feeling like I am betraying her by selling. But I have bought a new truck and my wife could really use a newer vehicle so hopefully sell this and her truck and get her something nicer. My truck is pretty close to being stock engine wise. But I am am debating on letting the billet plenums and other parts go with it or sell them separate. Thank you for the advice on cleaning it up. Not sure if my engine stand will hold this engine, will have to check it out. Be easy to clean on the stand.

Old 11-11-2017, 11:02 AM
Firefighter 1406
Postmaster
Here she is.

Old 11-11-2017, 11:58 AM
BBslider001
Post Fiend
BBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud of
So, let me get this straight....you are ditching the 7.3 for a 6.4? Do you like pain? Too bad since you were just getting it together.

Old 11-11-2017, 12:11 PM
Walleye Hunter
Postmaster
Walleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to behold
I'm jealous of how easy those up pipes will be to do.

Old 11-11-2017, 01:14 PM
hydro man 17
Posting Guru
hydro man 17 has a good reputation on FTE.hydro man 17 has a good reputation on FTE.
My only real question is will you get back what you put into it time and effort/expense wise? Sometimes you end up on the better end of the stick in the long run if you just let the new owner do what they want to do.

Old 11-11-2017, 03:54 PM
Firefighter 1406
Postmaster
Originally Posted by BBslider001 View Post
So, let me get this straight....you are ditching the 7.3 for a 6.4? Do you like pain? Too bad since you were just getting it together.
Well i will be honest it was not the plan at all. I really was looking for a v-10 which was impossible to find. So i looked at a couple 6.0 trucks and then this one came along. Wasnít planning on buying it at all, but the guy took very good care of it, deletes where all done, amsoil throughout, etc. So it wasnít in the cards but love it so far, hope that lasts for a long time too.

Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
I'm jealous of how easy those up pipes will be to do.
Right!!!!!! I thought the same thing. It will be easy to swap parts and get ready to go in.

Originally Posted by hydro man 17 View Post
My only real question is will you get back what you put into it time and effort/expense wise? Sometimes you end up on the better end of the stick in the long run if you just let the new owner do what they want to do.
Well i am looking at selling truck with no motor 2 grand maybe. Through an engine in it and sell it for maybe 8-9 grand. That is my motivation, and think it is worth the effort. It will be going back together as close to stock as i can.

Old 11-11-2017, 07:06 PM
cleatus12r
Postmaster
cleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputation
To answer your question in the first post:

Put in the 2002 engine as-is and run it. No worries about PCM liking it or not.

Old 11-11-2017, 07:33 PM
Firefighter 1406
Postmaster
Thank you cleatus.

Old 11-12-2017, 06:19 AM
Tugly
Post Fiend
Tugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputation
I bought a 1-ton stand at Horrible Fright for about $100 - $150 (can't remember the price), and I've used the hell out of it. I will sell the stand, lift, and leveler when I'm done and get almost all of my money back.

Old 11-12-2017, 09:31 AM
Firefighter 1406
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Tugly View Post
I bought a 1-ton stand at Horrible Fright for about $100 - $150 (can't remember the price), and I've used the hell out of it. I will sell the stand, lift, and leveler when I'm done and get almost all of my money back.
Ya. I have an engine stand. But i don’t think i will trust it for the 7.3. Probably pick one up at harbor freight today. Don’t really want to buy a hoist so i am gonna have to think about that one. I got the new engine out of the bed of the truck with this set up. Not the best but it worked so i could get the engine out of the rain.

Old 11-12-2017, 10:02 AM
Tugly
Post Fiend
Your monitor cracks me up. The camera is placed so that the monitor looks like you're looking in the mirror. Should we call that the "Trump Telly"

Old 11-12-2017, 10:03 AM
brandon_oma#692
Posting Guru
brandon_oma#692 has a great reputation on FTE.brandon_oma#692 has a great reputation on FTE.brandon_oma#692 has a great reputation on FTE.brandon_oma#692 has a great reputation on FTE.brandon_oma#692 has a great reputation on FTE.brandon_oma#692 has a great reputation on FTE.
When I stuck the engine out of my old 250 into my 450 I asked myself this and left well enough alone. I thought about what I should do and the list was almost endless. I replaced a few glow plugs that were bad and jammed it in.

I would keep it simple and cheap since you are selling it.

Things I thought about doing but decided I didn't have the money.

Glow plugs
Injector cups
Oil pan
Oil cooler never crossed my mind
Up pipes or t4 kit
Waterpump
Ipr
HPOP hoses
Regulated return
turbo rebuild or upgrade
Block heater
Uvch harness
Valve cover gaskets

Old 11-12-2017, 01:10 PM
Bill Kay
Senior User
Bill Kay is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Bill Kay is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.

Originally Posted by Firefighter 1406 View Post
Ya. I have an engine stand. But i donít think i will trust it for the 7.3. Probably pick one up at harbor freight today. Donít really want to buy a hoist so i am gonna have to think about that one. I got the new engine out of the bed of the truck with this set up. Not the best but it worked so i could get the engine out of the rain.

Be careful with the chain hoist, it can get away from you quickly. I lost a finger tip due to swinging an engine from a come-a-long(cable hoist?). Get plenty of help going from truck to stand and stand to truck.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Swapping motor. What would you do?

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.