Swapping motor. What would you do? - Page 3 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

Swapping motor. What would you do?

Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swapping motor. What would you do?

Old 04-26-2018, 02:39 PM
The Brad
Elder User
The Brad has a great reputation on FTE.The Brad has a great reputation on FTE.The Brad has a great reputation on FTE.The Brad has a great reputation on FTE.

Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
How do you check the compression without attaching a starter to it and spinning it?
A leakdown test would be better. BTW Firefighter, I have a leak down tester too.

Old 04-26-2018, 09:45 PM
Firefighter 1406
Postmaster
Firefighter 1406 has a very good reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a very good reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a very good reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a very good reputation on FTE.
So here is my thoughts going forward:

1. Get the truck moved from the road to in front of the garage.

2. Prepare the hear the wife complain for the next couple months that we have to play musical vechicles all the time.

3. Do a leak down test on the old engine before pulling out. Just to double verify the issue.

4. Proceed with pulling the engine (as needed)

Open to any suggestions from the veterans who have been there before. I have pulled an engine before itís just been a while.

Old 04-27-2018, 08:01 AM
BBslider001
Post Fiend
BBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Firefighter 1406 View Post
So here is my thoughts going forward:

1. Get the truck moved from the road to in front of the garage.

2. Prepare the hear the wife complain for the next couple months that we have to play musical vechicles all the time.

3. Do a leak down test on the old engine before pulling out. Just to double verify the issue.

4. Proceed with pulling the engine (as needed)

Open to any suggestions from the veterans who have been there before. I have pulled an engine before it’s just been a while.
Well, the good thing is these engines are pretty simple to pull. I just did my buddy's truck a couple of weeks ago and it was not that big of a deal other than the labor involved. I would definitely do whatever test I could first to verify yours is actually bad.

Old 04-27-2018, 08:26 AM
z31freakify
Post Fiend
z31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to behold
On the super dutys are even easier than the obs, just remove the header panel and radiator top support and you can pull it forward removing the turbo makes it a breeze, doesnt get simpler than that.

Old 04-27-2018, 10:56 AM
Dan V
Posting Guru
Dan V has a great reputation on FTE.Dan V has a great reputation on FTE.Dan V has a great reputation on FTE.Dan V has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by z31freakify View Post
On the super dutys are even easier than the obs, just remove the header panel and radiator top support and you can pull it forward removing the turbo makes it a breeze, doesnt get simpler than that.
Except for the rust on everything.....on a northern climate vehicle.

Old 04-27-2018, 02:54 PM
DieselDenny
Posting Guru
DieselDenny has a very good reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a very good reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a very good reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a very good reputation on FTE.
Seth, get a lighted bore scope down there. They are dirt frickin cheap and your wife wants you to have one for Friday and Saturday night adventures anyway.

With that unit, and as discussed a hot wire, (If you can find the piece) you should be able to surgically extract it.

I wouldn't rotate the assembly again fearing that the renter fell into a valve and is going to bend a rod.

Keep us posted on progress!!

Denny

Old 04-28-2018, 07:10 AM
Firefighter 1406
Postmaster
Firefighter 1406 has a very good reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a very good reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a very good reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a very good reputation on FTE.
I think the light scope might work for piston inspection and make sure that plastic is out. Will have to see where to get one.

Old 04-28-2018, 12:49 PM
hydro man 17
Posting Guru
hydro man 17 has a good reputation on FTE.hydro man 17 has a good reputation on FTE.
"Will have to see where to get one"

A proper gun/shooting supply store would be a good start.

Old 04-30-2018, 07:37 AM
Firefighter 1406
Postmaster
Anybody using a reasonably priced borescope? If so where did you purchase it. I looked on eBay and they all look like junk. But maybe thatís just what itís gonna be.

Old 04-30-2018, 08:14 AM
z31freakify
Post Fiend
z31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Dan V View Post
Except for the rust on everything.....on a northern climate vehicle.
What's rust? LOL.... JK well that sucks but he cab still give it a try after all theres only a couple bolts that would make an engine swap a breeze.

Old 06-10-2018, 07:28 PM
Firefighter 1406
Postmaster
Alright. This plan had been delayed a bit. But tomorrow is the day to get the truck into the driveway. I am hoping to get started on tearing into it a bet tomorrow as well. Would love to get the leak down test down tomorrow to see what’s up with that.

Old 06-11-2018, 07:45 PM
Firefighter 1406
Postmaster
Well it happened. I called and friend and my neighbor came over. Friends wife steered and the three of us pushed. Was able to get it up into the drive and into position. I started taking apart the front end. Didnít get real far but it is a start. I am shooting to have the engine out by Saturday.

Old 06-11-2018, 08:02 PM
DieselDenny
Posting Guru
DieselDenny has a very good reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a very good reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a very good reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a very good reputation on FTE.
Hmmmm!!! Not saying much Seth, But Hmmmm. I spy in my little eye!!!!

Denny

Old 06-11-2018, 08:39 PM
Walleye Hunter
Postmaster
Walleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to behold
Good luck with it! What ya got growing on that radiator?

Old 06-11-2018, 08:54 PM
Firefighter 1406
Postmaster
Originally Posted by DieselDenny View Post
Hmmmm!!! Not saying much Seth, But Hmmmm. I spy in my little eye!!!!

Denny
You spy what Denny??

Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
Good luck with it! What ya got growing on that radiator?
I thought the same. It looks like a collection of leaves that has been there for a LONG TIME!!!!

Anybody know what I would need to evacuate the A/C system?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Swapping motor. What would you do?

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.