Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

2.7 ecoboost stalls, dies after towing

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2018, 11:31 AM
Atrrider
Junior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ford390gashog
I thought the 2.7 was the only engine with the AGM battery until 2017? Then in 2017 the Gen 2 EcoBoost got auto start and stop and they started using the AGM. For 2018 all the trucks have AGM.

Side note, make sure the truck you are looking at has the HPP frame and is marked. Sounds like you have done the research and know you need max tow package, factory 20" wheels and 157" wb. There is some that have the wheelbase but lack the HPP frame because of wheels. For reference the HPP sticker is directly on the passenger frame rail under the door. I attached mine for reference.
Truck is 145WB, MTTP, 20’s. It has HPP frame sticker on it. I’ll post pics in a few.

Old 10-14-2018, 08:56 AM
Atrrider
Junior User
Originally Posted by ford390gashog
I thought the 2.7 was the only engine with the AGM battery until 2017? Then in 2017 the Gen 2 EcoBoost got auto start and stop and they started using the AGM. For 2018 all the trucks have AGM.

Side note, make sure the truck you are looking at has the HPP frame and is marked. Sounds like you have done the research and know you need max tow package, factory 20" wheels and 157" wb. There is some that have the wheelbase but lack the HPP frame because of wheels. For reference the HPP sticker is directly on the passenger frame rail under the door. I attached mine for reference.

Here is a pic of the new truck’s frame tag

Old 10-14-2018, 08:57 AM
Atrrider
Junior User
Originally Posted by ATX SD
Are you sure you will get an HPP frame? My max tow 2018 has the HD frame, 7000 lb GVWR/3800 LB RAWR. I'm pretty sure the HPP frame only comes with the Heavy Payload package.
i attached the pic can to post 62

Old 10-14-2018, 02:53 PM
ATX SD
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks. Learned something new.

Old 10-14-2018, 06:24 PM
Atrrider
Junior User
Originally Posted by ATX SD
Thanks. Learned something new.
There is no literature about it that I could find. I’ve seen an 18 with MTTP and 20’s with an HD frame. Not sure when Ford made the swap, mine is an 18.

Old 10-31-2018, 09:17 PM
BNR
New User
Gentlemen: OP here.

Let's put aside talk of batteries and frames and get back to the original discussion of 2.7's stalling after towing. Since my original post I have had numerous incidents of this same problem. I just returned from a cross country trip. One occasion, As I pulled off the freeway and was coasting up to a redlight, the engine died. No check engine light. (Hence, no codes) As others have stated, to get going again, I have to start the engine with the throttle cracked, and then put tranny in drive. I have had my truck into the dealer several times. They say no codes, can't do anything for me. They checked the Ford database, and they claim there are not any reports of this problem. That's hard to believe, as I have read many complaints about this problem both on this forum and F150forum also.
Might be some of the same posters, but obviously a lot of 2.7 owners are having the same problem and Ford won't admit there's a problem. I fell this is a safety concern. Encourage all owners to report this to the NTSB.
Anything new on the TSB's about this?

Old 11-04-2018, 06:47 AM
IndyDog
More Turbo
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by BNR

Let's put aside talk of batteries and frames and get back to the original discussion of 2.7's stalling after towing. Since my original post I have had numerous incidents of this same problem. I just returned from a cross country trip. One occasion, As I pulled off the freeway and was coasting up to a redlight, the engine died. No check engine light. (Hence, no codes) As others have stated, to get going again, I have to start the engine with the throttle cracked, and then put tranny in drive. I have had my truck into the dealer several times. They say no codes, can't do anything for me. They checked the Ford database, and they claim there are not any reports of this problem. That's hard to believe, as I have read many complaints about this problem both on this forum and F150forum also.
Might be some of the same posters, but obviously a lot of 2.7 owners are having the same problem and Ford won't admit there's a problem. I fell this is a safety concern. Encourage all owners to report this to the NTSB.
I'd take this to the next level, put a GoPro mounted behind you and show them documented proof, yes it is a safety issue but safety aside it shouldn't be happening. With video they can't just dismiss it. Too easy just to go into database and say it hasn't been reported and thus there's no fix...cheap way out. Send it to Ford if no response from the dealer...I'd be quite upset if I were you.

Old 11-04-2018, 07:29 AM
Appleman1
New User
Has anyone found any confirmed fixes?

Originally Posted by BNR

there seems to be more and more people with the same issue. Has anyone found any confirmed fixes for this? Planning another big trip soon and not looking forward to dealing with this issue again. Truck is bone stock only problem is when towing which is my main reason to have it

Old 11-26-2018, 02:00 AM
Brent Watson
New User
2018 F150 (4,000 miles) stalled at stops while towing

I just returned from a lobstering & fishing trip to Key Largo towing my 22 ft boat which is exactly 227 miles from my home (one way) with my 2018 F150 Sport and had the he'll scared out of me on the way down when I got off the highway for gas. After I came to a complete stop my truck stalled out in a very busy intersection near Miami. I had no idea what happened and when I restated it, it would quickly stall out again so my wife, 15 year old son and brother in law jumped out and pushed us into the gas station. After several attempts with stress high I discovered that I had to hold the gas down for a minute or so them quickly put it in gear to take off. One the way home today Sunday, 11/25/18(actually yesterday because it's after midnight?) it stalled out again multiple times. First when i stopped for gas on Alligator Alley then again at multiple tragic lights after I got off my exit off of highway 75 then at every traffic light until i pulled into my driveway.

Old 11-26-2018, 07:55 AM
wisner45
Junior User
With all of them doing it while towing a trailer, could it be related to the trailer towing brake controller or trailer lights circuit ? From what I have read, when plugged into the trailer connector it cancels the auto stop feature. Maybe a software glitch !!

Old 11-26-2018, 08:25 AM
Appleman1
New User
Possibly but its only after a extended period of towing. Seems more of a fuel type issue. Possibly computer. Now since it has been below freezing here i have been having a check engine light issue that they say is a air temp sensor and on nationwide backorder. Possibly related also.

Old 11-28-2018, 01:53 PM
2.7EcoBoost
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BNR

I wonder if it is limited to just the 2.7? This engine is in the majority of F-150 sold and this issue is very widespread in terms of a % that are having the problem. I have towed approx. 5,800lb TT for 3 hours at a time and haven't experienced this issue. There has to be a common denominator? Hope you guys get an answer soon and Ford can correct it.

Old 12-02-2018, 09:43 PM
Corona057
New User
I'm having the same

Originally Posted by ldramirez
We have the same thing. We have taken it to 7 dealerships. No codes mean that there is nothing wrong with your truck according to Ford. It happened to us 14 times on out way across country with our brand new truck. Our best friend bought the same truck to tow her trailer and the same thing happened to her, Ford claims there is nothing wrong. We are in a lawsuit with Ford right now. Want the name of our attorney?
I'd like his Info please. Pm it to me please or email corona057@gmail.com

Old 12-14-2018, 10:58 AM
freejeremy
New User
Originally Posted by Corona057
I'd like his Info please. Pm it to me please or email corona057@gmail.com
Same. We purchased a new 2018 Ford F-150 2.7L EB in July. Used it to tow our 6300# TT up in the Candian Rockies. And right off the bat, the moment we tow more than 200 miles at a time, it stalls as soon as you come to a stop. And after refuelling, it will continue to stall when you try to restart the engine. All with no check engine light. After about 10-15 mins of cooling, it will eventually start and idle normally again. We have experimented with both using the tow mode or not (same result), and manually disengaging the auto-stop (same result).

On day 4 as we had just crossed the US-Canadian border, the truck began to show real problems with surging. Eventually, resulted in a check engine light, which led us to have to have the entire fuel injection system replaced. But before you think this might have helped, the answer is no. Even with our brand new fuel injection, the stalling when towing started right back up. It is a real joy when you are in bumper to bumper rush hour traffic in Seattle. I eventually just began to anticipate it, drive with two feet to always keep it idled above the stall point when in stop and go traffic.

Similar to others, took it to several dealers for this issue. But with no check engine/computer notification of the problem, there is nothing we can do. We even brought in video of it stalling. And same as others, other than when she is towing, the truck runs like a dream. Absolutely no problems. But the problem is that we bought it for one purpose, to tow. Ironically, we used to tow it with a Volkswagen Touareg. I can honestly say the Volkswagen did a better job towing. So utterly disappointed in Ford.

If anyone has any update on the root problem, please let me know. I have yet another scheduled appt with Ford next week to try again. This time, I noticed that the coolant in the truck is way low. Well below the line. I am hoping this is somehow tied to the problem since there has been no evidence of external AF/coolant leaking.

Also, for the poster engaging a lawyer on this issue, please shoot over his contact info. Maybe we can get this to the level of a class action. Email freejeremy@gmail.com. Thanks.

Old 12-14-2018, 12:19 PM
freejeremy
New User
Log complaint with NHTSB

Please all, if you are having a similar problem with your 2018 Ford F-150 stalling when towing, please file a complaint at the National Highway Transportation & Safety Board. Very simple form to fill in. The more instances that are filed, the higher the probability Ford will either find a fix or issue a recall. https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

Also, I did find this in looking through the NHTSB site. Looks like one of the earlier complaints is already on record and suggests a "Service Procedure." I'm not exactly sure what that is, but I will be sure to point this out when I take my truck in next week for this issue.

August 17, 2018
MANUFACTURER COMMUNICATION NUMBER: TSB 18-2249

Components: ENGINE
NHTSA ID Number: 10144915
Manufacturer Communication Number: TSB 18-2249
Summary
Some 2018 F-150 vehicles equipped with a 2.7L EcoBoost and built on or before 27-Nov-2017 may exhibit an intermittent engine stall when coming to a stop while towing. Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

Quick Reply: 2.7 ecoboost stalls, dies after towing